Demo Model Guitars

Jipps0525

Power User
If you found a demo model of a guitar you really want that has dents, scratches and blemishes, how do you evaluate if the company/online retailer is selling it at the right price? Or if it should be discounted more? Especially, if their pictures don’t accurately capture stated faults in the guitar and they admit this in the description?

If you found a demo model of a guitar you really want that has dents, scratches and blemishes, how do you evaluate if the company/online retailer is selling it at the right price? Or if it should be discounted more? Especially, if their pictures don’t accurately capture stated faults in the guitar and they admit this in the description?
If it's a guitar I really wanted, I'd ask about their return policy for demo models and see if they're flexible on the price.

If it's a guitar I really wanted, I'd ask about their return policy for demo models and see if they're flexible on the price.
It’s sweetwater; Return policy is the same and they went down a wee bit more on the price but nothing too significant. They’re not much more flexible because they said since it’s a demo it’s already been discounted. But without very accurate pictures it’s hard to say either way. With taxes you’re right back at the brand new guitar price anyway 😂😂

It’s sweetwater; Return policy is the same and they went down a wee bit more on the price but nothing too significant. They’re not much more flexible because they said since it’s a demo it’s already been discounted. But without very accurate pictures it’s hard to say either way. With taxes you’re right back at the brand new guitar price anyway 😂😂
Sweetwater does have a good return policy.

FWIW: I bought a LOT of gear from Sweetwater for 20 years. But stopped after buying new guitars from them that had problems - dead pickups, finish and construction issues, shipping the wrong item, etc. And, they weren't always helpful in getting things resolved. So, I stopped buying from them a few years ago.

Here's a post about my SW experience:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/picked-out-my-next-guitar.171775/post-2075975

Things took an interesting turn. So I asked the sales rep if they could go any lower but no answer yet. Price is still the same on sweetwater site…but on reverb the company (listed under a different seller) has a lower price than the website! So the salesman could’ve gone lower if they wanted

Edit: looks like the price is lower on reverb because of reverb offering 10% off lol. Didn’t even know they could do that

Last edited:
Are you using Sweetwater's financing, or paying outright?
Sweetwater salesmen usually have more room to discount if your not using the financing.

I've been able to get several packs of strings or other accessories thrown in when I couldn't get a decent discount.

Are you using Sweetwater's financing, or paying outright?
Sweetwater salesmen usually have more room to discount if your not using the financing.

I've been able to get several packs of strings or other accessories thrown in when I couldn't get a decent discount.
I’d pay outright but prob try to take advantage of a credit card bonus lol

Back
Top Bottom