Describing Sounds

How do your comments even remotely apply to the topic of this thread?
Because I think some of the challenges in describing "a description of sound" involves tone secrets. And if he asks for suggestions, and likes a suggestion.. he can incorporate the thought in his verbage.. a nice buzz word or two perhaps... or perhaps he finds no value in the comment... and that's ok too.

Last edited:
Extended 4/20 celebration?
And you never heard a musicians tone and said I like that? And the OP is about how difficult it is to describe sound. Often the only thing you can do is dial in a tone... say I like that... and theres no blueprint to that. You have to crack the code, with your ears.

And you never heard a musicians tone and said I like that? And the OP is about how difficult it is to describe sound. Often the only thing you can do is dial in a tone... say I like that... and theres no blueprint to that. You have to crack the code, with your ears.
Ok...

What does organic sound like?

That description of sound always bugged me. Does it sound like dogs barking, cats meowing, whale songs, livestock mooing?

Paper, cloth, and wood are organic, but they don't have inherent sounds in them. The magnetic cores and speaker frames are inorganic.

So, in my mind a lot of these terms and adjectives can be separated into 2 categories: Actual EQ moves you can apply to any tone, and Timbre (which hasnt really been talked about yet but is very much a BIG part of tone). Woody for instance is definitely a descriptor of timbre to me, something where the amp is a little more transparent and the sound of the guitar is defining the sound. I think of something like my tele bridge pup or a hollowbody where the EQ focus is in the low mids (~400hz), but applying a 400hz boost to any tone wont necessarily make it more woody, its an inherent characteristic of a tone. Other terms used are generally just a means of conveying the balance of bass and treble frequencies. Treble is more forward, Bass sits in the background, 3D is essentially bass loud/strong enough to start to get omnidirectional, blanketed is just a filter on the top end.

Back
Top Bottom