CPU usage of fx loop

MrCrossroads83

Experienced
Hello everyone,

As I love this pedal I am planning to use the J Rockett Boing Reverb pedal in the fx loop of the FM 3 in order to save some CPU power by not using the reverb block for most of the time.
Does the internal loop block also need a certain CPU power?

I’m sorry, unfortunately I can’t answer your question. However, it’s my understanding that the FM3 dedicates one cpu to anp and reverbs.

I may have it all wrong and feel free to set me straight, anyone. But anyways, If that’s the case, then running an external reverb is a waste of cpu. Or does the reverb cpu then get used by other blocks if you don’t have verb in your preset?

Hello everyone,

As I love this pedal I am planning to use the J Rockett Boing Reverb pedal in the fx loop of the FM 3 in order to save some CPU power by not using the reverb block for most of the time.
Does the internal loop block also need a certain CPU power?
Not sure how much CPU an FX loop would use, if any. Whatever it does use, it will be far less than even the most basic reverb block. Keep in mind that if you have it on the grid and it is turned off, it still consumes the same amount of CPU.

Keep in mind that if you have it on the grid and it is turned off, it still consumes the same amount of CPU.

Really? Is it just a small 'maintenance level' amount of processing to keep the block's space in the grid, or
does it use the same horsepower whether on or off?

Really? Is it just a small 'maintenance level' amount of processing to keep the block's space in the grid, or
does it use the same horsepower whether on or off?
It is the same either on or off. Just placing blocks on the grid. The reason that they do this is that you don't to place a bunch of blocks on the grid, but when you go to enable them there isn't enough CPU. This would likely cause lots of problems.

Also, in order to be ready to be punched in without delay, most blocks process data all the time.
This is the real main reason. When you bypass a stomp box on a traditional pedalboard, you don’t turn it off. You just bypass it. It’s still running.

Last edited:
There’s no “Fx Loop block” on the FM3 or Axe3, instead you just add appropriate Input and Output blocks.

Input blocks use around 4.7% cpu and Outputs use around 1.8%. This is much lower than the ~25% of most reverb types on normal.

I’m sorry, unfortunately I can’t answer your question. However, it’s my understanding that the FM3 dedicates one cpu to anp and reverbs.

I may have it all wrong and feel free to set me straight, anyone. But anyways, If that’s the case, then running an external reverb is a waste of cpu. Or does the reverb cpu then get used by other blocks if you don’t have verb in your preset?

Hello? ;)

I guess the real question is how is the CPU allocated for reverb?

Early on they were saying that the reverb and amp block were dedicated to one core and that if you did not include reverb in your preset the other FX could not take advantage of the unused processing power from that core. If this is still the way the resources are allocated there would be no advantage to using an outboard reverb unit.

Edit: I see @DanDesy asked the same question. @Admin M@ can you add any insight for us?

I guess the real question is how is the CPU allocated for reverb?

Early on they were saying that the reverb and amp block were dedicated to one core and that if you did not include reverb in your preset the other FX could not take advantage of the unused processing power from that core. If this is still the way the resources are allocated there would be no advantage to using an outboard reverb unit.
Reverb blocks on average use 25% available CPU. regardless of what CPU it uses, the CPU increases toward the limit and it is what it is at that point.

Ok thanks for the many answers. Tough decision but as I really liked the Boing I think I am going to buy it again (I sold it in 2018 as all other pedals after purchasing the AX 8 😀) and see which I like better... The simulation of the FM 3 or the Boing which is also a spring reverb simulation. The spring reverb was the only effect that I did not like in the AX 8 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the many answers. Tough decision but as I really liked the Boing I think I am going to buy it again (I sold it in 2018 as all other pedals after purchasing the AX 8 😀) and see which I like better... The simulation of the FM 3 or the Boing which is also a spring reverb simulation. The spring reverb was the only effect that did not like in the AX 8 🤷‍♂️

For what it's worth the spring reverb got some attention and improvement in one of the AxeIII FW updates. I'm not a fan of spring reverb, so I cannot comment on how much it improved but its definitely been enhanced since the AX8.

No. Because the cpu meter has it free to use.

So the when a reverb block is off is the 25% processing available for anything else, or is it on standby
and dedicated to that block regardless of the on/off state? Sorry if this is redundant but it's still not entirely
clear to me. Thanks.

So the when a reverb block is off is the 25% processing available for anything else, or is it on standby
and dedicated to that block regardless of the on/off state? Sorry if this is redundant but it's still not entirely
clear to me. Thanks.
All blocks on the grid use CPU regardless of whether or not they are active or bypassed.

Back
Top Bottom