Dang the Axe sounded good this weekend...

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
I shared this clip in another thread but thought it could use it's own space. Almost all the main guitar tones you hear are my Axe. I'm the beardo thrashing about by the drums. The Axe sounds fantastic. Starplayer TV, Axe direct to FOH. Amp is DC30, IR is a mix I did of a couple of Ownhammers. VX212 Alnico Gold and Bogner Oversized with V30's. First stage drive is SDD, Second stage is BB. Delays are DMM, verb is deep space with the modulation cranked up.

Let me know what you think...

Sounds great! is this the patch from your other post?
pretty much, i build everything off the same template then tweak the fx to fit the song....alway same amp and pretty much the same IR. I DID try something new with my IR this weekend, used the VX212 Alnico Gold i've been using but mixed a Bogner OS v30 at about -4 or -5...really liked the combo. I got the idea from Jamie at 3rd Power Amps.

I have so many things to say about this sound. Firstly, freakin incredible. I played/play on a worship team in a very modest and intimate setting. My worship team I played guitar on was much younger and less serious, so I felt I could better serve if I ran sound for them. That first song is incredible, so reverent. And the icing on the cake is this giant guitar sound jumping through the mix, literaly gave me goose bumps. A real pleasure to watch your team. Praise the Lord for the gift of music that moves the spirit through us.

My feelings too, every week! My current rig is Axe -> 1. FOH 2. Marshall rack power amp -> Marshall 1960ax. The combined sound is just mind blowing. Running plexi models for AC/DC vibes is more fun than I've ever had with any real amp. The plexis have that elusive "spit" on the note attack, I sometimes get hypnotized just by hitting big power chords.

I have so many things to say about this sound. Firstly, freakin incredible. I played/play on a worship team in a very modest and intimate setting. My worship team I played guitar on was much younger and less serious, so I felt I could better serve if I ran sound for them. That first song is incredible, so reverent. And the icing on the cake is this giant guitar sound jumping through the mix, literaly gave me goose bumps. A real pleasure to watch your team. Praise the Lord for the gift of music that moves the spirit through us.
thanks so much, glad you enjoyed it!

My feelings too, every week! My current rig is Axe -> 1. FOH 2. Marshall rack power amp -> Marshall 1960ax. The combined sound is just mind blowing. Running plexi models for AC/DC vibes is more fun than I've ever had with any real amp. The plexis have that elusive "spit" on the note attack, I sometimes get hypnotized just by hitting big power chords.
right?? now Cliff mentions 3.0 and it about to get even better!

Wow, amazing production and sounded great. I usually can't make it past one verse of a worship song, and I ended up listening to all 10 minutes of this one. Very nice.

Wow, amazing production and sounded great. I usually can't make it past one verse of a worship song, and I ended up listening to all 10 minutes of this one. Very nice.
i'll definitely take that as a compliment, so glad you enjoyed it!

Reactions: TFC
Good stuff, Jason! I need to get our WL to add "Here as in Heaven" to our set list. You guys did that right.
yeah man, that's such a great song....so is the last one we did "Resurrecting", both off the new Elevation album.

Resurrecting.....you can build and build and build, so much power when the music matches the content. And that song definetly does.
No doubt. Interesting when you can play a whole set of slower tempo songs and get. Ore energy than you ever would on uptempo rockers.

Love it all Jason! You've always had such awesome videos, very professional and incredible sound/playing!

How do you arrange so well with the other electric guitarist so that you guys don't clash? You can hear that he comes in now and then in the right places, not clashing with you. I've been trying to introduce a second electric to the P&W band I'm in but frankly none of them know how to use the gaps.

Love it all Jason! You've always had such awesome videos, very professional and incredible sound/playing!

How do you arrange so well with the other electric guitarist so that you guys don't clash? You can hear that he comes in now and then in the right places, not clashing with you. I've been trying to introduce a second electric to the P&W band I'm in but frankly none of them know how to use the gaps.
Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it.

As far as clashing, we actually usually have 3 electric players. We just talk through things and sort of have our roles figured out. we also have pretty distinct styles. One guy just plays straight rhythm and brings tons of energy. we have a few guys that rotate through the guitar two spot and they will do more middle of the neck rhythm stuff and and other color/ambient stuff and then i usually handle most of the main riff's/melodies/leads and will add inversions higher in the neck in rhythm. The guy that played guitar 2 this weekend is a great player and we really compliment one another. He's very creative, has great tone and has a pretty unique style. He listens to a lot of indie/post rock/ and current bands like 1975 and St. Lucia...so he always brings something creative/fresh. It's funny though, we have very different influences and styles but we also have a lot of overlap as to how we think. Pretty often we"ll both have the same type idea at a spot in the song and will just look across the stage and laugh about it. He says that I always play what he would play if he had two sets of hands....he hears it in his head and I start playing it. It's a fun synergy.

The key when adding a second or third is just having clearly defined roles. If he's going to play rhythm and free you up to carry the other stuff, be sure it's clear that he stays in his lane. It's all about the song in the end.

Thanks for the vids and explanation.

Just curious, do the other guitarists also run a similar, direct rig or do they have amps on stage? It might come down to what you are playing and how you're playing it, but your parts seem to stand out more or are at least more distinguishable.

they all use boutique amps (hw vox, matchless, morgan) and big pedalboards filled with the usual suspects (jhs, KOT, Strymon, midi controllers, etc).

i know they mix me to be more in front pretty often. i actually ask them to balance it out but i think it's easier for them to let me carry things. also, i'm the only lead guy who is there 99% of the time, the rest rotate, so they always know what they are getting from me, if that makes sense.

Ah, cool. Thanks for sharing.

It definitely all works well together, so keep doing what you're doing.
you're welcome...it's on ongoing conversation. i'm always pushing for more guitars in the mix and for more balance amongst them. our challenge is we are a portable church of 4k+ (yes, everything you saw gets set up and torn down every weekend) and it's hard to have consistency that way.

The key when adding a second or third is just having clearly defined roles. If he's going to play rhythm and free you up to carry the other stuff, be sure it's clear that he stays in his lane. It's all about the song in the end.

Yeah that's my biggest challenge, we have a mix of guys on the rota, some have very little experience and I have to work really hard with them because they just want to grab the main riffs even though their sound is not quite there yet, or sometimes skills. Totally agree it is about the song though, so I sometimes give them a bit more room to play with when live.

(yes, everything you saw gets set up and torn down every weekend)

This is incredible, are you guys ever going to settle into a permanent place of worship?

Back
Top Bottom