Coolest Accessory for the Axe-FX

After seeing a post here of a custom patch panel, I worked with Chris Stubbs at Redco Audio, to have them build this for me (about $280, completely wired and shipped):

Axe-FXPanel.jpg

The MIDI input is a 7-pin jack.

ekewaka said:
After seeing a post here of a custom patch panel, I worked with Chris Stubbs at Redco Audio, to have them build this for me (about $280, completely wired and shipped):

Axe-FXPanel.jpg

That is bitchin´ :shock:

It´s very close to what I intend to make, once I rack the Ultra with a Metric Halo ULN-2. I don´t need the Furman so it should still be 4 units.

I thought about making my own but I don't have the tools, and having someone else just drill out the faceplate was ridiculously expensive. I was really tiring have having all my cords stored in the back of the rack case. Now I just have two power cables coming out the back. Once I get a cable-powered MIDI controller, I will only have one come out the back. If I could only figure out how to power it all without a cable! :lol:

Stilwel did the most polished work of those rack interface units. Unfortunately he stopped doing them when I was ready.

ekewaka said:

Axe-FXPanel.jpg

Is the INSTR jack connected to the rear inputs? Mono/L or TRS to both L & R?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UNi1/

I used one of these. with connectors, wire and jacks, came to about $100.
Mine was mounted on the rear rails, included data/internet connector (i used to have a netbook in my rack to run Lar's editor)
I found that i just don't want to carry that stuff anymore. Too heavy- and i don't use the editor at all anymore.
I am back down to a very simple rig and loving it.

GM Arts said:
I'll try to remember to take pics when I install the headphone amp. For now, the front panel is ... blank - hardly worth a picture, really :lol: Back panel is a little more interesting.
ok, as promised/threatened, here are some pics.

It's a single rack that has a jack socket on the front panel for headphones. This photo is from the back with the lid off. I've just put in the headphone amp, power supply and transformer. Still to wire it all up and install the op-amp (it's finished now - works a treat).
[attachment=1:f2dppz1p]interface.jpg[/attachment:f2dppz1p]

Here's a diagram of how it all connects. For live work, there are 6 cables to connect (excluding FOH and headphones). For private home use, it's just power, guitar and headphones.
[attachment=0:f2dppz1p]connections.gif[/attachment:f2dppz1p]

Bumping this as I recently had a nice patchbay made by Campfield Recorders and Sound. Nicely made, has a support bar for all of the cables, and it was under $300.
campfield.jpg

It has four dual XLR/1/4" jacks, 5-pin MIDI, 7-pin MIDI, USB, Firewire, and Ethernet throughs (my Looperlative updates through Ethernet, and the other jacks were to futureproof the patchbay), two Speakon jacks, and two TRS jacks.

The way I have it set up now is one of the TRS jacks acts as an in from my bass to my pedals, and the other an out from my pedals to my Axe-FX. Two of the XLR jacks are outs from my Looperlative to record from, and the other two are connected to the balanced outs on the Axe if I want to record just the Axe without the Looperlative. Here's a pic of it as it's being used currently:
campfield2.jpg

Very handy.

Wow... definitely some great looking stuff here... I would probably put the patch-bay under the Axe-fx so I could actually "see" it... ;)

Axe-FXPanel.jpg

This one just plain rocks! One question... why does the midi-in have a different plate? And why is separate from the others?

Wow... definitely some great looking stuff here... I would probably put the patch-bay under the Axe-fx so I could actually "see" it... ;)

I actually can't see the Axe unless I'm very close anyways- I'm legally blind,, so it makes no difference for me visually. I put it above so that the cables would be easier to access- both the patchbay and the Tripp Lite are the same length. The Axe is quite a bit longer, so reaching my arm in the small space under the Axe is less convenient than putting it above where there's more room.

Anybody ever use powercon connectors in a patch panel? I'd like to have one similar to ekewaka except with the following connectors/features:

Stereo monitor level [Mix Out 2 L&R w/Monitor in L&R (or any combination)]
Out 1 Left (XLR)
Out 1 Right (XLR)
Out 2 Left (1/4")
Out 2 Right (1/4")
Monitor in Left (1/4")
Monitor in Right (1/4") [Possibly optional]
MFC-101 In (7 Pin MIDI) [custom wired to modified midi merger]
AES Out
SPDIF in
SPDIF out
USB Out
Power In (Powercon) [To wall AC]
Power Out 1 (Powercon) [Monitor L]
Power Out 2 (Powercon) [Monitor R]
Power Out 3 (Powercon) [Computer/Accessory]

I want to use a 3U rack and have the ability to just pop the front lid off, patch everything, and not have to worry about rooting around in the back for anything. Additionally, I want to have the single stereo pot to mix monitor send from the FOH board with my monitor(s). Powercon, custom midi wiring, and mixer pot are the biggest concerns I think. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Wow!!! That rocks!!! My only gripe would be that the XLR's in the front being a bit crooked (especially the one next to the "Midi In" would bug the shit out of me... how much did he charge you for this bad boy?

Hey Mo... So here we meet again........ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Peace Braddah :)
Mo/V.

This one just plain rocks! One question... why does the midi-in have a different plate? And why is separate from the others?

If you can find a MIDI connector in that style, let me know!

My one of these panels (which I never bothered finishing :lol) has that same style of MIDI connector as above. To mount it in the same holes, from memory I had to drill out a blanking plate and mount it on to that. Looks ugly as shit. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom