Control Scenes Using External Switch - Minus "Reveal"

So is it possible to have an external switch that includes led's to show which scene is currently active?

So is it possible to have an external switch that includes led's to show which scene is currently active?
That is possible and described in another thread (cannot recall witch one) and needs some extra electronics.
No in my situation The MFC display shows "Scene .." (or doesn't show it in my case)

Mine is the same - the external switches - when activated - do not show on the MFC display -and nothing saying what scene has been selected- would be good if it even just flashed up an "Extn Swtch 1" message or whatever ......

Please sticky this!

Thanks to Yek for his knowledge, and also THANKS to Warrior for the detailed step by step final setup instructions!!! :eagerness:

BTW my switches were set up 2143 on my new external switch box , and I had to switch the wirings as well...

And PLEASE- Scene numbers on the MFC screen using external switches- is it possible?

Last edited:
However switching a scene is only displayed in the Axe frontpanel, not in the MFC, is that correct?

Yes if you use dedicated switch for dedicated scene.
You should see for a second SCENE X on the MFC display and then back to the preset name.
If you use scene INCR/DECR than no, you don’t see any changes on the MFC display.
I use scenes a lot, 3 dedicated switches on the MFC for Scene 1, 2, 3, 4 and 2 switches on the EXT4MFC for Scene UP / Down.
Works perfect for me.

Theoretically yes if the external box has electronics and using a battery of course (makes the whole thing complex trying not to forget to OFF the unit after playing so the battery wont drain) but once you switched to another preset which starts @ scene 3 for example, the external switchbox will NOT show scene 3 LED ON as the MFC cannot "read" the status of the external switching, it cannot do that as the external switching is momentary switch.
Only after clicking once on any of the switches, only than the MFC can "see" it.

BTW my switches were set up 2143 on my new external switch box , and I had to switch the wirings as well...
You didn’t have to do the wiring change as you could simply let the Axe to "learn" the switch cc, end of story.
It could be any order, 1234, 4132, 3142 etc, doesn’t matter, you just hit ENTER on the Axe for the function you would like to assign a switch to, the Axe will "listen" to the switches, than hit the desired switch, the Axe will sense the cc and display it and that’s it.
Defining ext. switches can't be simple than that.

Thanks RoadRunner, but Im an old school geek and like my hardware (and wiring) in "order" :mrgreen

Oh and BTW- using the http://www.brightonion.co.uk/mfc-external-switch/ and setup above, you won't get the MFC display to change when you change scenes. The only place it does change (atm) is in the Axe FX II display.

Last edited:
Thanks RoadRunner, but Im an old school geek and like my hardware (and wiring) in "order"

Yea, I know what you mean, same "problem" here :lol

Oh and BTW- using the MFC External Switch - Bright Onion Pedals' Shop and setup above, you won't get the MFC display to change when you change scenes.

Well, with my EXT4MFC it does show Scene number but I don’t think it's because of the switch box type, it's more of the programing.
As mentioned above, if you use a dedicated switch for dedicated scene number, you will see for a second SCENE #X on the MFC display (according to the Scene number assigned switch) and then the MFC display will go back to the preset name.
If you use scene INCR/DECR than no, you will not see any changes on the MFC display.

When you say dedicated, do you mean the IA switches on the MFC itself?

I am using dedicated "external switches" (see pics). Version 1 MFC here.

The EXT4MFC must hook up differently? And like a regular IA must send more data than a regular external switch (or switches in my case) does...
And I'm not using inc/dec and can switch 4 scenes with the 4 external switches, but no scene numbers for me.

Thats why I was asking if there was a way to get the scene numbers on the display using an "External Switch" plugged into the external jacks...

But if thats not possible for now, its still a thread that is very important in showing details on how to set this up using external switches..!

Thanks again! :mrgreen

getPhoto.php

getPhoto.php

Last edited:
Ok, I now understand what is the problem….
My pedal board use an MFC switches for scene 2, 3, 4 and the external switching for Scene INCR/DECR.
I will check what happens with the MFC display when Scene 2, 3, 4 is done by the external ones and let you know.
Thanks.

Did you get to see what I was trying to explain RoadRunner? The external switches won't display on the LED screen for scenes when you set them up to switch them. I don't know if that is possible to change by an update but Im gonna keep asking for it until told otherwise :mrgreen

I've been asking for scene number permanently shown in display for months but so far nobody has bothered to state if it might be done in the future or cannot be addressed at all. I'd love to have some 'official' information about it since I'd hate to make changes to my pedalboard in order to see the scene I am on (I'm using external switches at the moment for scene switching) and after having finished find this feature in the MFC with the next update...

Back
Top Bottom