Could you help me in mimicing the infinite guitar (sustain)?

MikEdge

May I ask all you toneshapers whether Axe-FX can be made to mimic the "infinite guitar" as heard for example on With or Without You by U2? I know that Edge uses the Infinite Guitar or Fernandes guitars to create the sound. However, I don't want to install a sustainer into my Stratocaster and I find using an e-bow clumsy. Before I got my Axe-FX I had been using Digitech GNX4 and I made the patch whose demo you can find here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jyn2nztzzk3/infinity.mp3

Here's what I do in the demo:

- first it's just a few notes to see how the auto-swell gate behaves

- at 0:40 the play with the "infinite sustain" (IS) begins, it's much better with a stronger pickups that have better sustain/compression - at 0:40 you can hear what a weaker pickup (SCN) does - the delay is too noticeable and it doesn't sound any good, at 0:50 I use a hot-rail type pickup instead (stronger with more compressed output) - and it sounds more true, so I would suggest using a humbucker; it's very important for the volume to be even during the first cycle of the delay when I engage the footswitch, if it is, it doesn't "pulsate"

- at 1:02 the demonstration of multiple harmony begins - you can very easily play a chord on one string - it's a least 8 different notes held

- at 1:57 I try to imitate the notes played on WOWY

I know it doesn't sound too natural, but it's enough for my needs. If anyone can make something similar with Axe-FX and share the patch, it would not make my day, it would make my year.

Here are the settings I used on the GNX4:
GNX4 uses a pre-set order of effects. In the brackets, next to the actual value is the maximum value of the given parameter so that you can see the range of the parameter:

0) the amp/cab sim is not where gnx4 shines, the interesting thing is that it's pretty overdriven so that the signal is strong:
Amp - British Combo - Gain 99 - Level 60 ; Cab sim - British 2x12

1) EQ (that's not important anyway) - Mid 550 Hz - -12dB

2) COMPRESSOR - helping to keep the volume even during the onset
Attack: Fast (the fastest value of three)
Ratio: 2:1
Threshold: 40 (99)
Gain: 20dB (20)

3) NOISE GATE - absolutely eesential since it eliminates the attack which would otherwise be repeated by the delay infinitely
type: PLUCK (= auto-swell)
Threshold 88 (99)
Attack 9 (9)
Sensitivity 80 (99)

4) VIBRATO - masking the delay cycles and fattening the tone
Speed: 39 (99)
Depth: 2 (99)
Waveform: Sine

5) DELAY - the most important of all, there is a momentary footswitch that changes the delay feedback and level

a) the switch not active:
Type: Spread
Time: 815 ms
Delay Duck Threshold: 8 (98)
Delay Duck Attenutaion: 20 (99)
Delay Spread: 37 ms (50)
Delay Level: 0 (99)

b) the switch active:
Level: 99

6) REVERB - very heavy reverb, actually wet signal only, it "smudges" the tone and makes it smoother:
Type: Church
Predelay: 15 (15)
Decay: 99 (99)
Damping: 0 (99)
Balance: Center
Level: 99 (99)

Using the footswitch needs some practice since it has to be pressed at the certain moment after the note attack, not too early, not too late, ideally around 800 ms after the attack of the note It also works if I press the switch before playing the note (it works obviously for the first note only). When the footswitch gets pressed too late, when the note starts dying out, the sound become pulsating.

I would love to recreate this with Axe-FX but I'm absolutely lost in its tweaking depths.
Actually, I found a factory patch somwhere at the end of the preset list (bank C) called Ganymede which sounds very useable, however I don't know how to make the notes "stuck". That one is really close to sounding the desirable way...

Could anyone give me a hand, please?

MikEdge said:
...I don't want to install a sustainer into my Stratocaster and I find using an e-bow clumsy....
You could always use a Sustainiac Model C (http://sustainiac.com/model-c.htm). That doesn't need to be installed in a guitar.
You can attach it temporarily to any guitar you have.
I got one.
It rocks :)

I don't know the Axe well enough to make any suggestions on how to get the tone otherwise, sorry.
And because the Sustainiac actually send vibrations into the guitar, I sincerely doubt the Axe could do anything quite like it.

javajunkie said:
I remember you trying to get that a while back. After Christmas I'll give it a shot.
Thank you so much in advance for giving it a try. I can't imagine Axe-FX couln't do that when GNX4 can. Wish I could program the Axe better.

WKG said:
I believe he actually used an ebow on that one.
Who? Edge? He used the Infinite Guitar - you can read it in the booklet or see it live.
Or me? I used only a GNX4, no e-bow. The strings were not kept vibrating! How would you do the multiple harmony with an ebow?

Yes, Infinite guitar initially, but he used an Ebow for the ZooTV tour (Ebow with LP custom for Sydney at least), and then after that various Fernandes guitars with inbuilt sustainers.

fearlessflier said:
+1 on wanting to get this sound. I've only just received my AxeFX and would love to play "Heroes" by Bowie.
So you have to buy an EBow...

For Heroes take a look at "freddie Mercury Tribute" DVD: there's a wonderful caption of the ebow in action....

Hmmm - I saw Adrian Belew play it with a local Aussie singer on RockWiz (TV quiz show featuring top musicians). Sounded great, but no eBow!

Back
Top Bottom