CORNFED M50 (Cornford MK50 II), what an amp model!

which ir you guys prefer with cornford..?
Funny, I hadn't really thought about it. I have a range of Cabs with favorite stock IR's that suit Marshall-type amps -- which is how I look at large number of amps. They range from darker Greenback pulsonic 55 hz to Celestion Alnico creamback to EV12L's and JBL D120's (Zappa.) They are all 4x12, but that is just my habit. I should experiment more with 2x12 and others. I will try to put a list together over the next few days. Typically, I will have a couple cab blocks with 4 different channel choices each -- I suppose they could be organized by type of sound. I just try each Cab block channel until something suits me for the particular amp, song, mood, amount of clean or dirty. I haven't found an all-time, every-time, favorite yet.

Habuman turned me on to this combination:

Legacy 189 - 4x12 G12M Creamback mix CEL(Celestion)
Factory2 947 - 4x12 Trad V60 57 OH

"I like to combine them -- but mix the V30 a little quieter than the G12M."

189 — 4x12 G12M CREAMBACK MIX (CEL)
Celestion's G12M Creamback speaker in a 4x12 cabinet, UltraRes
Source: Celestion IR

947 — 4x12 TRAD V60 57 OH — OwnHammer
2001 Mesa Boogie Standard slanted 4x12 cabinet with 60W V30 speakers.
Source: OwnHammer 412 MES-ST V60

It works in a lot of situations -- just dial the V60 volume to taste.
Remember to align the IR's.
I like using UltraRes
I like more complex, dynamic sounds
Also, commonly, 2 IR's,
will sound better with one IR at a lower volume.

I have been liking these two old classic GB pulsonic 55Hz speakers:

based on a ’71 Orange 4x12“ guitar cabinet,
loaded with Celestion G12H30 "pulsonic cone" speaker from 1971
Based on a rare 1971 oversized Orange 4x12 cab with G12H 55 speakers 308-311

310 — 4x12 Citrus '71 SM7 A2b VH — Valhallir.at

Pin1968: Marshall 1960 "Pinstripe" from 1965, Versatile, super rare & vintage
loaded with Celestion G12M (20 Watt Pre-Rola "pulsonic cone") speaker from 1968.

515 — 4x12 Brit 68 Pinstrp VR1 D2 VH — Valhallir.at AKGTM C414

They are very vocal, and very classic- but darker - maybe not the best for mixes or bands.
I tend to drop with the volume on the 515 Pinstripe cab.

While I like the complexity of two IR's at once
There is more definition from a single IR.
Even after carefully aligning the IR's.

Having said that, try everything you can.
These are very good IR's.
And, they are available in the FM3.
But, everything keeps moving forward very quickly.
I am just beginning to scratch the surface.
I haven't even touched mixed IR's, synthetic IR's, and who knows what else.

For stock IR's I have been sorting through this:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

After experimenting more with the stock IR's
I will have a better idea of what types of IR's I might want to purchase

I am always very open to any thoughts and ideas.

Funny, I hadn't really thought about it. I have a range of Cabs with favorite stock IR's that suit Marshall-type amps -- which is how I look at large number of amps. They range from darker Greenback pulsonic 55 hz to Celestion Alnico creamback to EV12L's and JBL D120's (Zappa.) They are all 4x12, but that is just my habit. I should experiment more with 2x12 and others. I will try to put a list together over the next few days. Typically, I will have a couple cab blocks with 4 different channel choices each -- I suppose they could be organized by type of sound. I just try each Cab block channel until something suits me for the particular amp, song, mood, amount of clean or dirty. I haven't found an all-time, every-time, favorite yet.

I like using UltraRes
Also, commonly, 2 IR's,

loaded with Celestion G12M (20 Watt Pre-Rola "pulsonic cone") speaker from 1968.

They are very vocal, and very classic- but darker - maybe not the best for mixes or bands.

Excellent info!!!!

I like using UltraRes
Also, commonly, 2 IR's,

I worked a 4 scene Cornfed preset today. Sounding good. Used the 1st cab combo you listed the 189 and 947. Aligned them and mixed down as suggested. I like it. Playing tomorrow with my band where I can turn it up and see what I have. Also used this combo on a couple scenes in my Dirty Shirley preset. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

I remember a buddy having that amp and I wasn’t that keen on the midrange, sounded kinda honky, like a plexi with enough tweaks to make it sound original.

When I got the Axe I found the same thing to be true. But I messed around a bit and threw a pedal up front to get a killer hard rock tone. I used that for my hard rock sound for a long time. Now I actually prefer the caswell #34 for the same sound, with no pedals.

Well I brought my FM3 rig to practice today. 1st time without also bringing my tube amp rig. Spent almost the whole day on the Cornford preset. Sounded good and the guys all liked it. Tried my Shirley too but went back to the Cornford. With drives and 4 scenes of low to high gain I was able to find a tone for every song. I’m pretty happy right now.

I liked that profile on my Kemper when I was using one, one particularly good profile, used it frequently. Now I gotta check it out on my FM3. Hmmm just bought ABs Live Gold pack a few weeks back, wonder if there a preset using it in there, think I'll go check...

I liked that profile on my Kemper when I was using one, one particularly good profile, used it frequently. Now I gotta check it out on my FM3. Hmmm just bought ABs Live Gold pack a few weeks back, wonder if there a preset using it in there, think I'll go check...

Are you talking about the klon boosted one? That was a fantastic profile. FM3 is right there, you just need to use a TS boost or mess with the input EQ to cut the lows and boost the mids a bit. It's a great model.

How you running it for best case scenario? Meaning settings roughly?
Hit it with a mid-forward boost (FAS or TS-style), cut the bass to taste and adjust the overdrive to about 15-20% more than the input gain. Master volume to taste between 4 & 7. Plays nicely with Marshall and Mesa IRs. One of the punchiest high/mid gain amp in the unit. Ferocious while also maintaining articulation.

Hit it with a mid-forward boost (FAS or TS-style), cut the bass to taste and adjust the overdrive to about 15-20% more than the input gain. Master volume to taste between 4 & 7. Plays nicely with Marshall and Mesa IRs. One of the punchiest high/mid gain amp in the unit. Ferocious while also maintaining articulation.
This. You can also get cool results by using these or similar settings and turning the variac down to 70-80%, a trick I picked up from @dr bonkers.

This is one of those amps I fell in love with for awhile and then moved on. This was early on in my FAS experience and I’ve learned a lot since then. I screwed around with it for a couple hours this evening. Yeah it’s a great amp model. Right now I’m on the AC20, the 6CA7 and some other Plexi models. I’ll put the Cornford back into rotation. The FAS modeling is very good. I am playing more than I ever have just because it sounds great, and there so many options available. It’s inspiring.

It use to be my main amp of choice years ago. But as we can with Fractal, drifted elsewhere. I will have to try your tips. I completely forget how I ran mine when in use. The Supremo and EVH 3 red amp is my current favs.

I go back and forth between the Cornfed and the USA Mid Gain for my high gain tones. They both do the job well, but the unique quality of the Cornfed is the low end punch it has. If you play hard rock tunes, it really sticks out because of that percussive quality. Straddles the line between Boogie and modded Marshall beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom