Coolest Accessory for the Axe-FX

MKeditor

Experienced
I got tired of having to get out a flashlight every time I wanted to plug in the editor. Also I wanted to have my mic cables going to the FBTs in front of the rack....and since I was on a roll.....I decided I wanted a 3.5 stereo jack for my phone to play MP3s through the system.

I had Dave Phillips from LA Sound Design build it for me.

mk_rack_interface_front.jpg

mk_rack_interface_rear.jpg

MK_axe_rack2009a.jpg

I had two custom made 7-pin midi cables made. One is 18" to go between the gizmo and the interface....and a six footer from the front of rack to the LF Pro. Of course I had the "midi in" connection be 7-pin as well. This way, the phantom power is maintained.

The XLRs in front are wired to 1/4 jacks in the rear. This allows me to use OUTPUT 2 on the Axe-FX for my FBTs. The 3.5mm is stereo which goes to two 1/4 jacks that are routed to my mixer.

mk_rack_interface_front2.jpg

As a result, the rack is much cleaner with the cables organized this way. Also setting up or switching to the editor is much, much easier. The half space interface is a great compliment to the half space mixer.

Enjoy!

brettllingle said:
What do you use the System Mix for? Doesn't the Axe have the capability to do that?

The System Mix allows me to add a line level from the monitor board which allows me to hear the band through the FBTs. No need for separate monitors. The band....or MP3....is in mix one. The Axe-FX is mix two. Since switching to this set up, I hear the band better than ever.

Wow!!! That rocks!!! My only gripe would be that the XLR's in the front being a bit crooked (especially the one next to the "Midi In" would bug the shit out of me... how much did he charge you for this bad boy?

They are a bit crooked....but this photo is exaggerating it. In person it is slight. They are a little crooked because Dave built it with female XLRs by accident. I sent it back and he switched them to males...but the screw holes are just slightly different. I can live with that. Once the cables are plugged in, you will barely notice.

It cost $300.

MKeditor said:
I had Dave Friedman from LA Sound Design build it for me.

L.A. Sound Design is David Phillips AKA Rackdoctor on HRI.

Dave Friedman is Rack Systems AKA Racksystems on HRI.

So who built this for you?

mworkman said:
MKeditor said:

Sorry. David Phillips.

MKeditor said:
mworkman said:
MKeditor said:

Sorry. David Phillips.

David is a good guy. After the MFC-101 comes out and I have time to decide if I am going to keep my FX-1 or go with a LF or MFC and I going to go L.A. Sound Design and see if David can build this idea I had for a system interface.

I am not ready to "share" yet. It would be a combination of stuff that already exists but what I am hoping for is to get it all in one "package" and hopefully one rack space. Ideally I'd like to have an Axe-FX, a Liquid Tracks (when it comes out), integrated with the foot controller of my choice and a PC/laptop (not part of the rack) along with amps of my choice either the QSC I have now or the Atomic FRs as my rig. The piece that I am thinking about doing would help tie all those together.

Here it is in action:

mk_rack_interface_front2.jpg

As you can see that jack being a little crooked is very hard to detect with the cables connected. It has tidied up most of my cables. Now I just need to get some shorter AC cords for the FBTs.

MOTU Traveler

It takes the AES digital signal from the Axe with plenty of analog inputs too so I can loop in a dry signal for reamping.

It has plenty of outputs as well.

It has the necessary MIDI ports to hook up the trusty iMac ( runner up for coolest accessory )

It has a nifty mixer app.

Only hogs up one rack space.

Honorable mention to StroboSoft...

claudel said:
MOTU Traveler

It takes the AES digital signal from the Axe with plenty of analog inputs too so I can loop in a dry signal for reamping.

It has plenty of outputs as well.

It has the necessary MIDI ports to hook up the trusty iMac ( runner up for coolest accessory )

It has a nifty mixer app.

Only hogs up one rack space.

Honorable mention to StroboSoft...

The traveler doesn't have any outputs in front and has very little in common with the interface I had made.

Did you mean to post to this thread?

I did.

I didn't realize that it was for "Coolest Accessory for the Ace-FX with ports in the front only".

Sorry.

I have a single rack above my AxeFX which serves as a connection hub. It has a power supply inbuilt for my foot controller and of course the 7-pin connector. It passes MIDI and the 2 pedal controllers through to the AxeFX. It also has a power connector for my powered monitor.

Over the Christmas break project I built a headphone amplifier which I'll put in as well, permanently connected to the AxeFX.

All of this, headphone amp included, cost a LOT less than $300, but of course I don't charge myself for labour. :lol:

I'll try to remember to take pics when I install the headphone amp. For now, the front panel is ... blank - hardly worth a picture, really :lol: Back panel is a little more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom