Copy Output 1 to Output 2 does not work

I've been an Ultra user from July 2007 and done a ton of programming on the Ultra - I think that I know this box very well. However I recently tried to use the output 2 1/4" outs and cannot get any signal to appear there unless I put the fx loop into my signal chain. I really don't want to have to add that to all my patchs. Even with the "Copy output 1 to Output 2" setting engaged it still does not work without the fx send in my signal path.
I actually have 2 Ultras and it is the same behavior on both units. :?:
Am I missing something here?

Did you turn up the Output 2 knob (on the Axe-FX front panel)?

If you go "Doh!!!", don't be too embarassed... I did it too, at one point, as did many other folks as well...

FXL must be used to get something out of Output2! It won't work otherwise.

Alternatively, enable Copy Out1 to Out2 but in that case the grid should NOT contain a FXL block.

Yeah - I did check the out 2 volume knob - that is an easy oversight to make I agree.

I have been using the level meters on the I/O section to monitor the signal so I am certain that out 2 is not being fed any signal.

I am using FXL returns to Input 2 on most of my patches since I run a GTR synth that I mix with my guitar sound.

I have used the " Copy out 1 to out 2" but it simply does not work.

I suppose that I can work around by tapping a signal off and running it into an EFX Send.

The user manual seems to imply that all you have to do is enable "copy output 1 to output 2" in order to take advantage of the additional outputs.
I think this is a design oversight - I hope Cliff can make output 2 a more fully functional output source on a later firmware update.
Thanks for the comments guys! This is a terrific forum ;)

Six String Symphony said:
Yeah - I did check the out 2 volume knob - that is an easy oversight to make I agree.

I have been using the level meters on the I/O section to monitor the signal so I am certain that out 2 is not being fed any signal.

I am using FXL returns to Input 2 on most of my patches since I run a GTR synth that I mix with my guitar sound.

I have used the " Copy out 1 to out 2" but it simply does not work.

I suppose that I can work around by tapping a signal off and running it into an EFX Send.

The user manual seems to imply that all you have to do is enable "copy output 1 to output 2" in order to take advantage of the additional outputs.
I think this is a design oversight - I hope Cliff can make output 2 a more fully functional output source on a later firmware update.
Thanks for the comments guys! This is a terrific forum ;)

I think right now it may not be possible to uses both copy output2 and the fx-loop at the same time. I have not tried this but someone else mentions the same thing.

From the release notes (5.16):
Added “Copy Out1 to Out2” feature. This parameter is located in the I/O->Audio menu. When set to ON the data at the main outputs (Output1) is copied to Output2 if the effects loop is not in use. The data at Output2 is affected by the Output2 Global EQ but not the Output1 Global EQ. This allows easily configuring a separate stage monitor and FOH send. Use Output1 to FOH and Output2 to stage monitor. If the effects loop is in use this parameter is ignored.

AlbertA said:
From the release notes (5.16):
Added “Copy Out1 to Out2” feature. This parameter is located in the I/O->Audio menu. When set to ON the data at the main outputs (Output1) is copied to Output2 if the effects loop is not in use. The data at Output2 is affected by the Output2 Global EQ but not the Output1 Global EQ. This allows easily configuring a separate stage monitor and FOH send. Use Output1 to FOH and Output2 to stage monitor. If the effects loop is in use this parameter is ignored.

That is pretty clear ;)

Well - clearly I should be referencing the release notes instead of reading the manual...Doh!!
I did miss that detail about the FXL causing the "Copy" function to be ignored.
Man - with all the updates it is a lot info to keep track of.
I at this point I will just go and add a FXL Send to all my patches and give it a try - at least their is a workaround. :)

Well - I take that back - there is not a work around...
I can see why Cliff set it up this way -to prevent a feed back loop.
However in a set up such as mine where input 2 is a source NOT being fed a signal from the Axe there is no possibility for a feedback loop.
This does limit the flexibility of the output 2 for more sophisticated routings. :(

You are right!
I did have to run a tap from my guitar signal path into the SND block and then both the synth and the guitar signals were present at output 2 and eq-able via the output 2 eq.
Perfect!
It is not exactly a straight forward means to an end but certainly works.
Now I off t ad that string on blocks to 15 other patchs.
:cool:

Thank you kindly for the tip Bakerman!

Back
Top Bottom