Countdown 0.5...

I'm just hoping that procrastination may benefit me this time :D I just started trying to buy an Ultra last week and have been continually trying. I think I may just give up for 5 more days. This is my first post to this Countdown but it has been entertaining reading the speculation. Someone should have kept track of who had the first guess of what this will be and whoever got it right gets FREE one! So for my entry, (I don't think this has been mentioned) it will be a new box for the Standard and the Ultra only a slimmer sleeker 1U space. With a USB port and final version Axe-Edit. Being only a 1U footprint, it won't be meant to do all the tweeking and editing on the unit but from the software. All parameters still accessible from the front panel just not as easy as the 2U box. Of course if it is an updated Axe-Fx I probably won't be able to get my hands on one for at least another 6 months...

I feel your pain, I'm in the same situation. Just auctioned off a bunch of old gear on ebay to help fund the purchase and now I can't get one. Think I'll wait until the countdown is over (not that I could find one in stock anyway). Maybe it will end up working out better for us in the end.

Where is 5 ? :roll
G66 - Home
I think it's a thick tablet PC with the Axe-Edit, an Hard drive and a sequencer.

images

Last edited:
Cliff said no one will be disappointed.

It's naive to think that no one will be disappointed. Someone will be. If its not new hardware that has USB and the ability to store every IR that someone has they won't like it. If its new firmware then the people holding out for new hardware will be disappointed. Someone will be disappointed because it doesn't have exactly what they think it should be.

Cliff said no one will be disappointed.

I think it is AxeEdit and a firmware update that is very good. Maybe the user cabs implementation has been greatly improved so we can load cabs into existing stock cab locations or something along those lines.

Part of Fractals edge over some of the competition is the ability to use 3rd party IRs. Were it me I would really enhance that feature to increase the distance between competing products.

I think it's been said, that this isn't possible, but if Cliff's had some kind of "breakthrough" that might make it possible .... That would be AWESOME !

I just hope that when this countdown is finally over, whatever product is announced would be immediately in stock. I mean, to do a countdown only to make the announcement without an actual product in stock would be atrociously cruel, as it would start yet another countdown for X product to be in stock!!

Since nobody has said it yet: Fractal is going to start selling Jay's speakers!

I meant to come on here and post that yesterday. It would probably never happen, but it's a funny thought anyway...

I really have no idea what Cliff has up his sleeve, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it is.

D

I don't think it will be the next generation Axe-fx. They are still selling more units than they can stock, so why make a new one now?

For the same reasons Apple makes new iPhones and iPads every year. There's nothing wrong with the old ones, but the existing user base is so fanatically dedicated they will spend cash to upgrade to the newest version. The current Standard and Ultra are selling well, but they can only sell them to people who don't already own one. New hardware will appeal to ALL, except maybe the unlucky few who JUST bought the old version.

i still say a standalone speaker sim unit.loaded with Redwirez,Ownhammer and whatever else.plus updated stock cabs.w/IR's longer than 1024.

I think it still makes sense that it will be both software, and a stripped down, lesser priced unit targeted at the younger players, who may not have the cash to spend on a Standard or Ultra. That would fit the "no one will be dissapointed" statement. If that is the case, what would they call the new unit, an Axe-Fx Sub-Standard?

I think current owners of Ultras and standards may be disappointed by a stripped down version of what they already have (unless they seek a stripped down version as an extra or backup, etc.). ULTRA II would be great haha.

Hmmm, interesting, because I have a Standard, and it wouldn't dissapoint me at all. I personally wouldn't want any less than what I have, but I think it would be nice to give folks, with less cash to spend, a chance join the club. Also, I think there's definitely a market for that type of unit, and it would help fuel the Fractal Audio machine, which would benefit everyone.

For the same reasons Apple makes new iPhones and iPads every year. There's nothing wrong with the old ones, but the existing user base is so fanatically dedicated they will spend cash to upgrade to the newest version. The current Standard and Ultra are selling well, but they can only sell them to people who don't already own one. New hardware will appeal to ALL, except maybe the unlucky few who JUST bought the old version.
Different business models here which isn't an argument, but I'm actually agreeing with your perception of most of the tech industry. Only thing better than selling 10 million iphones is selling 10 million iphones to the same people every frickin' year. :razz

I'm still using a prepaid RazorIII because I can do crazy crap on it like make a phone call. Until I have a legitimate need for something more or it breaks I have no intention on upgrading.

I love being an old crotchety guy.

I think it still makes sense that it will be both software, and a stripped down, lesser priced unit targeted at the younger players, who may not have the cash to spend on a Standard or Ultra. That would fit the "no one will be dissapointed" statement. If that is the case, what would they call the new unit, an Axe-Fx Sub-Standard?

Hatchet fx?? :lol

I see your point, and yes, Axe-fx users are "fanatics", but if they can stock units just for 1 hour it means that they have a lot of new potential buyer that can be satisfied with a productivity increase = cash for Fractal Audio. If FA wants to increase their selling, they need first to increase productivity to be able to publicize more their product (many guitarists in my country never heard about the Axe-fx).
As you said, a totally new Axe-fx will appeal both new and old customers, making them unhappy if they can't afford one.
Furthermore the Apple's products has a faster lifecycle then music gear and they sell milions of units every year.

Last edited:
Thinking out of the box...

CC is leaving as President of Fractal Audio Systems, to go off fishing in a sub.
Jay is appointed as head of the Communications Division.
The build of a new Fractal plant in Abbottabad is announced.
CC quits Fractal to become the new Dream Theater drummer.
Fractal Audio buys empty coastal factory halls in The East to increase supply.
News leaks that CC was at one time involved in adult movies, as shown in The Cliffbanger.

Back
Top Bottom