"Correct" EQing techniques

You're talking to an audio engineer. ;) But sure... there are different schools to this. Personally I think guitarists are picky with their tone so if I do something drastic I'm trying to make their music sound like my music which is not the professional way of mixing. You don't have to put a finger print on everything. And the thing with "perfect" is that there is no such thing. The beauty is in the "flaws" IMO. :) Like f.ex. every successful actor has a nose that looks like it's been broken a dozen times. That's what makes them stand out. :lol But talking about that would take us off topic.

There is no "correct" EQing technique but if you want to know how it's being taught then 3dB is good general maximum rule for both EQ and compression. Remember that 3dB is double volume. DOUBLE! When you boost over that I would say that there is a bigger problem somewhere else. :) Low cut and high cut are always okay.

The guitar itself may have 'boomier' frequencies at different points on the fretboard. One of my guitars has this issue between the 11th and 12th frets of the low E string at around 130-180 Hz. After playing clean and determining the problematic fret(s), pre-amplifier subtractive EQ often makes further post-amp EQ unnecessary in my own case.

As for shrillness, lower treble and higher presence is something i often found useful.

Back
Top Bottom