Could I replace the MFC connector myself?

jasonwb007

Inspired
Hi all,

Just wondering...since I am an EE and competent at this, if I were to purchase the proper connectors, could I replace the connector for the MFC pedal myself to upgrade to the new cable? FAS guys, did you have to re-layout the PCB to get this new connector to fit or is it a drop-in replacement?

What about the MFC itself?

Thanks,

Jason

Yes, you are correct. Is that what FAS did to upgrade the units or can you get a version of the Ethercon that fits directly into the board? Would anyone from FAS care to comment?

Yes, you are correct. Is that what FAS did to upgrade the units or can you get a version of the Ethercon that fits directly into the board? Would anyone from FAS care to comment?

Yes it's possible, search the forum, there's a thread on this with instructions and images. You will of course invalidate your warranty with FAS.

Personally, invalidating my warranty is not worth it. When putting an adapter box on my pedal board is quicker, safer, and will keep my warranty.

Should we be concerned that the connectors are board-mounted? Used to hang with a guy that believed that was not as rugged. MFC seems like a tank to me, but...

When I did the mod for the MFC, I had bought the MFC second hand and so was not concerned with invalidating my warranty. I just needed this to be rugged and idiot proof. Board mounted connectors are usually not a problem unless badly treated. I consider any floor unit susceptible to bad treatment.
The Link above shows how to mount a connector to the chassis and wire it to the board with a flexible cable. Even in the unlikely event of a warping of the chassis, the connector will continue to operate.
But I noticed that the MarkII connector is also properly secured to the chassis. Even if PCB mounted, that should offer a very good protection against heavy boots.

Back
Top Bottom