Countdown 0.5...

my God...I sure hope so. I put off buying the Ultra for over a year in case the BBD (Bigger better deal) was going to come out..some new incarnation that had transwarp drive fueled by magic dust ground up from unicorn horns. Not that I'm unhappy with my Ultra now..just my immature nature to want the newest and latest. Axe Edit would be great and/or firmware update.

the countdown is for the timer built into all the current axe-fx models which switches from:

1 = sounds awesome, to...
0 = sounds pretty good, but not as good as the new thing

it's a very clever device in that it doesn't actually physically exist within the axe-fx itself but derives its function from the subconscious insecurities found in all G.A.S. fearing guitar players...

I don't know how awaited a new axe-edit version is. But I think these "countdowns" would be too much for such thing. Would the g66 page need a countdown for a new axe-edit?

The g66 having a cowntdown refering to how the axe-fx came about, is making me think that this is a new product.. but there are many possibilities to guess... I guess

I don't know how awaited a new axe-edit version is. But I think these "countdowns" would be too much for such thing. Would the g66 page need a countdown for a new axe-edit?

The g66 having a cowntdown refering to how the axe-fx came about, is making me think that this is a new product.. but there are many possibilities to guess... I guess

+1

I'm hoping it's the new Axe Edit, but even if it were a new product release, I hope they continue the developent of Axe Edit. I've barely scratched the surface of what the Standard can do. The Standard will do me for some time, but I enjoy seeing new equipment releases just the same.

I think there was the same kind of countdown when the foot controller came out last year.

OK, given that Cliff has suggested "none of the above" should be added to the poll that included most of what folks are guessing, and give that Cliff has posted on a guy's facebook page where he was complaining about not being able to get an ULTRA, the words, "Save your dough!", we must become more imaginative!

Here's my most crazy guess -

A miniaturized ultra that can be installed into a guitar, like a pre-amp!

The ADSP-TS203S came out in 2004, right? It is hard to believe there hasn't been a significant new product introduction in this space since then, but I don't recall seeing anything. Anyone else more up-to-date than I am?

It is hard to believe there hasn't been a significant new product introduction in this space since then, but I don't recall seeing anything. Anyone else more up-to-date than I am?

Well,... there isn't a new product from Analog Devices ;)
By the way... I read that the Ultra comes with a 600MHz and more Memory... the TS203S only offers 500 MHz and 4MB DRAM.
I guess the Ultra isn't using the TS203S but the TS201 (yeah, even though the number is smaller the processor is more powerful) - it can be clocked up to 600MHz and has 24MB DRAM.

The HD's SHARC got 2MB of SRAM and can be clocked up to 400 MHz. But there is also a "smaller" tigherSHARC - the TS101 with 300MHz and 6MB DRAM - maybe a new Axe with one of those smaller (tigher)SHARCs?

For those interested:
SHARC Processors | Processors and DSP | Analog Devices
TigerSHARC Processors | Processors and DSP | Analog Devices

The Blackfin and SigmaDSP is too slow.

All I will say is it won't be a letdown...

Anyone seen this?

The Gear Page - View Single Post - Fractal News Countdown

I read that yesterday. After some thought I came to the same conclusion as another respondent did, that whatever this is will benefit existing Axe-FX customers in some way.

Starting a countdown and building suspense with the existing customer base, seeing the Axe-FX models unavailable through Fractal's purchase site, and reading Cliff's statement saying that "...it won't be a letdown..." has me thinking that a firmware release sporting more than just a few new amp models may well be part of what is to happen 8 days from now.

I would think that a new Axe-FX model with improved modeling algorithms or other improvements over the existing Standard/Ultra models would be a letdown to many new and recent Axe-FX customers. The introduction of a stripped-down modeler sporting some of what the Axe-FX offers would almost certainly be a letdown to the existing customer base after intentionally building all this suspense with the countdown. I agree with some who have stated that a software Axe-FX plugin would undercut hardware sales and piracy would limit software sales as well. A software version of the Axe-FX would also be a bit of a letdown for existing customers waiting in anticipation to see what's waiting at the end of the countdown. I also doubt that another amplification offering wouldn't be worthy of the suspense building as Fractal already offers one of the most popular amplification solutions for the Axe-FX. Finally, I would think that a floorboard model might cut into MFC sales and, again may well be a bit of a letdown to the existing customer base after the suspense building through the countdown.

If Cliff had started this countdown somewhere else on the internet - say the 'Digital Modeling' section of The Gear Page forums - I'd me more inclined to believe that a new and improved Axe-FX model or a stripped-down, lower priced Axe-FX product release was imminent. Starting a countdown for a new Axe-FX model here on the Fractal Audio forum where the existing Axe-FX customer base is would result in a bit of a letdown I would think. Most members here aren't looking for a new product. Rather folks are here to discuss the Fractal products they already own. I doubt that a new product would be something that most here would get excited about following ten days of suspense. A suspense-building countdown for a new product would definitely play out better on other forums where new potential customers are discussing modeling products - especially for a new product at a lower price point.

We'll know in 8 days. :)

^^ 110%. Why build hype about a new product in a forum full of people that already have your product and don't want a new one... It has to be something for existing axe fx owners.

Deaj, great post!

My next guess: An amp head (tube power section) with a 19" rack slot to put the Axe FX in.

EDIT: mba was quicker.

If this is that, and if you can get exactly the same power and functionnalities than with the standard or the Ultra....WOooooooOW
(i bet for an integrated solution with # poweramp sections)

You will be able to choose the poweramp of the head with a classic cab or the poweramp of the atomic. The atomic is build first for rack versions IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom