Country Rock

nobels_odr1_overdrive-plus_sch.pdf_1.png

Maybe someone smarter than I am can discern a few things from the schematic.

"Compression" for starters... you can copy some country blues "twang" presets and overdrive with distortion, reverb, delay which will get you in the ballpark.
As for the Tele "twang" sound that comes from the pickups, not so much the body shape, construction material and neck which play a minute factor. so when you take a telecaster body and go with HH pups of your choice you can start to get heavy rock / metal out of that guitar body same as any other, the neck wood / fingerboard selection would play minute factors into that sound.. but honestly you can take a "hello kitty" guitar with a single pickup and run it through the FM3, doctor it up and pull sounds out of it that you never thought possible.. :)
Not sure if that helped any?

The Wampler Paisley Drive (single pedal) is a TS/808 variant. The Paisley Drive Deluxe has the Paisley(TS) and a Nobels ODR-S clone originally called the Underdog.

https://www.wamplerpedals.com/blog/latest-news/2017/10/rooting-for-the-underdog/

For the standard Paisley Drive start with one of the tube screamers.

For the Nobels side? No idea. Cliff added a Klon which he said he’d never do. Maybe next we can convince him to add a Nobels.

I play full time in a country band that is more rock. 65 bassman amp at edge of breakup and the klone for dirt. It’s there.
Yea, honestly, a big iron Fender right at the sweet spot is perfect for this kind of thing.

As for the Z Wreck stuff with Brad Paisley- I'm no expert on his rig, but the Z Wreck is an el84 amp, and probably closer to a TW Rocket than an Express- the FAS Wreck is based on an Express isn't it? More of a rock machine with it's el34s. If you want more gain, the Liverpool is the preamp of the Express (higher gain) with el84s, iirc. Really, this whole country/rock sounds is pretty attainable on a wide variety of amps. Like I mentioned above, Bassman heads are great for this sort of thing, the Bandmaster would take you right there, the AC30 or AC20 models would do it, the Ruby Rocket, etc.

And a few people above mentioned G&Ls- holy smokes, do G&Ls absolutely nail the beefy country thing. I'll put my ASAT Special up for that kind of thing any day. Those funny looking jumbo MFDs are perfect for that sort of thing. I have no idea why more people don't play G&Ls- they're awesome guitars.

And a few people above mentioned G&Ls- holy smokes, do G&Ls absolutely nail the beefy country thing. I'll put my ASAT Special up for that kind of thing any day. Those funny looking jumbo MFDs are perfect for that sort of thing. I have no idea why more people don't play G&Ls- they're awesome guitars.

Compared the ASAT against a Player Tele and decided to keep the Fender. Both are good guitars but I hated how G&L covered the maple fretboard with paint.

My understanding is the Paisley Drive is essentially just a riff off of the Nobels ODR-1.
The Paisley Deluxe, which is one of Wampler’s two-in-one drives, has the ODR-1 side, but the Paisley side is not based on it. Paisley, in the video above, says his drive sounded “very, very, similar” to his Trainwreck, which is why I’d start with the Trainwreck amp then maybe add the ODR or TS to push it harder..

I have a Paisley drive, not the deluxe version, on my board, and I don’t hear much of a TS sound from it. Purportedly I have it set up much like Paisley does, and it is pretty clean and clear until I turn up the guitar and it starts to breakup. He demonstrates the difference between the two in…

Last edited:
Yea, honestly, a big iron Fender right at the sweet spot is perfect for this kind of thing.

As for the Z Wreck stuff with Brad Paisley- I'm no expert on his rig, but the Z Wreck is an el84 amp, and probably closer to a TW Rocket than an Express- the FAS Wreck is based on an Express isn't it? More of a rock machine with it's el34s. If you want more gain, the Liverpool is the preamp of the Express (higher gain) with el84s, iirc. Really, this whole country/rock sounds is pretty attainable on a wide variety of amps. Like I mentioned above, Bassman heads are great for this sort of thing, the Bandmaster would take you right there, the AC30 or AC20 models would do it, the Ruby Rocket, etc.

Nice ill try the band commander model as well. Was having decent success with two bad cats yesterday. Two bad cats with a blues Od was getting close. The other important thing is what cabs to use for this type of tone?

I used the z wreck for a while and id agree with what your saying. For me personally, the low end is "too" tight for country msuic. Its kinda like a spongey marshall. It sounds incredible, and pretty much necessary for anything brad paisley songs.

I played a few USA G&L guitars side by side with USA PRS and Charvel guitars in a shop a few years back. They were really good instruments. They are under rated for sure.

Compared the ASAT against a Player Tele and decided to keep the Fender. Both are good guitars but I hated how G&L covered the maple fretboard with paint.
Wow! I’ve never seen one that was painted- you mean the top of the fretboard? They’re usually done up exactly the same as a Fender…. A painted fretboard sounds awful- I’d pass on that too!

Wow! I’ve never seen one that was painted- you mean the top of the fretboard? They’re usually done up exactly the same as a Fender…. A painted fretboard sounds awful- I’d pass on that too!
Yes, exactly. I ordered it in butterscotch blonde and the fretboard came painted in the same color ... ewwww 🤮

I have great results using the DC30 EF86
Especially with the DC30 in a dual amp patch. Optical comp, KOT with the drive down. Slapback delay and spring verb. And it is a great modern country rig 😉👍

I played in a modern country band for years--lots of harder rock style stuff like Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line, etc. My favorite way to approach this on the Fractal is the Atomica Hi model. It's got girth and punch, but is never overly saturated, so you get great string clarity and it's not overly bright like some of the Marshall models can be. My starting point was an Austin Buddy preset, which I think was Atomica #2. I adjusted very slightly. I was mostly playing a Telecaster with Duncan Quarter Pound pickups or a PRS.

Edit: After listening to the clips again from the OP. I would also suggest the Bad Cat Hot Cat model with an open back 2x12 IR.

I played in a modern country band for years--lots of harder rock style stuff like Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line, etc. My favorite way to approach this on the Fractal is the Atomica Hi model. It's got girth and punch, but is never overly saturated, so you get great string clarity and it's not overly bright like some of the Marshall models can be. My starting point was an Austin Buddy preset, which I think was Atomica #2. I adjusted very slightly. I was mostly playing a Telecaster with Duncan Quarter Pound pickups or a PRS.

Edit: After listening to the clips again from the OP. I would also suggest the Bad Cat Hot Cat model with an open back 2x12 IR.
I have austin buddy live gold so ill try that atomica preset. Ive been having luck with two bad cats one clean one high gain and various drives

those really aren't that "heavy" to me, and I gigged in Nashville for years. Heavier tones to me are something like She's Country by Aldean etc. Both of those could be achieved with just a dirt pedal into whatever amp you want...especially the McGraw song, which just sounds like a TS to me. For heavier country/bro country tones I always had a patch with the Friedman BE or Bogner Euro Blue ready to go.

those really aren't that "heavy" to me, and I gigged in Nashville for years. Heavier tones to me are something like She's Country by Aldean etc. Both of those could be achieved with just a dirt pedal into whatever amp you want...especially the McGraw song, which just sounds like a TS to me. For heavier country/bro country tones I always had a patch with the Friedman BE or Bogner Euro Blue ready to go.
I largely agree that they can be easily played with any type of TS/Marshall combo, but those two songs (amongst others ive heard) just sound a bit different in character to me tone wise. Usually when i play live since i have to play hard rock and shred a bit for many songs, i tend to go marshall and TS. My last gig i went with a Brit 800 edge of breakup and Suhr Riot for my gain and liked it alot. Anytime ive tried Class A or fender type stuff it never quite gets me into the “soloing” territory, unless I completely change my style of playing. But ive just been bored so trying to make the tele country rock thing work because these guys cover alot of tonal ground :)

Back
Top Bottom