Control Scenes Using External Switch - Minus "Reveal"

Warrior

Power User
I is possible to control scenes using an external switch without having to step on "Reveal" first, correct?

Yes. Connect an external momentary switch. Assign to CC 34+value for specific scenes. Or other CCs to increment/decrement scenes.

Yup. Reveal is ONLY to temporarily change preset switches to CC/IA switches. So you can put Scene and other controls anywhere there is an available IA switch.

Yes. Connect an external momentary switch. Assign to CC 34+value for specific scenes. Or other CCs to increment/decrement scenes.

So, Yek, the row of switches in the external switch box you have with your MFC can be used to only switch between scenes like 1 through 5? (I'm just making sure I understand what you are saying)

No, I'm using them for other purposes: press-and-hold for a quick volume boost, for volume swells, and for an addtional delay boost.
I have assigned Scene switches on the MFC itself.

Finally got my switches wired up and I'm having problems getting this to work. I have XS1 CC set to 35 to control scene 1, CH01, TypHDW.... XS2 CC set to 36 to control scene 2, etc.

When I select each switch the MIDI IN light on my Axe II flashes but scenes do not change. In fact, when I select switch 4 not only does the MIDI IN light flash but the orange EDITED light on the Axe stays lit.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:
You've got the wrong CCS. Why use 35, 36 etc.?

By default CC34 is Scene Select. To select a specific scene you need to add a value to the CC.
CC 34 value 0 will select scene 1.
CC 34 value 1 will select scene 2.
Etc.

To make this work with a momentary switch, just enter the same value for both On and Off in the MFC configuration.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/images/6/6e/16.19_Factory_Default_Settings.pdf

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Preset_scene#Switching_scenes

Thanks Yek... I got it! I wasn't getting the "value" part of the equation. Now I have to figure out why scene 3 is coming up as the default scene for each patch.

Hmm.... noticed that when I change presets the scene lands on 1 and then changes quickly to scenes 2 and then 3 and stays on 3. Not sure why this is happening.

You can see it here.

Last edited:
Are the ext. switches set to Momentary on the MFC (Edit > Setup > XS ...)?
And are they set to typHDW in Edit > MIDI > XS ...?

Hey warrior

I suspect you wired that switch to the normally closed terminal of the switch.

Each of your switches has 6 terminals, 3 on one side and 3 on the other. The two sides mirror each other (red line on picture is the center line). The center terminals are the common. The terminals on each side of the center terminal are your normally open and normally closed terminals.

Here is a picture

132cd7d5-4229-4c3e-826b-9cd08d404191_zps21853ada.jpg

Last edited:

Try setting them to TypTOG instead.

Issue is that the MFC polls the switch states after switching presets. That's why you see the scenes changing. When set to TypTOG the MFC doesn't poll that switch.

Yek/Why360,
With the help of both of you guys it's resolved! Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I did this
Edit/Setup: XS1-XS4 - Type Momentary
Edit/MIDI: XS1-XS4 - #034 Ch01 TypTOG
Edit/MIDI XS1 - Off OFF On 016 (for Scene 1)
Edit/MIDI XS2 - Off OFF On 017 (for Scene 2)
Edit/MIDI XS3 - Off OFF On 018 (for Scene 3)
Edit/MIDI XS4 - Off OFF On 019 (for Scene 4)

My switches are wired as shown. However, the way I have my boxes oriented on my board (Left to Right) makes things a little goofy and I wanted to ask if I can change their order by reversing the red wires on the female jack? They are left to right:

Switch 2 & 1 - Switch 4 & 3

(UPDATE: Just switched the red wires and it did change the switch configuration as desired)

20130512_145318_zps03146fe5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Have setup my external switches to change scenes, works like a charm!
However switching a scene is only displayed in the Axe frontpanel, not in the MFC, is that correct?
When I use the "reveal- scene switch" on the MFC itself it does show scene 1..4 in the MFC
Anyone?

Last edited:
Have setup my external switches to change scenes, works like a charm!
However switching a scene is only displayed in the Axe frontpanel, not in the MFC, is that correct?
When I use the "reveal- scene switch" on the MFC itself it does show scene 1..4 in the MFC
Anyone?

Bump

Back
Top Bottom