Fixed Delay parameter in the Cabinet block

kisslorand

Experienced
I use the delay parameter in the cabinet block for comb filtering (stereo cab block, both cabs centered, one cab delayed), to tame the HF in a more natural way than the high cut parameter does. However the parameter doesn't work as expected under values of 0.042 ms. Below this value it still has an effect but it is very subtle. The difference between 0.041 ms and 0.042 ms is much more than between 0.042 ms and 0.043 ms.
So from 0.042 ms upwards the effect is gradually, as expected, but if you go under 0.042 ms, it is like going a big step down. Under 0.020 ms the effect is null.
Make an experiment. Use a stereo cab block, both IR the same, both centered. Put a delay to one cab and use NULL as mic for one cab and INVERT as mic for the other. Under 0.020 ms you will get no sound, between 0.020 ms and 0.041 ms a very thin sound, after 0.042 ms you'll hear more and more from the spectral of the guitar sound.
I would like to use 0.028 ms (based on calculations it will start to drop frequencies at 9kHz) but as it is now I still have to use the high cut.
I have an AxeFX Mark I and it has been like that since I got it (FW5).

Last edited:
I suspect this is an Axe-Edit issue. The parameter is only adjustable in 0.01 ms increments.

Sorry, I didn't mention I was using Axe-Edit to make those adjustments.
So, if it's not a bug than I turn it into a wish.
I wish cab delay parameter being adjustable by 0.001 ms increments.

You can use a modifier key to force AE into using smaller values.

Axe-Edit can adjust it by increments of 0.001 ms but the AxeFx itself uses only multiples of 0.01 ms. So the "bug" is inside the AxeFx unit.

Axe-Edit can adjust it by increments of 0.001 ms but the AxeFx itself uses only multiples of 0.01 ms. So the "bug" is inside the AxeFx unit.
Based on Cliff's response, the bug is in Axe-Edit. It's allowing you to adjust a parameter at a level of precision that is not supported.

That was already understood. Yek suggested to fine adjust in Axe-Edit, I responded to him that the limitation is inside the AxeFx unit.
Hence the wish to increase the precision of the cab's delay parameter in the AxeFx unit.

It seems that the AxeFX unit accepts increments of 0.001 ms.
CAB Delay.jpg
However, it accepts it by using AxeEdit. From the unit's front panel it jumps to multiples of 0.01 ms.
It is strange that the difference in sound appears between 0.041 ms and 0.042 ms, not between 0.040 and 0.041 ms as it is expected if the unit uses only 0.01 increments. Also 0.020 ms has no effect at all an this might be a true bug in the FW.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom