Das Metall - more accurate to VH4 than VH4 emulation?!?!?!

Hi Guys, I own a Deizel VH4 and I've lined them up side by side using a a/b box and when I turned back and listened I was hard pushed to tell one from the other.

Jzacharia,

I'd like to hear that tone in a mix, for sure.

Loq,

I actually had a chance to try your preset before you took it down. I was just running around with my wife and puppy for the day yesterday. To me, the tone is balanced and the presence was actually to a point where I really liked it. The gain, however, was just much too much. If I decreased the level to around noon, or took the drive out altogether, it began to get to a point where I could manage the preset a little better. But like I said - Painkillers are pretty hot pickups - I'm pretty sure that the only higher output pickup BKP makes is the Warpig, but I could be wrong.

For the sound I am after, I have concluded that drives just won't play a part as a boost. If I feel like the amp could be tighter, I will do things like engage the bass cut (although I'm finding less and less that I like to do that as it seems to dramatically alter the tone more often than not), increase the input trim while simultaneously lowering the bass a bit, and sometimes I may lower the power tube bias a smidge, but not usually. Then again, I am definitely not going for a tight-as-a-humming-birds-butthole, djent tone or anything.

Musicman,

Would you be able to do a recording of both? I would absolutely freak to be able to hear them side by side. Or if you could post up a clip of your VH4 (pretty pretty please), I'd just freak out and tone match that puppy.

I still have the head, but no longer own the cab, so I'm not able to sadly, the head is up for sale as a result of the a/b test. If I can get a lend of a cab before the head goes I will. But that is very doubtful

ahh... yeah...
hmm.. Clarky's been in the studio workin' on new choonz for da band...

I will try to sort a lil' clip when I get a mo..

I have now swapped out the Herbert ch3 in my main presets for DasM
liking it a lot so far...
seems to have some extra "stuff"

I was playing around with Dizzy Ch4 again. I noticed most of the dynamic range of the the presence control is at after 6 or 7. Basically not much action until then. But the 7.0-10.0 region brings the amp to life.

Maybe this is a case of Cliff modelling an amp with a presence pot with a different taper than you guys have experienced with the real amps?

In the meantime, I can't get enough of Herby Ch2+ with the bright on since V11.0. Thrash city!

Sned,

Agreed. But nonetheless...

I dare you... NO! Triple dog dare you to change over to the Das Metall for your Herby style patch. As I was reading Clarky's post I had just been dialing in a Herbert and thinking "That sounds pretty damn solid"... then I switched over to Das Metall and basically wondered what the hell I'd been doing with my last 10 minutes. Le sigh...

Sned,

Agreed. But nonetheless...

I dare you... NO! Triple dog dare you to change over to the Das Metall for your Herby style patch. As I was reading Clarky's post I had just been dialing in a Herbert and thinking "That sounds pretty damn solid"... then I switched over to Das Metall and basically wondered what the hell I'd been doing with my last 10 minutes. Le sigh...

Ya know, I think you're on to something... damn, I lost the dare! :eek:
I'm a Das Metall convert now :encouragement:

So here's a question... Since Das Metal got replaced by Dizzy as the "official" model, has it changed in the subsequent firmwares?

Whoa man! Is that the Das Metal? Because on your soundcloud page it's labeled as the VH4 - either way - epic tone that gives me a sinking feeling in meh belly! If that's the Dizzy, I beg whole heartedly that you at least let us see a snapshot of the amp settings because it's got serious mojo.

@Rook - It has definitely benefited from the FW 10-11 changes, that's for sure. The model kind of fell of the map for me around FW 8 as I was playing mostly with the FAS Moderns - incidentally I was also just starting to really "get" how to dial in high gain tones with the Axe - although who knows if I really "get" it even yet. I know dudes like Funeral have always used the Das Metall as a go to, so he'd be able to better explain the changes. In the early days I "liked" Das Metall, but now I want to chase the amp around a fine dining room with a cocktail in my hand wearing a cowboy hat.

Snedecor - glad you found it to be the case. It really is a wonder how the amp has been able to slay the competition in most cases. I think Cliff just does an excellent job with his amp creations. I love 'em.

Not to totally derail the thread... but you know what other fractal models just kill it? The PVH 6160 Block and the PVH 6160 II. As in, time to change the pants good.

Whoa man! Is that the Das Metal? Because on your soundcloud page it's labeled as the VH4 - either way - epic tone that gives me a sinking feeling in meh belly! If that's the Dizzy, I beg whole heartedly that you at least let us see a snapshot of the amp settings because it's got serious mojo.

Sure, if you want the patch, I can share that too. Only thing is, its my Axe Fx Ultra :) I will probably get crucified for this but this thread was about Das Metal/VH4 tones so I posted it.

My II arrives on Sept 21st with my family visiting from US. Until then, I've taught myself how to get working tones out of the awesome unit that once was...still is and always will be!

Loq,

I actually had a chance to try your preset before you took it down. To me, the tone is balanced and the presence was actually to a point where I really liked it. The gain, however, was just much too much. If I decreased the level to around noon, or took the drive out altogether, it began to get to a point where I could manage the preset a little better.

Ahhh, interesting. Yeah, I'm sure your pickups were the factor there. I think the Tone Zone is my hottest pickup, which is only 375 on the Dimarzio scale. There is a certain kind of compression I'm going for that adding a boost seems to bring out. That tone I posted is perhaps my second favorite, it does seem quite capable on its own and in a mix....but I'm working on something even more refined....

On that note, I have certain fancies for the PVH6 and II, but the 6 has a presence that always irks me, and the II has a lot of 'chaunch', but lacks in the low mids. The VH4 seems really suited to the new direction I'm going, and as I've been away from playing for a few days, I haven't set any other amps in that environment (let alone tried the things I mentioned earlier in not using a boost)....but here's a visual taste of it. Drive volume is 7.2 , and one I haven't used till now....

Attachments

• VH4 TDRV 14.jpg
    VH4 TDRV 14.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 32
Well, you know... now that I listen to it I can TOTALLY TELL it's an ultra... :lol

I bet now you can hahaha!

Great tone is great tone man. Great job!

Thanks man. I will do a thread about why I will not get rid of my ultra even after having the II. I know a lot of those have probably been done before but...this will be mine! To me, Ultra will always be an amazing unit. It is perfectly usable and I don't see how it will become obsolete when it comes to great tone.

Cheers!

HOLY FILTER CHAIN BATMAN! I mean, what about the PEQ? Or are you running a series of shelves or something? Wild! Wild! Wild!!!

I've been thinking about using all the filters and eqs (graphic and parametric) in tandem in a pinpoint approach to *seriously* sculpt the treble. The above example has each filter at a certain frequency with 10 as the curve (as tight as possible).

Back
Top Bottom