Delete/Initialize Global Blocks?

What kind of initialization do you want to do? A perfect initial state for you might not be a good one for someone else. Meanwhile, you can put it into whatever state you want.

I'm not sure I follow the global-block delete thing, either. If you delete a global block, do you want it to just disappear in all the presets it shows up in? Do you want it to be replaced by a shunt? Depending on your routing, that could dramatically change the sound in different ways for different presets.

I want to 'empty the block', as far as I'm able to ascertain...I can't. It either keeps what I put in it, or I put something else in on top of it. No way to empty/reset it.

My specific gripe might be more directly made regarding Axe-Edit though; every time I select an object that has a global block, it defaults to the global block setting.

Wait and see if this is fixed in 6.0. They've apparently done a major overhaul of the communications between the AxeFX-II and Axe-Edit. This might allow you to delete/empty blocks.

every time I select an object that has a global block, it defaults to the global block setting.
That's the whole idea behind global blocks. Without that behavior, there's no point in using global blocks at all. :)

If you don't want it to do that, you can unlink that block from the global block.

I thought the idea behind global blocks was to 'save' common settings...which is great. Making those common settings the default behavior is where I have a problem.

Let's say I unintentionally create a global block for Pitch 1. Now every time I add Pitch 1 to a patch, it grabs the global settings (in Axe-Edit, anyway) and I have to unlink it.

Seems it would be more intuitive to make global linking an act of volition, rather than the default.

There is a way to save favorite block settings in Axe Edit that is separate from the global block system. Maybe you're confusing the two?

I've never had Axe Edit default me to a global block just by dropping an effect into the grid, not sure what's happening there.

I've never had Axe Edit default me to a global block just by dropping an effect into the grid, not sure what's happening there.

That's exactly what's happening here. I have inadvertantly poplated 'global block 4' for Pitch 2. Whenever I drop Pitch 2 into a patch with Axe-Edit, it links to Global Block 4.

It doesn't do this from the front panel.

I'm actually kinda with AdmiralB on this one. I'd like the option to "delete" global blocks, or at least make them blank like they were when I received my Axe-Fx II.

An empty global block slot is the effect in default state.
So, to clear a specific global block slot, press Bypass twice to reset that slot.

What AdmiralB is asking is something else it seems. Whenever an effect block is saved as a global effect, the Axe-Fx "remembers" this (per-preset behavior). When deleting and adding that effect again, the Axe-Fx automatically makes it a global block again. This is one of those cases where some people probably like this behavior, and some don't.

An empty global block slot is the effect in default state.
So, to clear a specific global block slot, press Bypass twice to reset that slot.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, this doesn't reset the slot. It just brings up the global block menu that allows me to link/unlink.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, this doesn't reset the slot. It just brings up the global block menu that allows me to link/unlink.
That's how I thought it worked, too.

As a workaround, you could make a global entry for your pitch block that contains the values you'd like the block to default to.

Last edited:
regardless, loading a new block into a patch should not load/assign any global setting. something is wrong there. as you said it doesn't happen with the front panel, so maybe this should be reported as an axe-edit bug.

Doubleclick Bypass, not Eff.Bypass.

Thanks for being patient...but apparently I'm still doing it wrong. Where should I 'be' when I double-press Bypass? I've tried it when in the link/save/load screen, and it the regular edit screen for the effect in question, and got no results.

EDIT - I see what you mean. We're talking about two different things, I think. Your suggestion does initialize the block. But what I want to do is erase the saved global settings. Specifically, in Pitch 2, global block '4' is populated, the rest are empty. I'd like to empty '4' also.

I don't even know of a way to completely initialize the entire unit.

Last edited:
When you've loaded a global block slot in the Pitch block, pressing Eff.Bypass twice quickly will reset the Pitch settings to their defaults. That's goes only for that specific slot and, IMHO, is the same as having an empty global slot. Then save the preset to store it.

AFAIK there's no way currently to "empty" global slots. Other than using the hidden option to erase everything (you won't want to do that).
And no idea either why emptying global slots would be useful.

Back
Top Bottom