D-Tuna....yay or nah?

Triaxis75

Inspired
I got one coming in the mail. The existing FR says its great for keeping tune, I've unfortunately found different. Will D-Tuna exasperate the issue?

Unless you don't know, the FR can NOT be floating to use a D-Tuna. I've had good luck with DTuna on my Wolfgang and other guitars. The wolfgang is decked from the factory. My others, I hot glued a piece of wood for the Weight to press against.

I have D-Tuna’s on 3 of my guitars and once string changes happen they will be going on 2 more. When they are set up right they do what they do very well. I like them, but yes it needs to be on a dive only Floyd.

I did try that other one that Tone Vise makes and didn’t like it, to me it felt like I needed to tweak it each time I used it.

I have the D-Tuna on my EVH Wolfgang but I think that I never set it up right... I have to take some time to look at it...

I did try that other one that Tone Vise makes and didn’t like it, to me it felt like I needed to tweak it each time I used it.
Agreed.
I thought it sucked, regardless of how many videos I watched on how to use it/setup or how many times I reinstalled it.
It required constant adjustment, and it was difficult to maneuver.

Last edited:
No issues with the D-Tuna on my Peavey, ever. I've added one to one of my EVH's as well.
The above posts are also correct in that the Floyd CANNOT be floating.
Once you set it up properly, it should be all good. (Fine tuning adjustment screw needs to be all the way backed out, tune to D first, etc).
I feel a stable neck is key also.

Last edited:
Ignorant question.
Does it require a Floyd or other trem at all?
I'm kind of a hard tail guy these days.
I thought it was designed to work with FR's exclusively. Not sure about other floating trems.

On my original question, I meant that for some reason my current FR is having issues with tuning. Granted, I play the daylights out of it but I'm having to loosen the nut about once a week or two to get things straightened out tuning wise. The trem angle is set correctly, I had to raise the trem a small amount due to fret buzz when I received it (Charvel DK22). I'm just not sure what would be causing it and wondered if adding a D-Tuna would introduce even more problems.

I thought it was designed to work with FR's exclusively. Not sure about other floating trems.

On my original question, I meant that for some reason my current FR is having issues with tuning. Granted, I play the daylights out of it but I'm having to loosen the nut about once a week or two to get things straightened out tuning wise. The trem angle is set correctly, I had to raise the trem a small amount due to fret buzz when I received it (Charvel DK22). I'm just not sure what would be causing it and wondered if adding a D-Tuna would introduce even more problems.
Could be humidity, the locking nut, knife edges, strings not stretched out enough. There are a lot of variables that it could be, my neck’s will move some if I’m not on top of the humidity levels in the music room and then I have to unlock and retune slightly. But most of the time I have zero issues. Have you had anyone check it out?

Could be humidity, the locking nut, knife edges, strings not stretched out enough. There are a lot of variables that it could be, my neck’s will move some if I’m not on top of the humidity levels in the music room and then I have to unlock and retune slightly. But most of the time I have zero issues. Have you had anyone check it out?
Humidity-wise I live in Arizona where its pretty constant. Half of a semitone always happens. I've looked at the post/knife edges...looks decent. granted theres a black powder coat on it. In comparison to my 777, its night and day. I would have to leave that thing out in the rain for a week or so for it to be that out of tune. I did bust down and send it to someone who actually gets paid to do adjustments. I guess we'll see what happens.

(Fine tuning adjustment screw needs to be all the way backed out, tune to D first, etc).
I feel a stable neck is key also.
i dont believe that's correct. i believe youre supposed to unscrew all the way and then make 2 full turns. then, in drop d, tune all strings. then push the dtuna back in and tune the E string again, this time using the micro allen wrench to adjust tuning.

i dont believe that's correct. i believe youre supposed to unscrew all the way and then make 2 full turns. then, in drop d, tune all strings. then push the dtuna back in and tune the E string again, this time using the micro allen wrench to adjust tuning.
My thumbscrew is backed out as far as it can go....
Whatever works I guess.

For those that care for the actual instructions:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/d-tuna-d-mystified-how-to-set-up-an-evh-d-tuna/

http://www.dtuna.com/setup.php

Last edited:
The fine tuner should just be touching the screw, all of the tuning should be done at the tuner and the fine tuner shouldn't be touched.when in e its tuned with the screw on the side of the d-tuna

I have one on my EBMM Axis. Trem is dive only. It's a little finicky at first to get right but once you do it works great. Very handy for a double locking trem guitar.

Technically, you’re correct but turning the fine tuner in 1-2 turns allows you to have some tuning adjustment after tightening the nut.
And that is where the problem occurs and to me was the issue with the tone vise, when you put the fine tuner in play your adding something else that can move and change the tuning then you end up chasing your tail. But everyone works stuff different and if that works for you then that’s cool.

The issue I see with it mostly is that the Tuna doesn’t slide very well underneath the micro tuner, because the tuner has kind of a rough end. The end of the micro tuner needs to be rounded off to prevent friction. After a while I would see a nice gouge mark in the top of the D tuna cylinder from where it drags the corner. I came up with a technique here I push the assembly down before pulling the cylinder to go to drop-Db.

Really not something to be doing mid-song with the volume up. Honestly I think it’s just easier to have a second guitar in a live situation than to wrestle with the D Tuna in front of all your biggest fan.
iu

Back
Top Bottom