CS per Scene

Control Switches are like Scene controllers. Scene controllers can be used by modifiers to set any value from 0% to 100% depending on which scene is selected. Control switches just have an OFF or ON value.

e.g. you want the Drive at two different values, a and b, in two different scenes. Instead of wasting two channels of the AMP block, you assign the Drive to the Source Modifier "Scene Controller 1". Then you go to the Controllers tab and set the values a & b of the scenes 1 & 2

A more advanced use: you have synth blocks playing background chords at different scenes, and you want the volume to fade in when each scene is selected. Repeat the process above for a volume block, and adjust the "Attack" parameter of the modifier to the desired curve

e.g. you want the Drive at two different values, a and b, in two different scenes. Instead of wasting two channels of the AMP block, you assign the Drive to the Source Modifier "Scene Controller 1". Then you go to the Controllers tab and set the values a & b of the scenes 1 & 2

A more advanced use: you have synth blocks playing background chords at different scenes, and you want the volume to fade in when each scene is selected. Repeat the process above for a volume block, and adjust the "Attack" parameter of the modifier to the desired curve
He's asking about Control Switches not Scene Controllers... ;)

OP - maybe check the AX-8 manual. I believe that is where they originated.

But we can't use them until we have the FCs... :(

OP - maybe check the AX-8 manual. I believe that is where they originated.

But we can't use them until we have the FCs... :(
Not completely true... They can still be used to group some control actions together and turn them on and off via scenes. Each with programmable start and end settings.

Not completely true... They can still be used to group some control actions together and turn them on and off via scenes. Each with programmable start and end settings.
But if you've already got to use scenes would you not just use scenes for that?

I'd be interested to know how you can use a control switch with no switch, though... :)

But if you've already got to use scenes would you not just use scenes for that?

I'd be interested to know how you can use a control switch with no switch, though... :)
Assign a CS to something like Boost in the Amp block. S1 off, S2 on. or Input Gain in Delay Block, S1 10% (Min) S2 50% (Max). no need to change Channels.

Assign a CS to something like Boost in the Amp block. S1 off, S2 on. or Input Gain in Delay Block, S1 10% (Min) S2 50% (Max). no need to change Channels.
How do you engage the CS with no actual switch? I'm missing something...

How do you engage the CS with no actual switch? I'm missing something...

CS is just another type of controller in the Axe-FX, same as Scene Controllers, LFOs, etc. I presume it's called a switch because it only has OFF and ON states.

Last edited:
CS is just another type of controller in the Axe-FX, same as Scene Controllers, LFOs, etc. I presume it's called a switch because it only has OF and ON states.
I assumed it was because it was intended to be assigned to a switch. Otherwise it seems like a limited scene controller.

Personally I'm looking forward to being able to trigger them with a switch since that could replace a number of things I'm using scenes for. Then I can use those scenes for even more variability with a single button press.

I assumed it was because it was intended to be assigned to a switch. Otherwise it seems like a limited scene controller.

Personally I'm looking forward to being able to trigger them with a switch since that could replace a number of things I'm using scenes for. Then I can use those scenes for even more variability with a single button press.
Even with that, you will still set those CS to on or off per Scene.

So I can't assign a button to a CS so that I can enable or disable that CS?

Maybe I just don't understand...
You can. But when you change Scenes it uses that Initial State too - what we’ve been calling On and Off. So it’s all of what’s been described.

Seems I still haven't got why we need these or why they make a difference.

When I want an effect on or off in certain scenes I change it's state in the grid in each scene and save the preset, done.

When I want it to change it's state I send a midi cc to toggle it's state, done.

Ok, I don't know yet if the new FC's will read out an effects state and display it, but that could get implemented.

Is it to assign the same IA switch to different effects in different scenes?
But will it always reset to a scenes default state, when you come back to a scene, where you toggled the IA before (without leaving the preset) or will it remember earlier changes?

Seems I still haven't got why we need these or why they make a difference.

When I want an effect on or off in certain scenes I change it's state in the grid in each scene and save the preset, done.

When I want it to change it's state I send a midi cc to toggle it's state, done.

Ok, I don't know yet if the new FC's will read out an effects state and display it, but that could get implemented.

Is it to assign the same IA switch to different effects in different scenes?
But will it always reset to a scenes default state, when you come back to a scene, where you toggled the IA before (without leaving the preset) or will it remember earlier changes?
It’s just another controller option. Scenes on their own change block channels or turn them on.

These Control switches can change individual parameters within blocks similar to Scene Controllers. But the added benefit is that (with the right midi controller) you can also use a button on the controller to engage the CS and change those things.

On the AX8, I use a CS assigned to Control in the Wah Block. Now I have a button for my Wah effect that rocks the Wah forward at a certain rate designated by the damping speed. Now I don’t need a 2nd expression pedal just for Wah (I use 1 for volume always). I also use auto-engage and it works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom