Constant hum noise only on mid/high gain patches

Narcosis

Hey guys

Ive been using my axe-fx II for live for about 6 shows now and experienced no problems..but Im trying to do some recording and this is where the problem pops up.

As the title describes, even when all I have plugged in is my axefx into the powerpoint (tried multiple sources) and headphones there is significant noise and to make matters worse when I tap the axefx case I can hear that to?! like its that hot. This is all on my mid to high gain patches.

If I go to bypass its not a problem, even when i use some of the stock cleans with a bit of reverb its not a problem.

Please help me on this one guys Ive spent the entire day thinking it was how I was connecting it to my interface... :(

How bad is it? Try adding a noise gate block and see if it helps - the ends of notes might see some noise tho.....

I honestly cant record with it like this, on all patches the gates do their job but as you said I can still hear it as the gate closes off and I dont want to have to gate it to the point where its losing that oomph. I should also mention that yes its not as noticible on other patches with gates but the problem is still there and I can hear it everytime I press a button on the axefx ahahah..

It seems odd that you can hear noise when you tap the Axe-FX case. I just tried it with a very hi-gain patch and I get nothing like that. Have you tried different cables from guitar to Axe-FX? I'm wondering if a poorly shielded cable could cause this type of noise?

It's hard to totally eliminate hum, even with a well shielded and grounded guitar and isolated clean supply. The higher the gain is the more difficult it is to remove. It's just the nature of the beast.

Did you try another guitar and cable? also, try turning off your monitors, lights, dimmers, UPS, etc and see if it helps. Try another outlet in another location and see if it remains. Either way, it's not a problem with the axe, but the guitar itself, as the axe has no noise - it's all virtual/digital.

The microphonic type phenomenon you are experiencing is normal with really high gain, cliff said so here:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...e-some-tubes-there-my-axe-ii-microphonic.html

Yea I am but I have pulled the axe-fx out of that room, plugged it into a different wall socket and same issue with nothing plugged in. I tried to disguise it as best as I could making the gate hit faster..and I read that link that was posted and everyone of those guys is loving that its got this noise ahaha but for recording...Im looking at the waveform being recorded, which should be a clean signal seeing how there is no lead/instrument plugged in and the f#$%@r is recording the hum!

Last edited:
UPDATE: I turned off axe-fx while still connected via output of the axefx to input of mbox mini and HUM/NOISE REMAINS...so its got nothing to do with patches... :(

UPDATE: I turned off axe-fx while still connected via output of the axefx to input of mbox mini and HUM/NOISE REMAINS...so its got nothing to do with patches... :(

If the Axe is shut off and it's still humming...it can't be the Axe. Bad cable? Ground loop?

There's some info there that wasn't there before....I'm thinking that you have a ground loop in there somewhere.

When I turn off the axe with cables connected to my interface, I get a lot of noise, that's not unusual for any gear. If you have the axe on and with the cables connected (minus guitar cable) and you still get hum, then you might have a ground loop.

Did you also try lifting the ground n the back of the axe? Might help.

Post up a clip if you can, there are different types of hum and buzz that can be used to diagnose a problem.

Sit in front of your computer screen, on a high gain patch, volume on guitar on full, and move closer and away from the monitor... You'll hear it...

Now that we have this zombie thread, how about that case tapping sound? My both Axes do that.

Back
Top Bottom