Crushingly heavy 5150 tone - Whitechapel's "Darkest Day of Man"

Thats funny, I was going to say that maybe its the bus saturation that was causing the guitars to have that extra layer of fizz to them that that Fabio wasn't liking. What are you using on the 2bus? This sounds monstrous otherwise, nice job on reigning in the lowend. :) Fucking brutal! The 5153 is chewy as hell!

Hey Eric. I agree, I think its the saturation that's gone a bit over the top. My signal chain on the 2bus is an SSL compressor (1-2 db gain reduction) -> saturation plugin -> Multi Band Compressor -> Limiter. I do have an EQ at the top of the chain, but it was bypassed coz I was happy with the EQ balance.

Thanks for the patch. One of the best tones I've heard from the Axe. I would have never thought to have air that high...but it works.

I do believe it's the air settings that are giving the cabs that massive "in the room, moving air" kinda feel. I reached these settings after plenty of experimentation. I haven't tried using this patch live with my band yet, but definitely works well for recording. Let me know how you guys get on with this patch.

I do believe it's the air settings that are giving the cabs that massive "in the room, moving air" kinda feel. I reached these settings after plenty of experimentation. I haven't tried using this patch live with my band yet, but definitely works well for recording. Let me know how you guys get on with this patch.
+1
I use 25-30% air on cab block between 6khz and 7khz on my newest presets

Very good tone, i like it, the mix is so good too, great job :encouragement:
Thanks for share i will try it ;)

I got a geeky tip / question for you recording guys. Can someone figure out how I got the feedback at about 5 seconds into the track, given that I was playing at bedroom levels?

I got a geeky tip / question for you recording guys. Can someone figure out how I got the feedback at about 5 seconds into the track, given that I was playing at bedroom levels?

Sounds like it's about 8sec. and its a harmonic you hit just barely (maybe by accident) with your fretting hand. I did that sometimes to haha fake feedback

Gorilla's ALMOST got it :).

The only drawback of recording DI for me has been the lack of harmonic content / feedback. It's just too "sterile". So, what I do for feedback is - I play the root note / chord, and then, depending on how high I want the simulated feedback's frequency to be, I play a 3-5 fret harmonic on another channel. Then, I automate the volumes, blending the two, so that it sounds like a held note going into harmonic feedback. Voila!

Back
Top Bottom