Could an FX8 be used to control the III (limited control) ?

dschaaf

Experienced
Just wondering if an FX8 could be used to control many aspects of the III. I know it would be somewhat limited functionality as compared to the new foot controllers coming out but it also would serve a dual purpose for use with other amps as well.

Only really trying to control:

1. Scenes
2. toggle FX on and off
3. change presets
4. control looper

Thanks,
D

Not really designed for full on midi controller purposes. You use midi blocks - like a drive block or delay block that can be turned off and on. The off and on states will send a PC and/or CC command. Something like the Morningstar MC6 or the RJM Mastemind Lite would be better midi controllers for the III. Can do all that you listed. The line6 HX FX is more like what you have in mind. It’s a stand-alone midi controller but also can be used as a full fledged multi-fx

Hi Guys (thanks for your reply RalphNYC)
I just have a line on a good deal on a local FX8 and am wanting to get a bit more clarification as to the midi functionality for use with the Axe FX III.

1.Can the 8 foot-switches be used to toggle on/off 8 effects?
2.Can I change presets and /or scenes?
3. can I access the looper?
4. can I access the tuner?

Thanks,
Derek

1. Yes
2. I used mine to change scenes on the II for a while.
3. On the FX8 yes, on the III I don't think so
4. Same as 3

You could run 4cm with the two devices and that might give you the most flexibility, but you'd be limiting what the 3 is really capable of with a better controller.

I use my Fx8 to Control my Axe 3
Change presets, Scenes, Channels, Toggel effects on and off, Tuner and Looper,
Every thing work fine,
Only one problem, with the Looper,
When you push Record on the Fx8,
There is some latency,
To solve it, you can set the threshold on Looper block, to start automatic when you play your guitar

Every thing work fine,
There is some latency,
To solve it, you can set the threshold on Looper block, to start automatic when you play your guitar
Excellent, thanks very much!!

Every thing work fine,
There is some latency,
Hi Shorek,

Thanks for your feedback. I just received my FX8 (running 5.04) and I am trying to simply program the 8 footswitches in Preset #1/Scene #1 to toggle on/off the 8 effects that I have in the Axe III. For instance I have a comp, drive, wah, phaser, flanger, rotary, delay & rev and I have assigned the Axe III's cc's to 11-18. Is it possible to assign these 8 cc's to the 8 footswitches or am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks,
Derek

Hi, I learn it from Chris, he and Leon Todd are amazing, and in two weeks that I have the Axe iii, I've learned so much!!!!
First, go to Setup, Midi/Remote, General, Then go to Effect Bypass Mode, and change it to Toggel. Now go to Bypass page and put your cc numbers like you did I guess, Now on your Fx8, on every scene, put a cc number and don't forget to turn off PC number, and store it,
Another thing I did on the FX8 is going to Fx8 Setup, Global, Display Large Preset, and put it on Always,
then write in short what ever you like, so you'll know what is inside.

Last edited:
Hi, I learn it from Chris, he and Leon Todd are amazing, and in two weeks that I have the Axe iii, I've learned so much!!!!
First, go to Setup, Midi/Remote, General, Then go to Effect Bypass Mode, and change it to Toggel. Now go to Bypass page and put your cc numbers like you did I guess, Now on your Fx8, on every scene, put a cc number and don't forget to turn off PC number, and store it,
Another thing I did on the FX8 is going to Fx8 Setup, Global, Display Large Preset, and put it on Always,
then write in short what ever you like, so you'll know what is inside.
Excellent, thank you!

Hi, Can anyone share a preset for the FX8 that has some of the midi functionality described above. I have been able to configure the (2) midi blocks to toggle on/off 2 effects each (1 x and 1 y) but that is about it....haven't been able to change scenes & presets etc.

Thanks very much!

D

I'm having trouble figuring out the exact steps to use the FX-8 to control the Axe-FX III or how to properly cable it. I had been running the FX-8 in 4CM mode going out to a Mesa Boogie JP-2C which is MIDI. I had been running the 4CM in addition to a MIDI OUT from the FX-8 going to the MIDI IN on the JP-2C. It seems like I'm going to have to use both the INs and OUTs between the FX-8 and the Axe-FX III to get them to interface correctly. Can I just insert the JP-2C into the chain using it's INs and OUTs so that I can have it switch channel on the amp?

I'm having trouble figuring out the exact steps to use the FX-8 to control the Axe-FX III or how to properly cable it. I had been running the FX-8 in 4CM mode going out to a Mesa Boogie JP-2C which is MIDI. I had been running the 4CM in addition to a MIDI OUT from the FX-8 going to the MIDI IN on the JP-2C. It seems like I'm going to have to use both the INs and OUTs between the FX-8 and the Axe-FX III to get them to interface correctly. Can I just insert the JP-2C into the chain using it's INs and OUTs so that I can have it switch channel on the amp?

Only two MIDI cable are necessary:

Back
Top Bottom