Crackling/digital noise from power supply coming through monitors??

nwolfe88

So - I have a Sapphire Pro 14 interface, which my Axe Fx is hooked up through via SPDIF, and the noise from my PSU seems to be coming through my monitors. It's like a scratchy crackling whiny noise - that gets words when I open new windows on the computer, scroll, etc. I've tried 1/4" connections as well, same thing. I've tried a different interface, same thing. (presonus) The only thing that makes a difference is hooking my monitors up straight to the AXE FX, but I need a setup with the Sapphire in it to record vocals, etc. All my power is plugged into one strip (and the light on the power strip says it's grounded). Any ideas??? This is really annoying. Like I mentioned - it's nearly un-noticeable if the monitors are connected right to the Axe Fx.

Chain --> Axe fx SPDIF out-->Sapphire Pro SPDIF In--> out to monitors

Describe your hardware.

For example this is a know issue with macbooks: external display + firewire audio interface = ground loop.

Dell XPS tower, samsung 24" monitor, firewire from interface to pc, spdif from axe to interface. But it also was the same noise with my other Presonus interface (usb)

So - I have a Sapphire Pro 14 interface, which my Axe Fx is hooked up through via SPDIF, and the noise from my PSU seems to be coming through my monitors. It's like a scratchy crackling whiny noise - that gets words when I open new windows on the computer, scroll, etc. I've tried 1/4" connections as well, same thing. I've tried a different interface, same thing. (presonus) The only thing that makes a difference is hooking my monitors up straight to the AXE FX, but I need a setup with the Sapphire in it to record vocals, etc. All my power is plugged into one strip (and the light on the power strip says it's grounded). Any ideas??? This is really annoying. Like I mentioned - it's nearly un-noticeable if the monitors are connected right to the Axe Fx.

Chain --> Axe fx SPDIF out-->Sapphire Pro SPDIF In--> out to monitors

I am having the same problem.
I replaced the normal audio cables with TRS cables that runs to the monitor speakers and it lowered the noise, but it is still there.
There is no ground loop, I unplugged everything else (even wifi.), but the noise is still there.

The noise on mine sounds like the same noise coming from my PC's power supply unit. I'm just not sure how to stop it from coming through the monitors.

I just read this on another forum:

"It's called "coil whine" and there's no way to get rid of it outside of buying a new PSU."

Then can you explain why I don't hear it (either I don't hear it or it's dramatically quieter) when I use my Axe Fx as the interface?

I just replaced my PSU. I bought a corsair 850. That was not the problem. I can still hear it just as much.

hey Levi-
Is that the crackling I was hearing at your place that you thought was too high a CPU on your preset?

Are any cables touching? I had this issue when my monitor cables were touching a power cable. I would even get people's phone conversations coming through my monitors.

nwolfe, my two cents here...

Is the noise you are experiencing something like a chatter?

If so, I had the exact same problem with a Saffire Pro DSP 24. I brought it to the store where I purchased it, along with my MBP to demonstrate the problem to the salesman. Then we hooked up another Focusrite (a Scarlett model) and guess what, same problem. I emailed Focusrite about this, got a response 2-3 weeks later where they suggested (as levipeto already did) to replace the speaker cables with TRS cables. No success there.

In the end, the vendor (who had no clue) agreed to refund me the Saffire.

I read on other forums that a solution may be to use a DI between the audio interface and the speakers... I haven't tried this though.

Anyways, I went back to using my Audiofire4. Less features than the Saffire, but dead silent.

Back
Top Bottom