Country Rock

When I saw Jason Aldean live here in New Orleans several years ago, they were rocking 6505s. I couldn't believe what I was hearing coming from a country band, not your standard overdriven Fender amp. New Country is almost like glam rock back in the 80s, but a little lighter and with different lyrics. Most of these guys can shred which you don't usually find on the albums, but is apparent live.

Yup. It's nuts. Like I said above, almost more guitar than in a lot of current Rock stuff which is getting
all sampled and synthed out for some reason. :)

What do you mean exactly by quasi humbucker configuration?
if i remember correctly, the mod gives you a pickup selection with both pickups in series (instead of the usual both pups in parallel with selector in middle position) which is like how a humbucker is wired (two winding sections in series), but probably not exactly the same as the individual pickup coils would be different than a typical humbucker pickup - hence quazi. Here's a vid showing what looks like a standard vintage tele but modded with a bunch of additoinal tone selections including "quazi humbucker".

Edit: I believe this kind of thing fooled me when I first got my tele and wondered how the heck some of these players were managing to get even into metal tones with what looked like a basic tele - I suspect such stealthy mods may be the answer some of the time.

Edit2: The other reason I would call it a "quazi humbucker" mode is that the two sections of the humbucker (both pups wired in series) are spaced very far apart so yielding a different type of tone than a standard humbucker where the two sections are bound together - tho still providing the strength of tone of a humbucker.

Last edited:
I'm in a country band and we cover that Tim McGraw song. I use the same amp for all my country tones, the 65 Bassguy Normal, cab is a Legacy 4x12 Greenback Mix. It is set up fairly clean, just the slightest bit of hair which I can increase with an exp pedal along with a few dbs of level until it has enough for rock-lead and then I use the Tone Of Kings drive from there if I need an even more rock sound,
And of course, I play Tele's and I use a strat a little too. Key to a good country sound is a Tele IMO and whatever you do, do not use a fuzz type drive, if you use any drive you want it to leave the basic tone of the guitar as unadulterated as possible, let all of that twang come through, that's why I like the Tone Of Kings drive because it does just that.

Last edited:
Brad has been a DR Z guy for decades. I'd try the Trainwreck Express in the Fractal to get you in that territory.
Pretty sure DR Z did a version of the Trainwreck for Brad's signature amp.

Brad's playing is amazing because there is not much compression or saturation going on. All that heavy lifting
is pure fingers. :)

A part of his overdriven sound is his Wampler Paisley Drive pedal, it cleans up nicely and then sings when he rolls up the sound.

A part of his overdriven sound is his Wampler Paisley Drive pedal, it cleans up nicely and then sings when he rolls up the sound.

Cool! Haven't been keeping up on the tube amp developments. :) I didn't know he had
the higher wattage Z Rex. It was the older 2010 or so Z Wreck I was thinking of.

Last edited:
Before I started using Fractal gear, my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 was perfect for country and country rock. All shades of Matchless and an AC30 on steroids. On the Axe FX, I get great country rock tones from the Vox AC30, Matchless DC30 and Trainwreck Express amps
Which guy? Bogner Blue is a great channel? I’ve had some success this afternoon with two bad cats; one clean one dirty and a blues od in front
Joe Don Rooney is Bogner XTC. 101b miced w sm57 / Royer 121

Is there anything the fractal drives can do to emulate the wampler paisley drive?

My understanding is the Paisley Drive is essentially just a riff off of the Nobels ODR-1.

"Boutique builder Brian Wampler is a self-confessed lover of the ODR-1. In a video for his Wampler Belle, which is itself a close tribute to the ODR-1, he explains that the circuit's DNA appears across his line. The Underdog Overdrive is "loosely based on the three-band version of [the ODR-1]. Then that became part of the Paisley Drive Deluxe, after Brad Paisley loved that particular pedal."

https://reverb.com/news/the-nobels-odr-1-nashvilles-favorite-overdrive-and-the-pedals-its-inspired

My understanding is the Paisley Drive is essentially just a riff off of the Nobels ODR-1.

"Boutique builder Brian Wampler is a self-confessed lover of the ODR-1. In a video for his Wampler Belle, which is itself a close tribute to the ODR-1, he explains that the circuit's DNA appears across his line. The Underdog Overdrive is "loosely based on the three-band version of [the ODR-1]. Then that became part of the Paisley Drive Deluxe, after Brad Paisley loved that particular pedal."

https://reverb.com/news/the-nobels-odr-1-nashvilles-favorite-overdrive-and-the-pedals-its-inspired
very cool ,so if the ODR based on like a Klon or TS type circuits ?, hopefully with the new drive block and techniques FAS will do a Nobles model or the Wampler belle

very cool ,so if the ODR based on like a Klon or TS type circuits ?, hopefully with the new drive block and techniques FAS will do a Nobles model or the Wampler belle

I bet the Boss could get his hands on a vintage ODR-1. That would be super cool!

Paging Tim Pierce. Paging Tim Pierce. Please report to the Service Desk. :)

Back
Top Bottom