Crackle and clicks over AES since Upgrade 18.7

Ironwill

Experienced
Hey, I have a big Issues since Iam on 18.7, I have cracklings and clicks in my recordings, it actually sounds like a clock issue, did something changed there with the Update? i use AES, Axe FX is master for sure.

It's not clipping internal in the Axe-fx stages.

Last edited:
I think i noticed some rare crackles already after 17.04 to 18.00, but I just played and tweaked presets here and there, now after the whole process of updates, so the last one was 18.06 before .07 I started with recording and writing yesterday again in PT. I just thought my Interface wasn't synched as slave but all is setup right and I hear the clicks on my tracks.
If it was before in the 18 fw's it's definitely more in 18.07.

What's also new is that I upgraded to Pro Tools 12 HD the last week..but if this case the issue, CPU usage in my session is also almost nothing by recording. Hm

Someone here tracks over AES as well?

I've been getting the same since 17 - so bad that I've gone back to using the analog outs, which is a pain because I'm out of inputs on my RME UFX.

I've been getting the same since 17 - so bad that I've gone back to using the analog outs, which is a pain because I'm out of inputs on my RME UFX.
Too bad to hear that mister, Analog out's would a alternative, but I likes to track my DI's AES before Analog reamping.
What changed actually in the Axe-fxII Clock, I mean there was a change in 18 right, also in the menu?!

AES is hardware, firmware can't suddenly cause it to crackle. The clock source is now programmable but that's just a hardware setting. FWIW I normally use AES and it's working fine here.

AES is hardware, firmware can't suddenly cause it to crackle. The clock source is now programmable but that's just a hardware setting. FWIW I normally use AES and it's working fine here.

Oh alrighty, is it programmable over the new fw's now or a new hardware settingPart of the XL's?
I don't know then, I not assume that my AES connection or cable is broken, when you say it's hardware related.
Only know that my Interface sync after the Axe FX II master, the signals are digital so thought fw can affect this, but I definitely not clip anywhere.

The Utility Out 1 VU meter (0db line) don't introduce clipping like in the cab Preamp section right, it's only a scale? Not that I missed something there

Last edited:
I use AES and have experienced zero issues using it slaved to my system so far, but I haven't recorded more than a few minutes worth of test based stuff. No real projects or anything yet. I use the AES for the dry for re-amping and if there were going to be some issues I think that it would be more evident alongside a lower signal. Re-amping is flawless.

I will check every Part of my setup again later, from Guitar batterie up to AEs cable at any event.
Will audible clicks, crackle over AES recording always be a hardware issue? So never made by software?

Isn't it a clock issue? Check if your axefx and interface clocks are the same, now that it is programmable.

Back
Top Bottom