Control Switch Help... please

Lee Servis

Inspired
Hello, I'm having an issue (not for the first time, due to my caveman style technophobia) with the Control Switch 'functionality'... and despite looking through the manual (and on YouTube) I can't seem to find a solution - though I'm certain, as always - it's simply down to my buffoonery.

I was following one of Leon Todd's many, many useful vids and decided to turn on the "fat" switch for Scenes 2 and 3, but NOT Scene 1. I clearly took a wrong turn somewhere because suddenly the "fat" switch is on all three Scenes and I can't, for the life of me, work out how to disable it on Scene 1. In my search for a solution I have come across a fair bit of material on how to use the Control Switches, but nothing on how to 'undo' my mistake.

I'm sure this is easily fixed, but I'm currently struggling to... so ANY help and assistance would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time and effort to respond. All the best. Lee

Settings are for the current channel of a block.
To have them different in different scenes, the block needs to be set to different channels in each scene.

Hello, I'm having an issue (not for the first time, due to my caveman style technophobia) with the Control Switch 'functionality'... and despite looking through the manual (and on YouTube) I can't seem to find a solution - though I'm certain, as always - it's simply down to my buffoonery.

I was following one of Leon Todd's many, many useful vids and decided to turn on the "fat" switch for Scenes 2 and 3, but NOT Scene 1. I clearly took a wrong turn somewhere because suddenly the "fat" switch is on all three Scenes and I can't, for the life of me, work out how to disable it on Scene 1. In my search for a solution I have come across a fair bit of material on how to use the Control Switches, but nothing on how to 'undo' my mistake.

I'm sure this is easily fixed, but I'm currently struggling to... so ANY help and assistance would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time and effort to respond. All the best. Lee
First things first. Do you want the Fat parameter to be turned on by scenes or by a Control Switch?

Thanks Dave and Rex.
So I'm using one amp just in Channel A, so wanted: Scene 1 - NO fat switch on; Scenes 2 and 3 - fat switch on.
Not sure where I went wrong, but suddenly the fat switch was "On' in Scene 1 and I struggled to switch it off... and couldn't see an obvious way to fix it. I fiddled around for a bit and think I finally cracked it by "Resetting" all the scenes/ control switches and started again and all seems to be working fine now.
I've only had the FM3 a couple of weeks, so it's been a bit of a learning curve. Lol.

Thanks both for taking the time to post and coming to my rescue.

Thanks Dave and Rex.
So I'm using one amp just in Channel A, so wanted: Scene 1 - NO fat switch on; Scenes 2 and 3 - fat switch on.
Not sure where I went wrong, but suddenly the fat switch was "On' in Scene 1 and I struggled to switch it off... and couldn't see an obvious way to fix it. I fiddled around for a bit and think I finally cracked it by "Resetting" all the scenes/ control switches and started again and all seems to be working fine now.
I've only had the FM3 a couple of weeks, so it's been a bit of a learning curve. Lol.

Thanks both for taking the time to post and coming to my rescue.
Block settings are almost all by CHANNEL, not by scene.
To use different settings for different scenes, first set the block to different channels in different scenes, so their settings are independent, THEN adjust the block's settings for each scene.

For example, say scene 1 is clean, 2 and 3 are edge of breakup, with delay added on 3.
You'd set the amp block for scene 1 to channel A, with drive low.
Amp block for scene 2 you'd set to channel B, and turn it up more.
Put the amp block for scene 3 on channel B too, so it's using the same settings as scene 1, then turn on delay for scene 3.

Bypass settings are always by scene, you don't have to do anything to turn that on, and in fact you can't turn that off.
Almost all other block settings are by channel, so you need to manage which channel each block is on to have them independent when you want, and shared with other scenes when you don't, like in that example.

You can cause exceptions to some of that, with control switches and scene controllers, but start with the default cases above first.
It's pretty straight-forward once you get the hang of it :)

If you have a parameter attached to a modifier (such as a control switch), you can’t switch it on and off by hand; you have to use the modifier it’s attached to.

If you want to turn Fat on and off based on scenes, you have a couple of choices. Either:

1) Set up different Amp block channels with Fat on and off, and select different channels with your scenes; or

2) Use a Scene Controller attached to the Fat parameter.

If you're assigning Control Switches to things. Go to Controllers upper left then CS Per Scene. The default behaviour is LAST. So if you turn on the Fat switch with a Control Switch(CS) assigned to it in Scene 2/3 and go back to Scene 1 it will be whatever the LAST state was.
In CS Per Scene choose Set all OFF. Then turn on the CS assigned to the Fat switch for the scenes you want it on.
FYI, while in Controllers take a look at Modifiers and you'll see a list of all modifier assignments. It will show what CS you have assigned to the Fat Switch and all other modifiers you may have set up.

Thanks all... as ever with this Fractal gear, there always seems more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.
I opted to attach a control switch to the “far” switch parameter, per each of the 3 scenes.
I clearly made some newbie/ school boy error at first and seemed to be stuck with the “fat” switch “on” in all 3 Scenes, when I only wanted it “On” for scenes 2 & 3. I eventually muddled my way through - I think I “reset” the 3 Scenes/ Control Switches and started from there.
Having said that, all of the above info and knowledge you have shared will no doubt tabs me in much better stead going forward, so thank you all so, so much for taking the time to respond to my plea for help... it is truly appreciated.
As for now.... PROBLEM SOLVED!

Back
Top Bottom