Delays/FX sucking tone/ othef questions

Hey everyone,

I've been having some trouble making presets that I like. I'm fairly satisfied with my basic amp tone, but as soon as I add delay all the body of my tone disappears. I've checked the eq on the delay, and it's flat.

Also, I can't quite seem to get the right balance of mix/level/feedback mix. I'm used to using a dd-20, so I'm used to delay time, e-level, and feedback.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your delay is in series do you have the level set to 3.0 dB? If its at 0, it will be quieter than bypassed, and may be causing the difference in tone. Play around with the delay before and after the amp/cab. You also can try the multi delay to mess with the level of the repeats and how the start to fade.

Use the delay in parralel...mix 100%, bypass mode mute in, use delay level to set the amount
Of mix....

Hey everyone,

I've been having some trouble making presets that I like. I'm fairly satisfied with my basic amp tone, but as soon as I add delay all the body of my tone disappears. I've checked the eq on the delay, and it's flat.

Also, I can't quite seem to get the right balance of mix/level/feedback mix. I'm used to using a dd-20, so I'm used to delay time, e-level, and feedback.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use the delay in parralel...mix 100%, bypass mode mute in, use delay level to set the amount
Of mix....

Exactly.. I used vintage type amps with no FX loop before using the Axe FX, so having the ability to run effects in parallel was one of my favorite aspects of going to the Axe FX. The wiki has some great info on running delay in parallel, although Semih covered the jist of it. One thing I would point out is to run your delay and reverb at the end of the grid (far right) of your presets vs. in front of the amp block. I do both, placing a delay at the end for a cleaner delay sound that stays out of the way vs. running a delay (or spring reverb) in front of the amp block for something more similar to how I used to run delay pedals in front of amps (a little more lo fi, etc.).

Here's another thread where clarky, one of the most helpful and knowledgeable forum members, had some good advice on delays:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/54705-delay-echo-reverb-help.html

FWIW, the upcoming V11 firmware has a new mix algorithm for the delay blocks which keeps the dry level constant until the mix is 50% and then decreases above that. So it's like putting your delay in parallel but without the extra effort. The mix knob essentially becomes "wet level".

FWIW, the upcoming V11 firmware has a new mix algorithm for the delay blocks which keeps the dry level constant until the mix is 50% and then decreases above that. So it's like putting your delay in parallel but without the extra effort. The mix knob essentially becomes "wet level".

Fantastic, Cliff. :D

Same for Reverb?

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Can't wait for 11.

Cliff - can you explain why the "tone" of the stereo delay generally sounds different than the initial guitar tone? I think its a fantastic artifact - in a very good way! :encouragement:

BTW - I am using the stereo and ping pong delays. Just trying to figure out why things sounds like they do so I can grow as a preset editor as fast as possible (I use V11b + AE1.9 to edit my presets). :geek

Cliff, speaking of the Mix parameter, is it possible to add one in the Wah block too?
Very handy for a number of things.

Back
Top Bottom