Custom Cab for Invective

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
So I ordered a Peavey Invective to pair with my FX8. Actually it'll run stereo with my Mesa TC-50. But there was a problem. I use the TC-50 with a vertical 2x12 and love it that way. I was going to put the Invective on my horizontal 2x12 but decided I wouldn't like the look of the Mesa and Peavey rigs being such different heights. I then considered the Invective cab. At 21" tall, 30" wide, and 16.5" deep, that cab is would have the same issue. It's also quite a bit bigger than the Mesa in terms of volume (air space). So what's the solution? A custom cab of course. So basically the same height and depth of the Mesa Vert but a bit wider. This cab will, like Peavey's version, be finger jointed pine and have a V30 and a Creamback G12H-75. Should be interesting. Hope it sounds as good as it's going to look!

Here's a design pic (I'm not building this myself).

IMG_1983.JPG

Nice, like a massively oversized 2x12. What kind of sound do you get out of a cab like that? Does it basically sound like a 4x12 because of the size, or still more like a 2x12?

Have you decided which speaker will go where?

Going for some sort of stained finish on the wood? Or covering it with tolex? Looks good!

It'll be covered in Black Taurus and will look like a Mesa Recto Vertical 2x12 but wider.

Nice, like a massively oversized 2x12. What kind of sound do you get out of a cab like that? Does it basically sound like a 4x12 because of the size, or still more like a 2x12?

Have you decided which speaker will go where?

I'm hoping it sounds similar to the Peavey stock 2x12 but in a vertical configuration. The Peavey stock Invective 2x12 is pretty damn big. Interesting. I'm not sure which speaker will go on top yet. Good question.

It's missing two speakers. ;)

So far! I have the Creamback and the V30 (both UK versions just in case) sitting here waiting for the cab to be finished. :)

So you're gonna shoot a couple IR's of it when it comes for the rest of us right??? :D

Lol. I would If I knew how and had the equipment! But if any of our Fractalites have the ability here in AZ we can get it done. :)

I also have to think about breaking in the speakers. I have them in hand...hmmm...I'm sure I have a way to do that...

I setup some stuff to break in the speakers but there's a strange buzzing coming from the Vintage 30. Listen to this if you can (not sure if the Dropbox link will work):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1mc9fphvpfo738/Vintage 30 Buzz.m4a?dl=0

I am using an app on my iPad to generate a 60Hz tone into the aux in on a Peavey Vypyr 60. I wired the Creamback and the Vintage 30 in series (8 ohms each, so theoretically 16 ohms...multimeter tells me it's 14 though) and connected the stock speaker leads to the new speakers. The stock speaker in the Vypyr is 16ohms (measured at 12.6).

Grounding problem maybe?

The impedance of the speakers I think is measured at 1khz (or something) as the impedance is not the same across all frequencies (big resonant spike in the low end then sloping up toward the high frequencies) so when you measure it with DC current it will read different than its rated.

Grounding problem maybe?

The impedance of the speakers I think is measured at 1khz (or something) as the impedance is not the same across all frequencies (big resonant spike in the low end then sloping up toward the high frequencies) so when you measure it with DC current it will read different than its rated.

Ah true. Wasn't even thinking about resistance vs. frequency. Not sure about the grounding question. What would I check?

Regardless, I sent an email to Mesa to see if I could exchange it for a new one. Still curious what that sound is though.

Back
Top Bottom