Delay when switching scenes/amps when using Drive pedal (not using X/Y)

Daribo

Sorry if this has been already covered. I'm aware of a possible delay when you are switching X/Y states of an amp, especially when the models are drastically different.

I have just put together a virtual pedal board for a dep gig I'm doing at the Weekend, quite a simple affair with two amp blocks and two cab blocks (arranged in parallel on the grid), one for clean and one for distortion. Scenes are as follows:

Scene one - clean amp (amp 1)
Scene two - clean amp with drive pedal (drive 2) engaged, just to give it a little edge
Scene three - dirty amp (amp 2)
Scene four - dirty amp with drive pedal (drive 1) engaged, to give higher gain.
Scene five - as scene four, but with a volume boost for solos.

I also have a few other effects I can switch in and out as I see fit.

If I change between scenes one, three, four and five (backwards, forwards - any way) - there is NO gap between changes at all.
If I change from scene one to scene two, there is NO gap at all.

However, when I am on the clean amp with the drive engaged and I change to any scene with amp2 (scenes three to five) or back, there is an annoying delay.

Why would using a drive pedal on the clean amp then cause a delay when switching to amp 2? I thought using two different amps and steering away from X/Y was supposed to be seamless?

Again, apologies if this has been covered - I did search but could not find anything this specific.

Many thanks

When you say Amp2, you mean a second amp box?
When I use two different amos in my Amp1, one for X and one for Y, I have no issues. It used to be two amp boxes, and after I moved from two amp boxes to one amp box with X/Y, CPU usage was reduced from 74% to 50ish%.

Cheers,
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I use two different amos in my Amp1, one for X and one for Y, I have no issues. It used to be two amp boxes, and after I moved from two amp boxes to one amp box with X/Y, CPU usage was reduced from 74% to 50ish%.

Cheers,
Rob

Yes - two different amp blocks, not using X & Y. I am aware (and have experienced) delays in switching between two different amps when using X & Y which is why I'm using two amp blocks - this works perfectly unless I have the drive pedal engaged when I switch. Very strange.

Will try and post a patch soon - didn't have a chance last night in the end.

Any ideas welcome

Wow - I hadn't noticed that at all - I never thought of checking the bypassed blocks and have no idea why that would have been changed from 'X'!

Thank you so much for your quick response - I'm most grateful indeed.

Hi -

This patch has X/Y switches across the amps in many scenes:

Scene 1 : Amp 2 (bypassed) in Y state
Scene 3 : Amp 1 (bypassed) in Y state
Scene 4 : Amp 2 (active) in Y state
Scene 8 : Amp 1 (active) in Y state

Those X/Y switches will cause gaps when you switch to a scene with different X/Y state for the amp.

So, I need to reorganize the x and y states, but basically, it's unavoidable to some degree if I'm using both amps and their x and y states?

if your CPU is already below 90% or so, lowering it more probably won't prevent gaps. the gap is due to the amp switching from X to Y or Y to X.

as i understand it, it needs to "stop" the X amp to start the Y amp (that's a VERY simple explanation). there are so many parameters that can change - it's not about which ones are changing vs which aren't. that would probably create problems for the processor to estimate how much CPU it needs when switching. so they just elected to halt all parameters when switching XY. this leads to a gap to prevent pops from a ton of parameters changing.

Well, as it sits, the cpu is at 93 or 94%.

So, if I'm going to switch amps, i need to have the xy state preselected in the scene before to allow for gapless switching?

Cheers,
Rob

Never ever. Amp-Blocks work on their own dedicated CPU. Second Amp-Block increase approx. CPU by 3%.

I think I'll try bringing it down to just two different amps, no x/y as I need to be able to switch between any level of gain seamlessly.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Glad to be here!

maybe use scene controllers too to get varied levels of gain with the same amp(s) with different scenes? probably setup an inverse relationship with the Level parameter with the same scene controller as well.

Back
Top Bottom