converting patches from AXEfxII to ULTRA?

hem19

hi there!

i know that AXEfxII and the ULTRA are totally different beasts, and i heard somewhere that the only chance to convert patches between them is to install another version of AXeEDIT set for the AXEfxII to open the preset and copy the settings manually

have you tried this method? i wanted to ask before doing because i don't want to mess up my sound library!!

i'm aware that the amp section is very different, i'm mainly concerned about effect settings

thanks!!!

There's not much to mess up. If you duplicate a patch by hand and you don't like it, just delete it. Or tweak it until you like it.

If you don't want to run another instance of Axe-Edit, you can just open the program with your Ultra turned off. Then set it for the Axe II. Open an Axe II preset, write down the parameters, then turn on your Ultra, and set Axe-Edit for Ultra.

thank you!! i'll try to do that ASAP!! i really like the idea behind some preset but the main development area has moved onto the axeII so we ultra-people have to play catch-up!!

still my love for my axe grow!!!

thanks again!

hem19 ...

I pretty much use the technique described by Rex above, but I open two instances of Axe-Edit and set one instance's "Settings/Config" to the "II" and the other "Settings/Config" to the Ultra then start with a general "Bypass" preset and mirror as many of the II's elements as possible for a particular preset. If you dig deep into some of the Axe II presets (via Axe-Edit), you'll find quite a bit more control in many of the amp/cab/effects; and while some of the controls mirror the Ultra, some can be found in different areas of the settings for each, and still others simply are not in the Ultra. I've had pretty good luck with some of the more basic II presets using this technique, but I've also found that it does take some additional tweaking for many (adding PEQs, substituting amp/cab models and such), and it also takes a little bit of time and patience to make sure ALL the settings are as close as possible. From my experience thus far, the additional amps/cabs in the II makes recreating a number of the II's more complex presets nearly impossible. Ultimately, your ears will be the best judge of just how close you come to matching preset tones. The final solution is of course, to purchase the II ... Good luck.

thanks a lot, really
i was actually scared to do that because i'm very new to the axeFx and i'm working pretty hard to findo good sounds and effects,
so i didn't want to risk corruption for my effect database on the computer!!!

i know that most patches will sound different, but it's really useful to understand the dinamics of more "uncommon" effects and sounds
such as the moogs emulation and the synthish pads that you can pull out of this wonderful machine

thanks a lot for the tips, this forum is a wonderful place!!!

off to work (real work!! :( )

and thanks again!!!

There's not much risk at all.

As long as you have your sounds backed up (you do, right? :) ), then it doesn't matter what happens to them while you're messing around. You can always get them back.

Back
Top Bottom