Custom MIDI controller?

burningyen

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a Standard as a step up from my DigiTech RP355. One of the issues that's holding me back is that my whole approach to patches is based on the RP355's super-simple interface: 3 footswitches (Patch Up, Patch Down, Boost), an expression pedal and an 8-digit patch name and number display. I do a lot of the lead singing in my band and control vocal FX from my pedalboard and like how this control layout keeps tapdancing to a minimum. So I'd like to use something like that with an AxeFX. My question is, who can build such a controller and about how much could I expect to pay? The expression pedal is the least important feature as long as there's a port to plug one in. One idea I had was to use a gutted Line 6 FBV Express as a chassis, since I've seen dead ones sell for $10 on eBay. I'm just not sure if they have enough room inside. Being able to use the AxeFX tuner would be a nice bonus, but not critical since I have a Peterson I like anyway. I'd appreciate any advice you can share.

I usually defend the philosophy that sometimes you don't think you need something until you actually got it.
When I bought the AXE-2 and didn't want to pay the 750 for the MFC, I was thinking that I'd never need more than patch up, patch down and probably the tuner. Boy was I wrong!
As soon as I had a full fledged midi controller under my feet, I came to realize how much more possibilities it unlocks.

If you are low on budget, I recommend using the FCB1010. It's cheap, has a nice format and two expression pedals. Trust me, you will end up using more than just patch up and down as soon as you got it.

(One simple case: you have a preset for verse and one for chorus. After the first chorus, there is a bridge so you have a preset for this aswell. Now to go back to verse, you'd need to tap down twice or save the verse preset multiple times. While this is possible, its not practical. You will learn to love the direct access to presets.)

Last edited:
I appreciate the thought, but with all of the things I have going on (I forgot to mention I also use a Roland Strat-controlled synth on some tunes), I really believe the patch control method I'm using is the best way for me to go. I'm very used to the double-tapping issue you mention and don't find it to be a problem at all. Not to mention that my pedalboard can't handle anything much bigger than the RP355.

I have to agree that going with an FCB1010 is a good idea. You can set it up for patch-up, patch-down and boost, and just use those three. I think you'd have a hard time building anything custom for less money, and you'd have everything you need in one unit (no expression pedal or anything else to plug in—just the one device).

If you can live without preset name display, here's a piecemeal approach:

Tech 21 Midi Mouse
MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller
MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller
any expression pedal
any latching footswitch

I'm not sure if the MIDI Solutions boxes can be powered by the Midi Mouse midi output. Best to drop MIDI Solutions an email, ask if the boxes in series can be powered by one 'source'. And ask if they do a single box that does 1 expression pedal + 1 footswitch.

Thanks for the suggestions. I considered the Midi Mouse and the Midi Xchange, but both require 2 toe taps to change patches. The pricing for the Midi Solutions stuff is pretty surprising. I now have proposals to build what I'm looking for, and for significantly less than the piecemeal approach. Just waiting to hear back from one potential candidate.

I started off with the FCB1010 and when it got to the point where I needed to do more, I added the Gordius Little Giant Module & MOTU MTP AV (8 In / 8 Out).

The Gordius makes it possible to change any combination on the FCB1010 with 1 toe tap and the MOTU routes the midi signal because some of the stuff doesn't have MIDI THRU.

Back
Top Bottom