Damn writer's block...

harsh

Inspired
I just can't seem to get any ideas going, and it's bugging me so much! The more I try, the less ideas I seem to come up with. What do you guys do to get over writer's block?

I've been in a spell for 10+ years... work seems to really interfere with that part of my brain. Most creative I ever was, was when I was unemployed living with my fiancé and her parents, could focus. I think it's all focus.

Booze, drugs and death.

In that order or can they be mixed up a bit..?
unsure.gif

Go listen to something new and different. Try Beethoven's Ninth, Saint-Saen Piano Concertos, Gregorian chants, whale songs, yule log videos, Christian death metal.. get your mind going in a different direction and something will break loose.

I never have inspiration issues as far as lyrics writing goes and now that I've been playing well over 10 years, on and off, I can pull riffs out of my hat all day. I find that jamming along to existing music gives me ideas for new riffs, but if your problem lies in writing lyrics, try these 2 ideas.....

The 1,2,3,4 Process.

1 Think of a scenario and write a few sentences about what happened. (Love, breakup, betrayal, booze, death etc)

2. Quote things that were said or specific things that were done. (I cheated, gf broke up with me, i hit the bottle, broke the law etc)

3. Write a list of external factors (the weather, smells, sounds etc)

4. Poetic language ("I felt like a painter and I'm drawing a blank... 'I'm at a cross roads etc")

The second process is called a the Word Box.

Write as many words/phrases that you can think of that relate to a central word.

For example, take the word "Love", you could have words such as "heart", "break", "hurt", passion" etc.

A good example of this process is Elvis Costello's Indoor Fireworks

"Indoor Fireworks"

We play these parlour games
We play at make believe
When we get to the part where I say that I'm going to leave
Everybody loves a happy ending but we don't even try
We go straight past pretending
To the part where everybody loves to cry

Indoor fireworks
Can still burn your fingers
Indoor fireworks
We swore we were safe as houses
They're not so spectacular
They don't burn up in the sky
But they can dazzle or delight
Or bring a tear
When the smoke gets in your eyes

You were the spice of life
The gin in my vermouth
And though the sparks would fly
I thought our love was fireproof
Sometimes we'd fight in public darling
With very little cause
But different kinds of sparks would fly
When we got on our own behind closed doors

It's time to tell the truth
These things have to be faced
My fuse is burning out
And all that powder's gone to waste
Don't think for a moment dear that we'll ever be through
I'll build a bonfire of my dreams
And burn a broken effigy of me and you

The other things to consider are syllable count, poem structure (Limerick, free flow etc) and pulse (meter)

Look at great songs, like Bohemian Rhapsody and count the syllables in the verses. You'll find that the great ones are strict in making the syllable count the same throughout the song and will stick to tried and tested methods.

There are other things that make your lyrics more interesting, such as alliteration and assonance. Alliteration for example "Sixty six silly sausages" where consecutive words begin with the same letter. Assonance is a vowel rhyme and is flexible as it is not dependant on all of the last letters being the same ("hut" and "cut"). You could use "Hut and Gum", with the "uh" sound being the assonance.

I hope this helps as far as your lyrics writing goes. If you follow the above methods and still can't write, you haven't exhausted all of your preparation material.

As far as musical writing goes, I usually use 3 neighbouring chords and their relative minors as a foundation for the musical tonality and write riffs that resolve into chords that fit nicely with them.

Circle+Of+Fifths+by+Blagmusic.jpg

So lets take the chords C G and D, their relative minors Am, Em and Bm....

I am using chords that fit into a "wedge" of cheese (Trivial Pursuit). Groups of 3 chords that are a 5th apart. I could resolve any of them into a key change that could fit into another wedge, such as D,A and E, or even another one that is further apart.

Music is so subjective, I can't teach you everything that I know, I'd be here all day, but hopefully there is enough information here to help you out. I certainly hope so, this took ages to write :D

Last edited:
I have to write what I know and what's happened to me.

In your case, write a song about the frustration of writer's block.

I have to write what I know and what's happened to me.

In your case, write a song about the frustration of writer's block.

LOL, yeah, I did that myself once many years ago. Turned out to be a pretty cool tune that wasn't too obviously inspired by my writer's block.

Fabio's post was excellent. I'll have to read that one again and let it soak in after I've had some coffee. Very nice!

The last I wrote was for a band in Cananda. Didn't earn much from it, but they're up and coming, so time will tell. I always make sure that royalties are in place before I part with anything. Would you rather be a sell out and sell your music to a band/label and earn money or keep them to yourself, maintain principles and be poor at the end of it? If a label wanted my music and not me, i'd have no issues selling it.

Try alternate tunings.

Sometimes one can get into a rut where playing becomes mechanical. The fingers go to the same place over and over and nothing sounds new. If you tune differently, say in DADGAD, then things will sound differently even if your fingers go to the same place. These different sounds can open up doors to new progressions.

Try taking a couple of your favorite songs and write out the chords backwards. No, I'm not joking. You'll be surprised what you hear.

Do not do this with any country songs. You'll get your girl back, your wife back, your dog back, get out of prison, or get sober. OK. Now I am joking... sort of.

The last I wrote was for a band in Cananda. Didn't earn much from it, but they're up and coming, so time will tell. I always make sure that royalties are in place before I part with anything. Would you rather be a sell out and sell your music to a band/label and earn money or keep them to yourself, maintain principles and be poor at the end of it? If a label wanted my music and not me, i'd have no issues selling it.

Cool! In all my years of songwriting It's never really set in for me that it's actually possible to write a song and SELL it. I would totally do that. If my stuff was worth anything to anyone, and if I had any idea how to go about getting started in that business.

I've written dozens of songs, home-recorded a few with bandmates or just myself over the years. Always just for fun. The only remotely commercial thing was my old band's self-produced CD that we sold small numbers of at our (mostly-cover) gigs.

Any business tips?

Thx for the lyrics tips.. that is ALWAYS my primary hangup.

Some good tips here, especially Fabio - thanks for taking the time to write out that long answer :)

I'm a metal guitarist, so my writing is limited to writing good riffs. I was thinking - I recently went though a phase where I wrote 3 complex songs for my band, including drums and bass. Ideas were just rolling off my fingers with ease. Now, nothing! Maybe I should take a break from trying to write, and just listen to alternate stuff. Who knows, maybe something would inspire fresh ideas...

The only advice I can give to ward off writers block may sound very simplistic, but it's really not. Learn to trust your instincts. Don't second guess them. That's when your (my) inspiration packs up for the day. Write it quickly, while you're still inspired. You can ALWAYS change it later. But get it down. Doing this I rarely go back and change anything. But sometimes I do. I need a bridge? There's a bridge. Take it and write it down. The thing not to do? Say, "Uh, no. That sucks. I can come up with something better than that." Then it just sits there like a lump of crap.

Just like playing guitar, or for me, playing jazz. It's all about improv, going with the flow and not second guessing or invalidating yourself. Trust that you have good musical taste.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom