Denoising strat - shameless request for recommendations

Check out Zexcoil pickups. They have awesome noiseless strat style pickups. I have their signature set with push/pull pots so I have both noiseless single coil sounds and humbucker sounds. They are pricey (especially for non US people) and don't quite look like traditional single coils.

Looking at these also as a possibility for my CS Strat. The demo for the Z-Core 5 Vintage Hot set sounded pretty good.

Will probably go with the Z-Core 5 Vintage Staggered if I go this route. It swaps one of the lower-output Vintage 5 pickups in the neck and middle spot for their Vintage 5 Underwound, which is even lower output.

Was also looking at the DiMarzio Area pickups and Kinman's Magnum Opus V3 models.

TBH, might just get more Fralins and be done with it if replacing pickups. :D I've been thinking about a couple of their Split Steel Pole Strat (in a 5% underwound flavor, with 4+ cable, and one with reversed magnet) for my blue Frankenstrat ever since the full-strength one came for the cheapie Rogue lap steel. I could then move the one righty HO Split Blade into the CS, along with a couple of their Vintage output Split Blades and be done with it all.

So many options.

So far, the Ilitch system looks like the lowest cost performant option for the CS Strat de-hum-ification....

Last edited:
So many suggestions, thanks heaps to everyone.

I’m thinking the Ulbrick sounds like an excellent bet, as well as Armstrong wiring. If it reduces the problem by 85-90% that might be enough. Also if I lose some top-end… great!

It’s a vintera 60s modified, so it’s got a button on the volume knob that engages the neck pup. I never use it because it’s too muddy, so a blend pot would be nice. Then I’ve gotta think what I could use that button for, I hate having it and not using it. I want to push buttons!

It’s a vintera 60s modified, so it’s got a button on the volume knob that engages the neck pup. I never use it because it’s too muddy, so a blend pot would be nice. Then I’ve gotta think what I could use that button for, I hate having it and not using it. I want to push buttons!
You could do something like a push pull mod that bypasses all the controls, switches etc and runs the bridge pickup straight to the output jack to get its maximum possible signal for lead breaks......

or something that allows you to have a series/parallel option a'la Fender's own Greasebucket circuit....

Seymour Duncan
Hot, Cool and Vintage Rails
You can split coils on bridge and neck-sounds clean with plenty of output. Quiet until split…
I don’t think you’ll ever be in jeopardy of losing that Strat sound’s regardless of pickups.

I'm looking at Fishman singles. Greg Koch has a signature model which sounds good in demos and swears they are dead silent.
Does anyone has an experience? Fishman Abasi's in a single coil mode are dead silent when the power is good, but if there is EMI, they are just like any other pickup, so I wonder how actually silent Fishman single coils are.

I have 2 guitars with Kinman pickups and I like them a lot. Nice single coil tone without head-removing shrill, but much much lower noise. They're not dull sounding like some noiseless pickups. I also have the Ilitch back plate on one guitar, I don't know, it doesn't seem to be 100% effective with the noise, as that guitar is still somewhat noisy. It also requires all three pickups to be winded the same way, so sets with RWRP middle pickups are not optimal

Last edited:
Don't waste time and effort with copper tape . Good components will do this for you better . Screened output cable is all you need if you have a problem, everything else is screened enough already and if you screen single coils it changes the tone for the worse.
Using real single coils shouldn't be a problem these days ,most manage it with no problems if you just roll the volume whenever you stop playing but we already all do this , don't we?

I'm looking at Fishman singles. Greg Koch has a signature model which sounds good in demos and swears they are dead silent.
Does anyone has an experience? Fishman Abasi's in a single coil mode are dead silent when the power is good, but if there is EMI, they are just like any other pickup, so I wonder how actually silent Fishman single coils are.
They are pretty silent but they don't sound anything like single coils.

+1 for Zexcoils, I have a strat with their convertibles in the bridge and neck and a strat that I put their new tru gauge ones in for a vintage underwound option.

Ulbrick also make a noise reduction system for Strat's and they're based in Aus. Works well.
The Ulbrick system is more affordable than the Illitch units too. Although, the Illitch is tuneable where on the Ulbrick, you just order one closest to the resistance of your pickups.

I have 2 guitars with Kinman pickups and I like them a lot. Nice single coil tone without head-removing shrill, but much much lower noise. They're not dull sounding like some noiseless pickups. I also have the Ilitch back plate on one guitar, I don't know, it doesn't seem to be 100% effective with the noise, as that guitar is still somewhat noisy. It also requires all three pickups to be winded the same way, to sets with RWRP middle pickups are out.
Actually, with a 4p5t super switch, the Illitch can do RWRP middle. I am in the beginning stages of modifying a 4p5t switch so one wafer is a standard Strat 5-way, in preparation for trying the Illitch back plate on my CS Strat....

Before you look at changing pickups I’d check that:
1. Your guitar cavities are earthed.
2. The venue’s wiring isn’t faulty.
If neither of those are the answer then I’d take a humbucker guitar for that particular venue.

Back
Top Bottom