Delay mix at 85% with trails, but without lowering dry level when bypassed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
Title says it all, but I'll ask again:

How do I have a delay set to 85% mix, with trails enabled, but not have the dry level reduced when the effect is bypassed?

No problem doing this on the Helix, it just does it. But for the life of me, I've never been able to get this to happen on a Fractal product.

Peace out!

Title says it all, but I'll ask again:

How do I have a delay set to 85% mix, with trails enabled, but not have the dry level reduced when the effect is bypassed?

No problem doing this on the Helix, it just does it. But for the life of me, I've never been able to get this to happen on a Fractal product.

Peace out!
Put the mix around 40% perhaps.

I might be mistaken about the specifics of the mix law, but I believe anything over 50% reduces the dry level by definition. If it didn’t, going over 50% would make everything louder.

If I’m interpreting what you want correctly, “85% mix” means that the delay sound is almost exactly as loud as the dry, right?

The delay uses Mix Law for the mix knob. The dry signal stays constant at unity until Mix reaches 50% then decreases linearly to zero. Conversely the wet signal starts at zero and then increases linearly to unity when Mix reaches 50%.

So if you're running in series the answer is: keep the mix at 50% or less and the dry signal level will be the same when the block is engaged or bypassed.

You might find this all easier to control with the delay block in parallel. I do.

I'd put the delay in parallel at 100% and adjust the level to what you want. I'll guess that 85% of the dry volume would be around -3db or so (?). Start there and dial to taste.

I'd put the delay in parallel at 100% and adjust the level to what you want. I'll guess that 85% of the dry volume would be around -3db or so (?). Start there and dial to taste.
not criticizing anything at all, but having to guess the Level to reduce is why i just stay in series and use the Mix with a percentage under 50%.

both methods get the same result, so definitely use what ever makes more sense to you. for me, series and % works best. *shrug*

85% mix means that 85% of your signal is delay, and only 15% is your dry signal. Are you sure that's what you want?

There are two ways that I would handle this.....
  1. Scenes - Put another 'Low-CPU' block (Filter, Vol/Pan, PEQ, etc...) in front of the Delay block and boost the level there by having it 'on' in any scenes where the Delay block is bypassed.
  2. Control Switch - Attach the bypass states of the Delay and the 'Low-CPU' blocks to the same 'Control Switch'. Invert the 'Min' and 'Max' values of the 'Low-CPU' block so that it is 'off' when the Delay block is 'on'

Yes, that’s exactly what I want for volume swells.
Your intentions are a little unclear. Is this what you seek?

- When delay is bypassed, dry signal is unity gain
- When delay is activated, dry signal is 15% of unity gain, delay signal is unity gain

Is that correct? So engaging the delay block ducks the dry signal and bypassing it un-ducks the dry signal?

Just to be clear, this is a ridiculously easy task on the Helix or even a normal delay pedal. You just set the mix to 85% and when you bypass the delay the dry signal is not attenuated.
can you describe what "85%" means to you? it is easy on the Axe-Fx as well.

You do want the dry level to get louder when delay is bypassed, correct? If you said "return to unity gain" rather than "no change" the post would be less confusing.

Lowering mix to 50% when bypassing (mute fx in) would do that.

How the Mix functions when a block is engaged or bypassed is a design decision. It was decided to use a different approach on the Helix than on the Fractal units. If you prefer the way it's done on the Helix, use a Helix. Claiming "it's ridiculously easy on the Helix" over and over is pointless and counter-productive. Either approach is valid and comes with pros and cons.

Now...

Run the delay in parallel with a filter block and assign an IA to do two things: bypass/engage the delay which should be 100% mix, and bypass/engage the filter which should have its level set to -6 dB or so (tune it to taste). Done. Turning the IA on turns the delay on and drops the volume of the dry signal. Turning it off restores the dry signal and bypasses the delay. You can have trails with this approach. You can assign the same CC# to the filter block and the delay if you like. Or use an external CC and attach it to bypass/engage on both blocks. Your choice.

There's probably more ways to skin the cat here that others will point out, but that's how I'd approach it.

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 5.31.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 5.31.22 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom