crackling sounds when connected via usb (NOT A BUG)

I'm having an issue when connected via usb to my computer where I get an occasional crackling/white noise sound while playing. If it's sitting idle, it doesnt happen and if its not plugged into the computer, I can't say I've noticed it.

Currently running ver 12.00 (although I've just upgraded to 12.03 - this may have fixed it) and the computer is a very recent toshiba laptop running windows 7. The CPU load seems to read around the 85% mark whether its connected to usb or not (both checked in the utility menu and via the axe edit reading). This seems a bit odd because the patches aren't really that involving and last time I checked, it never used to run that high on its own, but would usually spike a bit when connected.

heres a screen cap of the patch in axe edit:

axe edit screencap.jpg

I've attempted it with everything on the computer closed to see if that was the problem, but it would do it anyway.

I'm not sure what the cause is, but its starting to get a bit frustrating when tracking anything via usb as these noises come through in my daw too.

any thoughts? I'm about to test it with 12.03 and see if that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be that the CPU gets overloaded when connected via USB. Your preset is on 86%CPU which "should" be ok, but might cause overload in some cases.

What kind of CABS are you using? Stereo? Highres? Try to down-size on CAB and see if it still cracks

cabs are both mono hi res and the cpu usage meter still sits at 85/86% when its not connected (read from utility menu)

its getting frustrating when demoing as I'll hit a take and its played fine, but theres this shitty noise all over it, i know its only a demo, but its bloody annoying

also 12.03 didnt help, still did it

use Lo-res setting for your cabs. it's actually Normal res and you probably won't hear a difference unless you are looking for one. don't let your mind fool you.

use Lo-res setting for your cabs. it's actually Normal res and you probably won't hear a difference unless you are looking for one. don't let your mind fool you.

I'll give that a go,

still, I always used to use mono hi res and the cpu usage would never be this high unless it was plugged in via usb, did something change along the way? I couldnt see any real mention in release notes. It used to sit around 55-60% with a similar block layout (last time I checked would have been around ver 9 or thereabouts) and would jump up to 80 or so hen I connected it to the computer, but even then, I wouldnt get these noises.

setting the cabs to lo res dropped the cpu usage about 10-15% and seems to have helped so far, I'll see how it goes in my daw. If I dont have any issues, I'll leave it, but if it pops up, i'll report back.

thanks chris

over time with the firmware updates, a few things used more CPU. if i'm around 85% without USB, the USB pushes me over the top. the CPU usage will increase with USB plugged in and anything over 90% for me has that crackle.

Are you using the reverb, delay and chorus? If not, you might want to delete them because they still require memory if bypassed.

Are you using the reverb, delay and chorus? If not, you might want to delete them because they still require memory if bypassed.

Yes and no, I've got one patch per song in our live set, they're all the same, except the order of the scenes is different based on what's needed in the song and the tempo on each patch is preset based on the tempo of the song, I also have an "emergency" back up patch that's not quite as hot and uses a different amp in case these sound too hot in certain venues, but it still has all the effects ready and set up in scenes.

I suppose I could delete everything that's not being used in any given song, but for now, changing the cabs to be a lores cab seems to have helped, but either way, the patches are fine live, just it crops out when I'm connected to the pc, maybe I could have a few separate patches instead of scenes for recording, will probably help out and I won't have to worry about dropping to lores cabs for either live or recorded use.

Back
Top Bottom