Couple pickup wiring questions for those in the know

Brownmatthall

Power User
I have an older prototype Ltd (the h 251fm I believe) that I've used as a very reliable beater since my earliest days playing, it's got the stock esp neck pup and a crunch lab in the bridge and when set to the middle position the phase cancellation is pretty severe. I was wondering if there was a way I could flip the polarity on one or if there was something I could do to help because right now the position is pretty much unusable. I was also wanting to swap out the 3 way switch for a 5 way I have laying around so I could get some coil split tones from this guitar, it already has a coil tap so is this feasible and if so is there a diagram?

I think you can use a DPDT toggle switch or a push/pull volume/tone pot to flip the polarity on one of the pups. As an example, I have a H-S-H guitar with two DPDT switches + 5-way selector and volume/tone. One switch acts as coil tap for the humbuckers, the other is a phase inverter. I'd think you'd be able to use something similar. Or if the phase inverter isn't what you're after, couldn't you literally flip one of the humbuckers around to reverse polarity? So North would be South or vice versa?

If you need a wiring diagram lemme know with a PM.

I always get the free wiring diagrams from GuitarElectronics.com - I think that have a diagram for just about every possible scenario (including coil tap and phase inversion), well organized, easy to find. If I follow the diagrams correctly (sometimes an issue) their diagrams have always worked. I've probably "fixed" 10
Guitars in the last three years using that resource.

I always get the free wiring diagrams from GuitarElectronics.com - I think that have a diagram for just about every possible scenario (including coil tap and phase inversion), well organized, easy to find. If I follow the diagrams correctly (sometimes an issue) their diagrams have always worked. I've probably "fixed" 10
Guitars in the last three years using that resource.
Thank you for the heads up about this site, looks like it's going to be a great (and possibly dangerous for a tinkerer...) resource!

...couldn't you literally flip one of the humbuckers around to reverse polarity? So North would be South or vice versa?

In a word, no. You have to flip the wiring around. Pretty easy to do, but it takes a soldering gun, not just a screwdriver. ;)

Either your pickups were accidentally wired out of phase, or they intended it to be that way (which is pretty rare).

Or there's a push/pull pot on your guitar that you haven't discovered yet. :)

I have an older prototype Ltd (the h 251fm I believe) that I've used as a very reliable beater since my earliest days playing, it's got the stock esp neck pup and a crunch lab in the bridge and when set to the middle position the phase cancellation is pretty severe. I was wondering if there was a way I could flip the polarity on one or if there was something I could do to help because right now the position is pretty much unusable. I was also wanting to swap out the 3 way switch for a 5 way I have laying around so I could get some coil split tones from this guitar, it already has a coil tap so is this feasible and if so is there a diagram?
I've lurked this forum for a long time... but this is my first post, hi all!
All you have to do is flip the red and the green wire on the dimarzio and it will fix the out of phase problem .... or it should. Peace. B.

I've lurked this forum for a long time... but this is my first post, hi all!
All you have to do is flip the red and the green wire on the dimarzio and it will fix the out of phase problem .... or it should. Peace. B.
Hello, and thank you I'll try this later in the week!

Back
Top Bottom