Creating sound in the studio or on stage? Is it different?

Marco Fanton

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi guys,
this is a video of yesterday Gig.
I know sounds strange Italians play Toto sound ... but that's it :D
I am really happy of this sound.
After the sound check the sound engineer says "this is the first time i set the guitar totally flat...!!! Impressive!!"
Before the gig I had a discussion with some friends (who bought some of my presets) about creating the sound in studio or onstage.
My opinion is: "both experiences are necessary!"... with Fractal!!!!
To me Fractal is the only modeler who permits to create a sound ready for any situation, live and studio, thanks to the amazing effects quality.
The only issue is the guitarist needs to think like a sound engineer, not like a guitarist....!!
This is my humble experience.
What do you think?

100% agree. I think the sound has to fit the context and the other instruments involved. My live tone is (on its own) thinner, more spiky and less gain than sounds I use to play at home or record with, as they're designed to fit in with the band at gig volume. It's so easy to create presets for each scenario without compromise.

Great great sound!
(but I've never heard a bad* tone coming from you)
Using a Fractal is almost like cheating 😂

*bad: I know, a bad tone doesn't exist... I mean a tone that wasn't spot-on and fit for the mix

Amazing sound (as always) Marco!!!
Yes as an engineer the hardest part with guitar players during recording sessions is to change their mind: studio and live are a different face of the same coin. You have to think different? Yes! In studio you have to pay attention to intonation, timing and so on but you have to play with "emotion" as you were playing live in front of 1000 people. So I agree with Marco: you have to know both environment and the sounds should reflect this approach.

The only issue is the guitarist needs to think like a sound engineer, not like a guitarist....!!
This is the biggest mindset shift required. You are now the one responsible for the "final sound" and understanding the different requirements of live and studio settings.
Personally I think its mainly a volume thing, with the tone shaping done for the listening medium i.e Studio Monitors vs Venue PA.
A good point well raised!

Amazing sound (as always) Marco!!!
Yes as an engineer the hardest part with guitar players during recording sessions is to change their mind: studio and live are a different face of the same coin. You have to think different? Yes! In studio you have to pay attention to intonation, timing and so on but you have to play with "emotion" as you were playing live in front of 1000 people. So I agree with Marco: you have to know both environment and the sounds should reflect this approach.
Grazie Diego :)

if you mean why vertical video.... believe me!
If you want to get the interesting of people in Instagram or Facebook, vertical videos are 100% better... it is totally nonsense but that's it
No! I mean, to create a video tutorial about tuning the guitar sound like engineer

I think my favorite part is when the singer was playing with his iPad and then just walks off for your solo. Heh.

Anyway....

To me Fractal is the only modeler who permits to create a sound ready for any situation, live and studio, thanks to the amazing effects quality.

Yeah, pretty much.

You've got pretty much everything you need inside the Fractal for a studio or live sound channel. That's not to say they'll always be able to send it flat (mixes, rooms, systems, what the album needs, etc. are all different), but all the stuff everybody does "by default" mixing a guitar...you can just go ahead and do them. And as long as the guy running the board knows about it, it can be simpler for everybody.

All this happens Marco because you both in the studio and live you no longer thinks of a sound "as if made by a guitarist", but as a sound engineer or producer. And the difficulty for many is precisely this. I too, in my own small way, try to behave like this. I stopped being the kid who plays on an amp pumping the low frequencies in an exaggerated way just because it's very cool to hear the palm muting... those frequencies will "always" be cut both live and in the studio because otherwise they clash with the bass and with the kick drum...

If I remember well they're using a digital mixer and the pad for personal monitoring setup... he was raising the guitar level to enjoy the solo 😂
Just joking, he should've stayed and kneel down in absolute veneration

To be clear, I really was just making a silly joke.

The other way to say it is that he literally stepped aside so MF could have the spotlight.

To be clear, I really was just making a silly joke.

The other way to say it is that he literally stepped aside so MF could have the spotlight.
I got your joke and I was trying to be funny... But it's difficult in my native language.. shame on me for trying that in English ;)

And yep, he was miming LaBrie back in the 90'... When Petrucci used to soloing for 10 minutes and every other member was sniffing coke over the amps...
Good ol' times

Oh no, irony again!

Back
Top Bottom