Damn I love this band…Kings X

Gregmang

Fractal Fanatic
One of my all time favorite bands since the late 80’s. This is what happens when they play this song live and I’ve seen the same thing everytime I’ve seen them (about 5 times).

These guys are still out there doing this and have never gotten famous, rich or well known. But they’ve had a huge following for decades.

This song (Goldilox) is 35 years old. Doug - the bass player - has the most amazing bass sound I’ve ever heard in my life. This was from 2022 and Doug is 72.

Huge King's X fan - seen them a lot over the years and it's always a magical experience. The first time experiencing "Goldilox" in person with the crowd singing the whole thing and the band stepping back and supporting them is so incredible and moving.

I wouldn't say they're under-rated - they're highly rated by most that know them, but their popularity is far dis-proportionate to their impact.

Huge King's X fan - seen them a lot over the years and it's always a magical experience. The first time experiencing "Goldilox" in person with the crowd singing the whole thing and the band stepping back and supporting them is so incredible and moving.

I wouldn't say they're under-rated - they're highly rated by most that know them, but their popularity is far dis-proportionate to their impact.
Agreed - there's something magical when the crowd sings the song the whole way thru like in the vid.

It's somehow uniquely moving.

When I say underrated I don't mean that as an insult in any way shape or form, they are very much a musician's band and have a cult status.
When they play around me the shows will sell out that's a given.

They to me are one of the best trio's ever.

Quality isn't great but there set Woodstock 94 set is killer, I remember watching it on pay per view

My favorite band seemingly forever until I've more recently gotten into some very different stuff. I'm in Texas and have probably seen these guys close to 20 times, first time being an acoustic set back with Faith, Hope, Love just came out. The sing along version of this song started off just singing the quiet break down portion of the song and over the years has grown until it was the whole thing. Watching it on video doesn't do justice to being in the middle of it, just magical. Not sure if they still do it today, but they used to break down Over My Head into a sing along as well.

Count me among the King’s X fans as well. I hope to see them live one day but I live in the Northeast US and they don’t make it out here very often.

Love 'em!
I'm fortunate to have seen the Faith, Hope, and Love (x 3) and Dogman tours here in Dallas TX with them solo and then opening seperately for AC/DC, Motley Crue, and Living Colour. They are one of those bands that should have been huge.

Last edited:
No doubt a great and underrated band! I have seen them a few times over the years. Last was 2018 not a bad show lite on attendance but that made it even better as the few of us that were their felt like it was a show put on just for the 80 or so people that were there.

Jerry Gaskill is a local guy here, he's been known to drop in at local hard rock shows just to hang out and bullshit with people. Very cool.

King's X moment for me...when I first started playing guitar as a kid in the early 90s, and true 'garage bands' were still a thing, my buddy's brother had a band that used to jam King's X in their garage. We'd ride our bikes around town looking for garage rock (when we weren't doing it ourselves) and hearing those guys knock out Dogman and Pillow was completely badass for 12-year-old me.

Ugh man I want to be able to get this tone in my fm9 soooo bad
The majority of his tone from that era was not just the Lab it was mainly the preamp EQ and the microphonic pickups in the Fender Elite. Mix that with a chorus with a ton of early reflections and you get really close using an amp with a mild gain structure. I had a pretty good preset when I had the AX8 but it didn't translate to the FM. I still need to revisit this and get a good sounding representation.

Big King's X fan here, too!

I first heard of them through Vernon Reid in Guitar World interviews, back in the day. My little town didn't have a record store, and the one in a city nearby didn't have any of their stuff, but I was able to find Out Of The Silent Planet on cassette while on a school trip and loved it. Lifelong fan ever since. :)

Been able to see them live twice, up here in Canada, both in very small clubs and it was amazing! First time was the Dogman tour, such a great show.

Back
Top Bottom