Custom Panel from Best-tronics

youngmic

Inspired
Just took delivery of a new custom patch panel from Best-Tronics / Guitar-Cable.com (Guitar Cable). Very good quality in every aspect. Build quality is top notch. The panel itself has a shelf to secure the cables and protect the solder connections. Labeling is great. All in all am very pleased. Hooked it up tonight and everything works great.

Thought I'd share some pics.

No pic from the back of the rack yet as I have yet to tie the cables down. Cable length was the hardest part - I ended up with a little too much. But that's better than not enough!

Attachments

• IMG_4823.jpg
    IMG_4823.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_4825.jpg
    IMG_4825.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4827.jpg
    IMG_4827.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4830.jpg
    IMG_4830.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4831.jpg
    IMG_4831.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_4832.jpg
    IMG_4832.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_4840.jpg
    IMG_4840.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_4824.jpg
    IMG_4824.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Did they label each cable end that would be inside the rack? (like the "power" label in one photo?)

The labels on the faceplate: What are they and how are they mounted? Brother P-Touch labels? (I ask, because in heat those labels come right off of my rack gear)

Looks very nice and clean but way heaving the panel on the front and not in the back and leave the front clean from wires ?
I had a patch panel on every rack I used to build and I had minibar sized racks in my past (well that was the case until Mr. AXE has arrived) and I always kept everything in the back so the front is clean and easy to approach.

Looks very nice and clean but way heaving the panel on the front and not in the back and leave the front clean from wires ?
I had a patch panel on every rack I used to build and I had minibar sized racks in my past (well that was the case until Mr. AXE has arrived) and I always kept everything in the back so the front is clean and easy to approach.

The whole point of the panel for me was so I wouldn't have to pop the rear lid to set up. With the powercon connectors in front, all I have to do is set the rack on the floor, pop the front lid, plug and play. I have a Furman mounted in back. Of course, if I ever want to go a different route, it's easy enough to move to the back as well. The case is deep enough.

Did they label each cable end that would be inside the rack? (like the "power" label in one photo?)

The labels on the faceplate: What are they and how are they mounted? Brother P-Touch labels? (I ask, because in heat those labels come right off of my rack gear)

Yes. All the cables are labeled in the same fashion as the "power in" cable. Don't know what they used for the front labels. I like the solution precisely because it's not permanent. I may want to change things around (and probably will as time goes on and have already thought of a couple of scenarios). Not sure when the rack would get hot enough to effect the labels anyway. I haven't played an outdoor gig in years.

Here's a shot of the back for those who are interested. Thought I could add it to the original post but evidently not (unless I'm missing something).

I leave the Furman on.

The SM26B line mixer lets me take a line level monitor send from the house and mix it with Out 2 of the Axe Fx into my monitor(s). Out 1 goes to the house. Works out very well.

Attachments

• IMG_4846.jpg
    IMG_4846.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Very nice! Are those Neutrik combination XLR/1/4" jacks on the front? If so, how are they wired up?

Very nice! Are those Neutrik combination XLR/1/4" jacks on the front? If so, how are they wired up?

Yes. All panel connectors (except for MIDI - don't know who makes those) are Neutrik. Not sure what you mean on the wiring question. Connectors on cable end are G&H (1/4" TRS connectors). The combo connectors will take either an unbalanced or balanced 1/4" phono plug or a male xlr. All four are connected to the SM26B (balanced 1/4"). Two are for monitor sends from the board. Two are auxiliary channels in case I want to run something else into the monitors. I could just as easily use one or more for the rear inputs or pedal jack by just switching the cables.

Other cable end connectors (with the exception of USB, which appears to be generic, and AC power connectors, which are by Hubble) are Neutrik.

With the exception of the cables connecting Out 2 L & R to the SM26B, all audio cable is Best-Tronics cable. I also ordered a guitar cable to try it out. Seems to be very high quality and is very easy to handle (e.g. very flexible and easily coiled/uncoiled). Best-Tronics claims performance is equal to or better than Mogami.

Last edited:
What's the ballpark price for this?

Excellent! What's the price range on these panels though? Love the shelf idea!

I found their pricing to be reasonable. Jim is the guy I worked with over there. I'd suggest contacting him. Here's his contact info:

Jim Croke
Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.
708-802-9677
Best-Tronics Manufacturing Cables Assemblies & Contract Manufacturing
Guitar Cable MI & Professional Audio Cables
jim@best-tronics.com

Back
Top Bottom