Default Effects in Effects Mode

alex1fly

Inspired
Hi all, hope you don't mind my basic questions as I work through the unit. I've read all three manuals and have been watching LT as I can, and am spending that post-kid-bedtime-and-wife-hangout evening time using the FM3 as a sandbox for tone. Something I'm finding odd is that when I switch the footswitch layout to Effects Mode, the default effects are not always in the chain. I can't remember the specific one but as an example I'll go to a Preset, change to Effects layout, the footswitches will by default be set up to toggle, say, Amp and Delay and Chorus... but Delay won't be in the chain, so when I hit that footswitch it will say "Delay is not in the chain" or whatever the wording is. I certainly get that you can move around which effects get toggled by which footswitches in the Effects footswitch layout, but I'm wondering if there's a way to have the footswitch-toggled-effects that load up by default be the actual blocks in the Preset's chain. Does that resonate (hehe) with anybody?

Thanks, Alex

They footswitches in the layouts are predefined. If you define a footswitch as Rotary Bypass, that’s what it will be, whether you have a Rotary block in your preset or not.

Per-Preset footswitches can be used to set up footswitches for each individual preset.

Thanks. Maybe I'm getting hung up on semantics and inexperience. I understand that I could program the footswitches to toggle the blocks on/off, or toggle blocks on/off in the Layout screen. Just thought it'd be neat to have the "pedalboard" come up for each preset and automap to the footswitches, kind of like how Scene Mode automaps the footswitches to the scenes in the preset, and Preset Mode automaps the footswitches to the nearest bank of presets.

I'm seeing that in the Effects layout every preset has Amp1, Megatap 1, and Reverb 1 as the first three footswitchable blocks. This is global, then, and no automapping for Effects layout? Not a critique, just trying to understand :)

I couldn't quite grasp the per-preset concept when reading the manual... I'll get there eventually!

Thanks. Maybe I'm getting hung up on semantics and inexperience. I understand that I could program the footswitches to toggle the blocks on/off, or toggle blocks on/off in the Layout screen. Just thought it'd be neat to have the "pedalboard" come up for each preset and automap to the footswitches, kind of like how Scene Mode automaps the footswitches to the scenes in the preset, and Preset Mode automaps the footswitches to the nearest bank of presets.

I'm seeing that in the Effects layout every preset has Amp1, Megatap 1, and Reverb 1 as the first three footswitchable blocks. This is global, then, and no automapping for Effects layout? Not a critique, just trying to understand :)

I couldn't quite grasp the per-preset concept when reading the manual... I'll get there eventually!
The scene layout doesn’t auto-map the Scenes. There are always 8 scenes in any preset and the switches happen to have 8 scenes programmed in a certain order/position. Effects are different because there aren’t the same effects/blocks in every preset. How would it know what order to put them in? An effect could be on different switches in different presets which is very confusing.

The layouts are meant to be adjusted. Change the effects layout to what you want, or use per-preset switches or overrides to change things per preset.

The scene layout doesn’t auto-map the Scenes. There are always 8 scenes in any preset and the switches happen to have 8 scenes programmed in a certain order/position. Effects are different because there aren’t the same effects/blocks in every preset. How would it know what order to put them in? An effect could be on different switches in different presets which is very confusing.

The layouts are meant to be adjusted. Change the effects layout to what you want, or use per-preset switches or overrides to change things per preset.
Okay, thanks for the explanation. I do appreciate it! I guess I thought it would know what order to put them in based on the order of blocks in the preset. All good!

Okay, thanks for the explanation. I do appreciate it! I guess I thought it would know what order to put them in based on the order of blocks in the preset. All good!
the FX8 product actually did that, but again, effects would potentially be on different switches in different presets which would be very confusing in practical use. most customers didn't like that behavior and it was eventually updated so you could designate the switches separately.

some things that are "obvious" to our minds aren't obvious to a computer system that doesn't know what we want to achieve, so we'll have to manually set things up the way we want :)

Last edited:

Any effect can be assigned to a footswitch globally but if a particular effect is not present in a preset, the switch will have no functionality. Using your example as preset 1 and it contains Amp 1, Megatap 1 and Reverb 1 blocks, the corresponding global footswitches will perform their assigned function.

If preset 2 contains an Amp 1 block and Reverb 1 block but does not contain the Megatap 1 block, but has a Plex 1 block, the footswitches for the Amp 1 and Reverb block will function as expected but there would be no switch shown for the Plex 1 block and the footswitch assigned to the Megatap will have no functionality.

Regarding Per-Preset, let's assign the FC Megatap 1 footswitch in the effects layout to be a Per-Preset>Placeholder>PP#1. This now assigns the switch to Per Preset Switch #1 which in essence reserves this switch for assignment to different functions depending upon the needs within a particular preset. Within the preset, using the FC Per-Preset button in Axe-Edit III or on the Axe-Fx III, select PP#1 to assign whichever function is needed.

Using preset 1 containing the Amp 1, Megatap 1 and Reverb 1 blocks, assign the PP#1 switch to Effect>Bypass>Megatap 1. This switch now controls the bypass state of the Megatap 1 block. Using preset 2, assigning PP#1 to Effect>Bypass>Plex 1 would now give that switch control over the bypass state of the Plex 1 block within that particular preset. If the switch is not assigned to any function in preset 3, it will appear as "PerPrst#1" on the FC Controller.

If in preset 3 however, you would like to access Scene 4 with the footswitch, you could assign PP#1 to Scene>Select>4.
The function of the switch will change depending upon what it's assigned to Per-Preset.

Back
Top Bottom