AFIII Cover: Meshuggah - Born in Dissonance - Guitars, Bass, and Vocals all through the III

gtrplyr1122

I've been a longtime lurker here since about 5 years ago when I bought my II XL. Today I was experiencing a bit of writer's block, so I started working on learning and recording a cover of the subject song. I got halfway through recording it, and remembered that I had been meaning to try out recording some screaming vocals through the Axe FX. I've never recorded vocals before, so I looked up a video from the Youtube channel "Hardcore Music Studio" on mixing techniques for screaming vocals and tried to replicate as much of what he was doing as I could with the signal chain in my Axe FX. I didn't finish recording the whole song, since this was just for fun, but I now have a useable preset for screaming vocals that I can pull up for my original music, so hopefully that will get the creative sparks flying again!

This is what I ended up with. Hope you guys enjoy!

Gear:
Kiesel AM8
ESP LTD B205SM
Shure Beta 58A
Yamaha MG06
Axe FX III
Modern and Massive Drum VSTi

No problem. The guitar is a heavily modified version of a preset I converted from Axe II ->3 called "THY ART IS MURDER" on axechange. Bass is a modified version of one of the SeeD presets, with which I did the same. On the bass preset I had to drop my bass 5 semitones to match the tuning to my 8 string, hence the pitch block. The vocal preset I just threw together based on the video I mentioned before. If I were to do it again, I would probably run the drive pedal on the vocal preset in parallel and run a high pass filter on the distorted part to make the low part of the growls come through more clearly.

Attachments

• BID Bass.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
  • BID Guitar.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 25
  • BID Vocals.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
I've been a longtime lurker here since about 5 years ago when I bought my II XL. Today I was experiencing a bit of writer's block, so I started working on learning and recording a cover of the subject song. I got halfway through recording it, and remembered that I had been meaning to try out recording some screaming vocals through the Axe FX. I've never recorded vocals before, so I looked up a video from the Youtube channel "Hardcore Music Studio" on mixing techniques for screaming vocals and tried to replicate as much of what he was doing as I could with the signal chain in my Axe FX. I didn't finish recording the whole song, since this was just for fun, but I now have a useable preset for screaming vocals that I can pull up for my original music, so hopefully that will get the creative sparks flying again!

This is what I ended up with. Hope you guys enjoy!

Gear:
Kiesel AM8
ESP LTD B205SM
Shure Beta 58A
Yamaha MG06
Axe FX III
Modern and Massive Drum VSTi

That sounds great, can i ask how you ran vocals into your axe? I tried today thru input 2 and got a terrible signal, did you use a mic preamp?

Back
Top Bottom