Delays In Axe-2

boleary2

Inspired
I just got my axe2 rig all put together and I really really love it. The 2 is what I was missing in the ultra from the amp/pedal combo and the other effects in it are so stellar. Here's
the big but though....I did a duo gig with another player (he was using a badcat and strymon elcapistan) and I noticed I cannot get my delays to sound as warm and present as his el capistain does. The delays in the axe sound nice, but I just cannot get the "character" that the el cap had (modulation/warmth/schmear). I run the delay in parallel as the level drop when increasing the mix has always bothered me...I also find my tone just maintains better character when in parallel mode. I had a Strymon Timeline and loved loved the mod
it had and the way the delays when turned on fit so well...no change in the drive character of my amp and pedals and the the delay just sounded so good even if the mix was high.

So, I am planning on working my butt off to get a strymon/korg sdd-3000 tone from my axe as I really want to get a vibey/organic (daniel lanois) tone from the delay. If anyone has any suggestion on what I need to do to get this going I would appreciate it. I really like the strymon stuff and was thinking I could put a timeline in the loop, but I don't really want to buy anything else!!

hhhmmmm, not really what I want to hear :cry

I am really hoping to be able to get the El Capistan "Warmth" that you are talking about, I love the El Capistan sound....but lack presets / MIDI is driving me nuts.

But seriously.... I am hope there is a way to get the warmth..Dons G1 patch is REALLY good, so I am pretty confident we will get there.

Can't help at the moment though as I don't have a II ...yet, but I will be straight on the case when I do get it.

Cliff has given us all of the tools we need. The toolbox is so deep and expansive that all that's left to do is to find the ones that work. There's no real magic in the Capistan that can't be achieved with the given parameters and algorithms.

Cliff has given us all of the tools we need. The toolbox is so deep and expansive that all that's left to do is to find the ones that work. There's no real magic in the Capistan that can't be achieved with the given parameters and algorithms.

yes, i know this.

what I am looking for are some tips on how to get there or at least an understanding of what parameters
to manipulate to get in the ballpark. since there are discussions of how to dial in convincing amp tones and "shortcuts" or "methods"
that people share, I was hoping to get they same type of collective going here. Not just for my benefit, but for others as well.

Use the EQ in the delay block to get your warmth. Check the stock settings for the "tape delay" and "analog delay" to use as a baseline for the EQ.

EQ is flat out the most important and powerful tool that most folks do not understand.

It is one aspect of what you are trying to achieve here; but it's a vitally important component of it.

just been playing with it and Scott is right, the EQ does seem to be a big part of it.....I have not had long to play, but I am pretty sure it is possible to get the vibe.

There still a colouration in the dry signal that makes the El Capistan stand out in the mix (time for a bit of EQ and drive analysis me thinks) as it is this that is what is great about the El Cap IMHO and makes it sound better than the other Tape Sims.

Thanks for the tip Scott.

Cheers

Martin

ok, been playing with it for a bit and here is my first stab at the preset I used to leave the El Capistan on...which is basically a toned down and tuned to my taste version of the strymon "Saturated Wash" setting.

The "Shiva Sat El Cap.syx" is a full preset based on Sean's excellent "Shiva on the Rocks" with the added Mono Tape Delay before the Amp

The "EC Saturated Wash.syx" is an Effect Preset containing just the Delay Block....needs to be saved into the /Users/<USER NAME>/Documents/Fractal Audio/Workspace/AxeEdit/Effects folder

For me the magic seemed to come in boosting the drive and then the EQ when I made it more high pass and boosted some of the the bands a little.

Has more of the El Capistan warmth to my ears.

Hope that helps fellas

Attachments

• Shiva Sat El Cap.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 29
  • EC Saturated Wash.syx
    1.6 KB · Views: 25
Try using a higher filter slope, if you are not already.

Hi Sean,

Filter in the delay EQ or do you mean a separate block?

I am trying to keep the EQ in the delay block to make bypassing it easy.

the EQ is like this....

Sat Wash EQ 1.jpg

thanks for the help on this.

Cheers

Martin

I spent several hours last night working on the delays to see if I could come up with something that mimics the Timeline and I must admit that I am still
not at a place that I am happy. I think the delays sound good in the axe2, but even with the additional (and really cool) added parameters I cannot get the
same feel as the timeline (or even timefactor) when I kick it in. I am going to keep working on it though...I may have to grab a timeline again at some
point and really work to get it there. Wondering if Cliff can add some of the parameters in the strymon to the axe2 delays (bucket loss, tape speed age bias and crinkle, wow and flutter, smear, swell with rise time, and maybe a little more control of the mod section...like choosing between a digital or analog type mod...) I think i'll place this in the wish section!!

btw thanks!

thanks BMF for your work on this and posting the preset. I am going to use what you have as my initial jumping off point! If I come up with anything cool I will post it.

I spent several hours last night working on the delays to see if I could come up with something that mimics the Timeline and I must admit that I am still
not at a place that I am happy. I think the delays sound good in the axe2, but even with the additional (and really cool) added parameters I cannot get the
same feel as the timeline (or even timefactor) when I kick it in. I am going to keep working on it though...I may have to grab a timeline again at some
point and really work to get it there. Wondering if Cliff can add some of the parameters in the strymon to the axe2 delays (bucket loss, tape speed age bias and crinkle, wow and flutter, smear, swell with rise time, and maybe a little more control of the mod section...like choosing between a digital or analog type mod...) I think i'll place this in the wish section!!

what would be the difference between the digital and analog mod?

i guess the ability to control the hi-pass filter similar to the chorus block...that was off of the top of my head, if you think that is a lame suggestion i'll strike it from the record :) I was initially thinking it would be cool to place phase, trem, etc as options for the delay mod..similar to what TC has in the gsystem. i think the main thing was just having additional parameter control over the mod section in the delay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom