Deconstructing John Suhr’s PT-100 Amp …?

R.D.

Power User
I’m making an attempt to copy John Suhr’s PT-100 …. The clip I’m working from is a PT-100 played through a CAA 2x12 w/V30’s & mic’ed by a Shure SM-58 ( posted at HRI by Mmmasa ). Props to him for putting it out there ! If you haven’t heard the clip, it’s a good representation of what the PT-100 can do.

Here’s the link: http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56044

Anyway, I started with the JCM800 because everyone is saying that the PT-100 is a JCM on steroids ! And I wanted to start with something that has an EL-34 Power Amp section. The tonality is right, but I quickly found out that there’s not enough pre-amp gain. I have to run both the pre-Amp and the Master up beyond 7 ( almost to 8 ) to get anywhere close ( and that includes both the bright and boost ON ). I tried running a Null Filter out front to approximate another gain stage, but all that did was make everything noisy ….

Then I experimented with the 3+SE Rhy ( & LD ) too. Those both have sufficient ( in fact more than sufficient ) gain. But since I think Cliff modeled the MESA 2:90 Power Amp section with 6L6’s, the tonality isn’t there ( actually not even close ). I even flipped back and forth between the Plexi and Wrecker tonestacks. Ultimately I settled on the Plexi. But the Marshall tone just doesn’t come back ….

So, the $ 64,000 question: Is there anyway to “marry” the 3+SE with an EL-34 based Power Amp ? Other than to have Cliff re-work the 3+SE Models ?

And that was the easy part …. Next …, how do I approximate the Whomp II and the Feedback control ?

I’m obviously thinking the “Feedback” should be related to the amps negative feedback loop ? That means some combination of Damp & Deep should get it done for me …. John has given some values for the control ( shown below ):

0 = 0.47 K
5 = 100 K
10 = 150 K

Any idea what that translates to in terms of the Damp & Deep in the Axe ?

And I don’t have a clue about how the Whomp II works ? I know how it sounds, but not how it “works” !

Has anyone tried to duplicate something like this in the Axe yet ?

The main thing is the EL-34 Power Section. If I could do that, I think everything else might be able to be worked around ? Then I might be able to really nail both a PT-100 and the OD-100SE+ ( which is significantly different than the pre-amp ) ….

Anyway, thanks for reading …. Suggestions are definitely welcome !

The "mixing power sections" discussion has been talked about before. I can't remember what our verdict was. Maybe we didn't even have one.

Can't seem to get the MP3 to play, and have not used a PT-100 myself, but I find it strange that an almost cranked JCM800 plus boost doesn't have enough gain for... well, just about anything. :lol:

If I can get the MP3 to play when I'm at home, I might dick around a bit to see how far I get.

That clip definitely sounds gritty!!! Sorry I can't help... I have no clue on how to get that tone... :D

mortega76 said:
I have no clue on how to get that tone... :D

I'm close, but not close enough ! Plus given that I know the exact settings ( on the PT-100 ) that the clip was recorded with .... I'm on another planet completely when you compare the settings of my patch to what was used ....

I'll try to post what I've got so far on Axechange, then anyone that wants to try can download it and tweak for themselves.

FWIW - I put a thread in the Wish List section for the ability to match the JCM800 Power Amp ( w/EL-34's ) to the 3+SE Rhy & Ld Pre-Amp.

That should allow anyone that wants to try to nail John Shur's most popular amps ( the PT-100 & OD-100SE+ ), especially since most everyone is ordering them with the EL-34 & Plexi Tranny options.

No one has mention the cab and how it is mic'd. Wouldn't that play an even more important role to achieving such a specific sound.

javajunkie said:
No one has mention the cab and how it is mic'd. Wouldn't that play an even more important role to achieving such a specific sound.

java ...,

That is a very good point ! The Axe dosen't have a 2x12 w/V-30's. But I did audition all of the available 2x12 choices and NOTHING was even close. I did get pretty decent results with the 4x12 V-30 cab. And I can't remember but, I don't think I ended up using a mic sim ?

I'll have to look at the patch tonight before I upload it.

R.D. said:
javajunkie said:

java ...,

That is a very good point ! The Axe dosen't have a 2x12 w/V-30's. But I did audition all of the available 2x12 choices and NOTHING was even close. I did get pretty decent results with the 4x12 V-30 cab. And I can't remember but, I don't think I ended up using a mic sim ?

You could try the 4x12 V30s. They may get you closer than the 2x12s. Or a custom cab. Cabs are huge part of the sound. They can make an amp model sound extremely different.

R.D. said:
javajunkie said:

java ...,

That's what I'm using ! :D THANKS ....

Sounds like a hot Marshall. What about the Brown model? Has a little more gain than the JCM800 and EL34 power amp model.

R.D. said:
[quote="R.D.":1sniylm0]
javajunkie said:

java ...,

That's what I'm using ! :D THANKS ....[/quote:1sniylm0]

Realize that sim is being replaced in the next firmware update (maybe the new one will be closer ;) ). I think you can get it as a user cab somewhere though.

javajunkie said:
Realize that sim is being replaced in the next firmware update (maybe the new one will be closer ;) ). I think you can get it as a user cab somewhere though.

WOW ! You're right, I hadn't payed any attention to that yet .... THANKS.

From the 7.05 Ultra release notes: Removed “4x12 V30” IR and replaced with Marshall V30 IR.

BTW - isn't that the IR that's not really even an IR ? It was someone's artistic intrepretation of an IR, or some such thing ?

Anyway, hopefully the replacement will still be cool or if not, like you said I'm sure I can find a user IR of a 4x12 w/V-30's somewhere !

R.D. said:
javajunkie said:

WOW ! You're right, I hadn't payed any attention to that yet .... THANKS.

From the 7.05 Ultra release notes: Removed “4x12 V30” IR and replaced with Marshall V30 IR.

BTW - isn't that the IR that's not really even an IR ? It was someone's artistic intrepretation of an IR, or some such thing ?

Anyway, hopefully the replacement will still be cool or if not, like you said I'm sure I can find a user IR of a 4x12 w/V-30's somewhere !

Yes, that is the one.

Cool...I always thought that the V30 IR sounded way too scooped compared to my real V30 cab. Hope the new one sounds better.

jarrett said:
I cranked up my new Ultra today and saw this post. I figured it would be fun to test out the Ultra and to see how quickly I could dial up a sound like the PT-100 clip and record it direct to computer.

I used the Fryette D60L amp (boost on). Here's what popped out:

The Original Clip:
http://www.plaidfaction.com/mp3s/Myclips/PT100.mp3

My Second pass (4x12 V30 withR121 Cond mic):
http://www.plaidfaction.com/mp3s/Myclip ... -100-2.mp3

Thoughts?

The first clip sounds like an amp - the second like a AxeFx ;-)

Armin said:
jarrett said:
I cranked up my new Ultra today and saw this post. I figured it would be fun to test out the Ultra and to see how quickly I could dial up a sound like the PT-100 clip and record it direct to computer.

I used the Fryette D60L amp (boost on). Here's what popped out:

The Original Clip:
http://www.plaidfaction.com/mp3s/Myclips/PT100.mp3

My Second pass (4x12 V30 withR121 Cond mic):
http://www.plaidfaction.com/mp3s/Myclip ... -100-2.mp3

Thoughts?

The first clip sounds like an amp - the second like a AxeFx ;-)
Now THAT.... was funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom