DAW Control Surface

Diego

Fractal Fanatic
My M-Audio ProjectMix I/O started to work randomly in the last weeks and I'd like to know what you use to control your DAW before starting to look for a new DAW control surface.
I mostly use Reaper in my home studio (I don't like PT but I have to live with when I'm in pro studios.....) so any pro or cons is welcome.

I use Reaper as well along with PreSonus's Faderport. Works like a charm. Initially there were conflicts but thanks to a Reaper Forum member with the right knowledge, created a couple command files that resolved the conflicts. The Faderport is a nice, robust control surface.

Updated Faderport Support (Faderport XT - Alpha) - Cockos Confederated Forums

I use Tranzport. It's wireless, simple and works really well..
it's only for the transport side of the DAW though [play, record, track arm, undo etc]

my oldest though needs much more control than me [plus a keyboard] and uses a Novation Impulse which is absolutely superb

I use the Digi 003 Factory but its pretty much ProTools only. I is supposed to be usable generically but I would doubt it.

Ipad is an awesome wireless controller. There are a bunch of different apps that do control. V-Control Pro is pricey, but it has a thing called V Window which allows you to have a virtual window which can show almost anything on the external app, so you can control soft synths, plugins and things that apps which only do Mackie emulation can't do.

Another vote for the Mackie MCU here. Works on all platforms, is a standard in many pro studios and is very reliable. I use it at home with Cubase and Logic and we run PT with it in the studio.

Thanks guys, a lot of options. I prefer more than a fader (motorized) so I will look for this kind of solution.

Alesis Mastercontrol (if you can get one second hand). I like mine.

They released a patch for OSX Lion but I don't know if they're supported any more. (It's got average in-built mic preamps and other bits I don't really use)

I saw a very nice controller last week...
I went to the music acadamy where my oldest is studying..
he was mixing down a project on an SSL Duality

oooh I so want one....

On the SSL side my choice for home studio would be the Nucleus: it's fantastic but a lot pricey (4000€)....

Back
Top Bottom