Crushingly heavy 5150 tone - Whitechapel's "Darkest Day of Man"

harsh

Inspired

Ever since I heard this record, I've wanted to nail that tone. It's possibly the heaviest tone I've heard in the past couple of years. Whitechapel used a Kemper 5150 profile set up by Mark Lewis. I've used a 5153 with a dry boost OD in front, going into a stereo cab. How do you guys like it?

Sounds heavy as fuggg. I would cut the gain in half or even more and just double record. Considering they have 3 guitarists, I bet they layer it like crazy.

Yeah, less gain for sure. Double or quad track, panned left and right. A bit of compression upfront never hurts either.

Sounds like it's already multitracked. Gain level is fine. This kind of music calls for it. Definitely curious to know what cabs you're using or how your tweaking it to get that tone. A lot of post processing? I've never been able to come close to that tone with the Peavey models in the Axe.

DAYUM! DAAAAAAAYUM!

This tone is so close it's amazing. Great job! I've never really listened to Whitechapel, so I was amazed when I A/B'ed this bad boy.

Sounds like it's already multitracked. Gain level is fine. This kind of music calls for it. Definitely curious to know what cabs you're using or how your tweaking it to get that tone. A lot of post processing? I've never been able to come close to that tone with the Peavey models in the Axe.

Thanks! Good to see one person who knows what he's talking about. There are indeed 3 rhythm guitar tracks (hard L and R, and a centre one that's automated to come up in the appropriate sections). There are also 3 tracks with reverbs etc. that I've used to emulate the feedback around 10 seconds into the track, and at the end.

Not much post-processing at all. Eq is a hi-pass at about 100 hz, and a 4db narrow scoop around 200-300 hz to remove some mud and help the snare cut through. Then, a multi-band compressor to tame the low chugs (very essential, with that much gain and low end). I'm running a saturation plugin on the master bus to glue everything together, but it's adding a bit of fizz that I dont like.

The cab is a Recto OH, and one one of the Ubers in stereo. I'm posting from work, so I can't remember the exact settings, but can post later this evening. Or, I can share the patch later, if you like?

DAYUM! DAAAAAAAYUM!

This tone is so close it's amazing. Great job! I've never really listened to Whitechapel, so I was amazed when I A/B'ed this bad boy.

Thanks dude! And THANK YOU for A/B'ing against the original. I was a bit surprised by people saying there's too much gain, but I'm chalking that down to them not comparing this to the original. I would normally use a lot less gain than this, but it seems this is how much Whitechapel have used, and it works! :)

This tone rapes everything that has orifices.

What did you do for the drum track? Sounds massive.

Ah, the drums are what took up 90% of the total time spent on this track. I used SD2, but there is a huge amount of processing that went in. Still not happy with it, but it gets me in the ballpark.

Yeah that's super close. Probably be spot on if you didn't have that hp at 100. Nice stuff \,,/

Yeah that's super close. Probably be spot on if you didn't have that hp at 100. Nice stuff \,,/

Thanks, mate. I totally agree, but I had to sacrifice on low-end to maintain clarity and prevent any low end mush. In hindsight, I could have gone a bit lower, I think.

Thanks! Good to see one person who knows what he's talking about. There are indeed 3 rhythm guitar tracks (hard L and R, and a centre one that's automated to come up in the appropriate sections). There are also 3 tracks with reverbs etc. that I've used to emulate the feedback around 10 seconds into the track, and at the end.

Not much post-processing at all. Eq is a hi-pass at about 100 hz, and a 4db narrow scoop around 200-300 hz to remove some mud and help the snare cut through. Then, a multi-band compressor to tame the low chugs (very essential, with that much gain and low end). I'm running a saturation plugin on the master bus to glue everything together, but it's adding a bit of fizz that I dont like.

The cab is a Recto OH, and one one of the Ubers in stereo. I'm posting from work, so I can't remember the exact settings, but can post later this evening. Or, I can share the patch later, if you like?

Thats funny, I was going to say that maybe its the bus saturation that was causing the guitars to have that extra layer of fizz to them that that Fabio wasn't liking. What are you using on the 2bus? This sounds monstrous otherwise, nice job on reigning in the lowend. :) Fucking brutal! The 5153 is chewy as hell!

View attachment 19105

nice, would love the patch. I posted the heaviest gain patch I had made to date on another thread. I will throw it in here as well, though it used too much cpu, needs a few tweeks then bbbbbbbbbbrootal.

Back
Top Bottom