Countdown 0.5...

If everyone is throwing in their 2 cents into the conspiracy theory.....my guess (confirmed by converting the background hiss of my Ultra through an advanced "Fractal" algorithm....) Is that the countdown is a for a new Firmware upgrade but not like previous ones, one that is the product of months of advanced number crunching, initially intended to allow more user cabs but in the end opening up far more extra processing power than could be imagined on the outset. Both fractals will than become far more powerful machines and open up new possibilities for the current architecture.

if it is a new axe-fx, the resale value of 1st gen units would most likely drop immediately then stabilize. since a lot of us wouldn't want to be without some version of the axe-fx for any long period of time, the rate at which the 1st gen units show up ebay would likely track the rate of production / sale of the new units.

i.e. if it is indeed a new axe-fx, it doesn't seem there would be any real upside in selling your current axe-fx until you have the new one in your hands.

Agree, and if this is true the price for the new Axe-fx should be higher than the current, so the value of old units will not drop too fast and they can keep the new orders under control.

If there really is a new box coming out that's an Ultra v2 or whatever, which would replace the current Ultra, then Cliff's statement about everybody being happy with the news is quite the falsehood. I won't be happy, as I had stated here a couple weeks back I would be very bummed out. I just bought an Ultra a couple months ago. It's now barely been long enough that I couldn't return it under the evaluation period. So basically I'd have this excellent box that I love, but I'd be disappointed that I bought it and didn't wait just the tiniest bit longer so I could get the new one. I'm up against the 95% processor wall all the time, and I've not yet made any patches that do more than approximate a scaled-down version of the two amp rig plus pedals that I was playing before buying the Ultra. If there's a new box that can pull that off but with more processor power so I could actually simulate all the pedals I used to use, sure I would want it. If that involves selling my Ultra for a loss and buying a new unit that costs more than the Ultra did, that will not make me happy.

So based on Cliff saying that everybody would be happy with what's revealed at the end of the countdown, it can't be a new version of the Ultra because that would make me the opposite of happy.

If there really is a new box coming out that's an Ultra v2 or whatever, which would replace the current Ultra, then Cliff's statement about everybody being happy with the news is quite the falsehood. I won't be happy, as I had stated here a couple weeks back I would be very bummed out. I just bought an Ultra a couple months ago. It's now barely been long enough that I couldn't return it under the evaluation period. So basically I'd have this excellent box that I love, but I'd be disappointed that I bought it and didn't wait just the tiniest bit longer so I could get the new one. I'm up against the 95% processor wall all the time, and I've not yet made any patches that do more than approximate a scaled-down version of the two amp rig plus pedals that I was playing before buying the Ultra. If there's a new box that can pull that off but with more processor power so I could actually simulate all the pedals I used to use, sure I would want it. If that involves selling my Ultra for a loss and buying a new unit that costs more than the Ultra did, that will not make me happy.

So based on Cliff saying that everybody would be happy with what's revealed at the end of the countdown, it can't be a new version of the Ultra because that would make me the opposite of happy.

He will make us a little less unhappy with the new firmware :D

Well...

Maybe if there is a new unit, Cliff may offer a trade in program if you purchased your AxeFx within the past 3-6 months(I'm just throwing a number out here) Then he takes your old unit, checks it out, "refurbs" it and lists it as B stock. This is just speculation by the way. lol

Can someone synthetize what Cliff has said for now ?
As far as i can see :
- It's a thing making everybody happy
- It's none of the poll options (smaller and or more powerful axe-fx,pc base axe-fx ,on floor unit nor partnership with another company or other)

Do you have some Cliff statements i missed ?

As far as i can see :
- It's none of the poll options (smaller and or more powerful axe-fx,pc base axe-fx ,on floor unit nor partnership with another company or other)

I think the G66 is the most indicative:

i just got a reply from g66 about my order (axe fx ultra). they basically said that the countdown would be the update of my order.

As far as i can see :

Sooooo, what you are saying is...

You want some Cliff-notes?

Cliff just simplified the whole thing.

AxeBox.jpg

Or maybe it's the new Fractal Axe-From-ABox. With the two combined, you would be invinsible.

Attachments

• Axefromabox.jpg
    Axefromabox.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Iloks and alikes are cracked like peanuts.
UAD is probably the only one not hacked yet, due the UAD card is a big dongle. The plugin code runs on the Sharc CPU on the card. In order to release a PCIE and firewire attached boxes I would estimate around 700$ for a PCIE card and 1000$ for a firewire box. Don't forget the UAD uses a 20$ Sharc, Fractal uses a 150$ TigerSharc
But if Cliff is around:
How about utilizing CUDA or OPENCL ? Even 120-150$ videocards are offering a lot of processing power, huge memory and bandwith? Nvidia has PhysX. It seems to fit the modeling actual physics theory.

SNN3001MAN_180_634162a.jpg

Que?

okay so i totally dreamt that it was a series of single space rack units that were fx specific (a delay box, a modulation box, etc....)

not sure how OK i am with having a dream about a forum thread hahah

This could also be interpreted as Fractal possibly holding Axe FX orders to make sure all new units are loaded with the (very likely) new firmware that is being released. Maybe there are a large number of Axe FXs ready, but if this is a significant firmware update, perhaps Cliff wanted to ensure that they all go out with the new firmware on it.

i just got a reply from g66 about my order (axe fx ultra). they basically said that the countdown would be the update of my order.
so this tells me the following: (+the delivery waiting)

- its going to be a new AxeFx Ultra product (2nd generation) which replaces the old existing models
- so its not going to be another product (why should they tell me that this would be a update of my order??)
- idk if its going to be more powerful (because its already using the fastest processor) but prob it will have more options..e.g. more memory, prob USB connector
- and prob same size
- i also do assume that there is going to be a firmware update with that--> also new firmware updates will be avaible for 1st generation users

just assumptions and just three days left ;)

Where are all of you getting the info that Cliff said that nobody will be disappointed? If you are basing all this on the comment "it won't be a let down" from the gear page, I think you might be misinterpreting that statement.

To me it solely means that whatever it is that is being released is going to be awesome an worth the wait and countdown hype. It doesn't necessarily imply that those of you who have ultras aren't going to potentially be pissed when it's released.

After reading all of the G66 countdown pages, I have a couple speculations.

1. New Firmware + Axe-Edit 1.0
2. Axe-Fx Firmware going open-source with Cliff acting as a code moderator.

I think the G66 is the most indicative:

That G66 statement ("..the countdown would be the update of my order") is open to all kinds of speculations, thus fueling the rumor mill even more, which I think is the whole intent of the quote. I just got a B-Stock Ultra (I used to own an Ultra last year, sold it, missed it, and now I'm awaiting my order with the MFC-101 as well). If it turns out that it is indeed a v2 release, then I won't be disappointed at all, just curious to see if it adds anything that I NEED.

It reminds me of digital photography forums. As a photographer/musician, I make money off of my tools. I don't need to have the latest and greatest DSLR, however, there are those that do, whether they need it or not. My philosophy is that if your current tools are good enough to satisfy your specific needs then there is no point of upgrading. However, your needs change all the time. For example, I now need to shoot video with my DSLR, so I recently HAD to upgrade to a camera that could handle both. In terms of guitar rigs, the Ultra is all I need. It doesn't cover ALL of my needs (i.e. looper deficiencies), but meets almost all.

I don't see any point in a updated version just yet..Cliff is having problems supplying the demand with the current systems on offer, so what would be the point in wasting the the current demand by releasing an improved Ax?

It makes much more business sense to wait until the demand for current units has dropped then come out with an updated version.

Maybe an "add on" or a floorboard "Ax lite" i could see happening, but I would be very surprised by another high end Ax just yet.

Last edited:
Since we're still guessing, I think an effects only unit or cheaper less powerful unit with less effects/models available at a time (sharc instead of tiger sharc?) with some added new algorithms that us current owners will get with a new firmware is coming.

I don't see any point in a updated version just yet..Cliff is having problems supplying the demand with the current systems on offer, so what would be the point in wasting the the current demand by releasing an improved Ax?

It makes much more business sense to wait until the demand for current units has dropped then come out with an updated version.

Maybe an "add on" or a floorboard "Ax lite" i could see happening, but I would be very surprised by another high end Ax just yet.

This is exactly what I used to think before that G66 statement: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-general-discussion/35645-countdown-3-a-38.html#post486406

Back
Top Bottom