Creating new AMP tones

People have created new amp lines, at the least to introduce things they thought would sound good/great/better.

The Das Metal and FAS6160 are in this vein, right?

How far could you go in making something *really* different?

I found myself doing this to a degree when I previously owned my Ultra and II. I would nearly always at least change the tone stack in whatever amp I was using, as I felt that doing so resulted in some really interesting sounds. I know it's not creating a "new" amp per se, but it felt like using the Axe's power to come up with your own shade of color, at least. I'd like to mess around with using dual amps and then playing with tone stacks to further enhance the difference and exploration.

There doesn't really seem to be anything new. In a very simplified view there is Marshall, Fender, Vox and Mesa Boogie... everything is else is a take on one of those. I also believe the group of people truely interested in "something new" is really small - that is why you have people clamoring for tone match and the like not for tools to create something new. Every now and again there is a call to create something new but the next 10 (or more) posts are "how do I get this (existing) tone?"

How far could you go in making something *really* different?
The deeper Amp block parameters let you play with most of the main design factors that go into "real" amps, with enough range to go from sweet to attrocious. Whatever you can do with real-life analog hardware, you can probably do with the Axe.

If you experiment with the advanced parameters, its quite easy to get sounds that sound nothing like any amp I've ever heard.

I always find myself tweaking the advanced parameters - mostly to tighten up the amp or change distortion character. This is, for me, what sets the axe apart from everything else, and helps me come up with some really unique results.

I've played with the advanced parameters some, though didn't come up with something I felt worked better, overall.

What I'm really interested in is: do you, Cliff, have any ideas (let alone intentions) for blindingly different circuit designs?

:: This might not be an interest for those over....at least 40 (well, except possibly Allan Holdsworth)....but those under, particularly under 30, might be really into it.

What I'm really interested in is: do you, Cliff, have any ideas (let alone intentions) for blindingly different circuit designs?

:: This might not be an interest for those over....at least 40 (well, except possibly Allan Holdsworth)....but those under, particularly under 30, might be really into it.
This might not be of interest to those under...at least 40 ( :) )...but every tube circuit ever built into an amp can be found in tube handbooks that were published over 60 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom