Cool to leave AX8 turned on and switch on/off at wall?

Random Hero

Inspired
Well, specifically by switching my power supply on and off. I have my AX8 powered by the courtesy outlet on my power supply which is also powering my tuner.

Am I cool to just leave the AX8 on and use the main plug to turn it on and off or should I always switch it off on the unit itself? Hardly a big deal either way I know, but just curious really.

I believe I recall seeing one of the many engineering types here say it's better to switch the unit off. Don't recall why though.

I do it a lot. Power is power. As long as you remember to save any changes first if you made them. I rarely do panel changes during gig I need to save and when it’s time to tear down the plugs fly and the whole band just starts pulling all extension cords in sight out of wall! :confused:

I agree it don't seem to make any difference how you turn it off. One thing to keep in mind though, is after saving or making changes wait some time before powering off (I've heard 30 seconds is plenty). If you don't, it can trigger some factory reset of settings when you power it back on. Found this out the hard way right before a gig a few months ago.

I don't know, I think I'd use the switch. I always thought pulling the plug was worse if there was a switch available because the switch was helping to minimize electrical spikes.

I always thought pulling the plug was worse if there was a switch available because the switch was helping to minimize electrical spikes.
All a switch does is pull electrical contacts away from each other. That's the same thing that pulling the plug does.

All a switch does is pull electrical contacts away from each other. That's the same thing that pulling the plug does.
I want to caution that while this sounds true, it isn't actually always true. Different switches - and pulling plugs out of walls - have different behaviors in how the power is actually cut. It's not instant and "bouncing" can vary greatly, particularly on an AC circuit that will maintain current for a short time after the contacts have separated. Now the AX8 is robust and the current involved isn't large, but different methods of cutting power absolutely behave differently at a physical level.

Reactions: Rex
I want to caution that while this sounds true, it isn't actually always true. Different switches - and pulling plugs out of walls - have different behaviors in how the power is actually cut. It's not instant and "bouncing" can vary greatly, particularly on an AC circuit that will maintain current for a short time after the contacts have separated. Now the AX8 is robust and the current involved isn't large, but different methods of cutting power absolutely behave differently at a physical level.
Yes, there can be contact bounce. And if you're drawing kilowatts of power when you break the connection, you care about that. But as you say, the draw on the AX8 is small, and pulling the plug is effectively the same as throwing the switch.

Back
Top Bottom